TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Official Tesla Registry

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Stewart W, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Stewart W

Stewart W Member

Sep 5, 2008
    #1 Stewart W, Oct 31, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
    I suggested to Zak at Tesla Motors starting the subject ....but for several good reasons they declined. Typically Auto Registries are maintained by an enthusiast , car forum owner , car club etc..
    I have always registered my limited production cars and collectibles on official registries . The advantages to the owner community are considerable especially if the production worldwide is limited..The registries track following
    Owner, Location
    Vin #
    Build Date
    2nd owner
    Has anyone started a registry..planning to?
    Now would be the right time as the owner population is still rather small...
    An Example:
  2. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Tesla might be reluctant to promote one just now, given the large number of celebrities on their books.

But no harm for normal folk.
  3. graham

graham Active Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Aptos, California
    Last year one of the owners on the Owner's Forum... (tomsax? I forget) set up a web page that correlated owners and car colors with zip code. Only owners had permission to see it, however.
  4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2006
    CA CA
    I was told that the map was pulled down.

We have this.
  5. DDB

DDB Member

Sep 1, 2006
    It is a great idea. I think it's wise to keep it out of Tesla's (Inc. Corp. LLC?) ownership and control. It's a great way to locate parts, people, etc. But this would cost money, time, skills which I doubt many of us have to volunteer.
  6. donauker

donauker Member

Sep 5, 2006
    The map is still there. It started out as a voluntary sign-up item, then at some point Tesla Motors provided a zip code list of all owners at that time. It was said that one of the zip code map pins happened to be located almost exactly at a buyers property location. They thought the entire address information was provided and complained to Tesla. This resulted in the Tesla provided zip codes being removed from the map and reverting back to voluntary entries only.

The current map shows 110 US owners and 6 Europe owners.
  7. tomsax

tomsax Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Sammamish, WA
    Unofficial Tesla Owners Map

Cathy and I (mostly Cathy) do maintain an unofficial Tesla owner map. The story about Tesla giving us the list of zip codes and one zip code pin randomly landing on someone's house is correct. So, the map is totally voluntary.

We don't collect enough information to really be interesting as a registry, it's just a way for owners to see what other owners are nearby. We could easily evolve it if there's interest in the owner community, but it would probably be just as easy for someone else to start something completely new.

There is info about the map and how to submit information on the owners forum, look for the "Map of Tesla Roadster Owner Locations" thread in the "All Regions" topic.
  8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Aug 20, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    At some point such a list may have some value as a way for owners to offer to let others charge up their Roadster while they are on an extended road trip.
    I bet the number of owners willing or interested in doing such a thing could be small, but for those few it could be a good thing.