Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohio state legislature enacts $200 surcharge to register an EV!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed this on my registration form for 2020. If I paid for the renewal prior to the end of 2019 for 2020, the $200 fee was waived. They are starting to realize the potential loss of revenue from gas taxes. 10.5 cents per gallon state tax as of July 2019. As of 2/15/2019, the average Ohio resident spends between $701 - $1000 annually for gas. And based on the article from the link below, at $200 per year for a full electric car, it is still cheaper than paying the gas tax if you drive 20k miles per year as I do.

Is the gas tax increase enough for Ohio’s crumbling roads?

OGCIMQHSFNBJHBWTQVHHQR4K7Y.jpg

Here's how much an Ohio gas tax of 10.5 cents a gallon will cost Ohio drivers, and how much they pay now in other taxes

• Informative
Reactions: Ampster
Can you believe these morons? Completely corrupted by the oil and gas lobbies

What? We all knew this was coming.. it was just a matter of when.

The gas tax pays for the roads and maintenance. Should we not pay our fair share of that if we're using the same roads as ICE cars? What does the oil and gas lobbies get out of a road tax? The tires are the same, and in fact our cars are heavier due to the batteries, accelerating road 'consumption'.

edit: Why is this in the "site feedback" forum?

Reactions: Eclectic
In California, they raised the per gallon gas tax and added a fixed charge to the registration for my EVs. The more I drive the EVs that fixed charge costs me per mile. I am still ahead of the game because I got a $2,500 rebate from the state when I bought the EVs.

Last edited:
In California, they raised the per gallon gas tax and added a fixed charge to the registration for my EVs. The more I drive the EVs that fixed charge costs me per mile.

In CA for EVs, is it a fixed charge or a charge-per-mile?

Because if it's a fixed charge, the more you drive it, the LESS it costs you "per mile".

It's not a completely horrible amount, but it's still politicians taxing EV owners because "they can afford it".

I disagree... it's taxing EV owners because they use the same roads just like everyone else who buys gas, and they've been getting a 'free ride' for years now. It's time to pay a fair share of the costs to maintain those roads. It's not because "they can afford it".

Because if it's a fixed charge, the more you drive it, the LESS it costs you "per mile".

Which, if fuel taxes are sensible, is the wrong way round.

I disagree... it's taxing EV owners because they use the same roads just like everyone else who buys gas, and they've been getting a 'free ride' for years now. It's time to pay a fair share of the costs to maintain those roads. It's not because "they can afford it".

A Washington state legislator, when proposing a sharp increase in the fee, said of EV owners, that "they can afford it".

They are adding EV fees because of the loss of revenue, but they are using a _fixed fee_ because it's easy, not because of paying "fair share". Under your "fair share" logic, a person getting 20mpg driving an ICEV 2,000 miles per year isn't paying their fair share, because they'd only be paying $50.10 in fuel taxes and should be paying $200 instead.

In California, they raised the per gallon gas tax and added a fixed charge to the registration for my EVs. The more I drive the EVs that fixed charge costs me per mile. I am still ahead of the game because I got a $2,500 rebate from the state when I bought the EVs.

The joke is on Californians though. The extra money is being used mostly for turning freeways into toll roads. The streets are still crumbling.

Since EVs cost roughly $10k more than their ICE equivalents, you are front loading a bunch of sales tax, then still paying a yearly property tax on the car.

In our case that would be $800 more tax, or $160 a year assuming 5 years, plus the registration tax.

Everybody needs roads whether or not they drive. So in theory real estate property taxes should has a segment for roads.