Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gas vs EV in extreme cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you think EVs are not good for cold weather, it is actually worse for gas cars:

Water crystallization in fuel.

Engine block cracking due to improper antifreeze.

Oil pump failure due to extreme viscosity change.

Higher fuel consumption by not reaching the Hydrothermomechanical efficiency point.

Permanent damage to head gasket due to high point heat and cold cycle between the block and the head.

You see, at least your EV can keep on going, it's just goes less. Your gas car could fail all together.

If you think EVs are not good for cold weather, it is actually worse for gas cars:
You‘re kidding right? While ICE vehicles suffer in extreme cold (and heat), EVs suffer more - but both can plan and be prepared with a little knowledge. Listing some obscure potential ICE issues while ignoring probabilities proved nothing. EVs are newer so owners may not be as prepared coming from generations of experience with ICE vehicles.

You‘re kidding right? While ICE vehicles suffer in extreme cold (and heat), EVs suffer more - but both can plan and be prepared with a little knowledge. Listing some obscure potential ICE issues while ignoring probabilities proved nothing. EVs are newer so owners may not be as prepared coming from generations of experience with ICE vehicles.
Just saying something doesn't make it true. Research the stats yourself.

Just saying something doesn't make it true. Research the stats yourself.
I have. Range loss in extreme cold is more than double that of ICE vehicles, and charging is significantly slower in many situations. That’s a more probable issue than the outliers you listed. If you have credible stats suggesting otherwise, I’m sure we‘d all be interested. But again, EV owners can take steps to be better prepared for winter, some haven’t learned yet.

I lived in Denver for 14-years and the single biggest issue for ICE cars in the winter is they will not start, almost always due to a car owner failing to check and replace a weak battery before winter arrives. All of the other items noted by @shahryaran are either the result of a moron car owner or, in my view, are not problems worth mentioning because there are either trivial or very rare.

“Oil pump failure due to extreme viscosity change. ”
Real life example?

I have seen it twice over the years.
Ford FE 390 and M block 400 to thick oil viscosity resulting in extreme increase in resistance to turning the oil pumps gears

First crank at minus 20 Shears the roll pin on the distributor shaft gear which also drives the oil pump shaft. This also stops the distributors rotor until distributor is removed and a new roll pin installed.
The engine also needs to be retimed.

Had the engines had 5W- 20/30 it would not have happenned likely.

:):):)
I have seen it twice over the years.
Ford FE 390 and M block 400 to thick oil viscosity resulting in extreme increase in resistance to turning the oil pumps gears

First crank at minus 20 Shears the roll pin on the distributor shaft gear which also drives the oil pump shaft. This also stops the distributors rotor until distributor is removed and a new roll pin installed.
The engine also needs to be retimed.

Had the engines had 5W- 20/30 it would not have happenned likely.
Nothing like your story, but I got minor frost bite on the toes years ago when the 2 cans of "dry gas" , I think it was called..were not enough in the extreme winter cold in Vermont. Toes ok now, just old.

Reactions: Zer0t
:):):)

Nothing like your story, but I got minor frost bite on the toes years ago when the 2 cans of "dry gas" , I think it was called..were not enough in the extreme winter cold in Vermont. Toes ok now, just old.
Yep getting older as well. We just went through a cold snap here. Neither of our RAM diesels would start. Had I plugged in the block heater and a battery charger they would have but it was a an emergency call from a family member with frozen pipes and we had not planned to go anywhere.
The Model Y was -17*F interior temp outside was closer to -25 ambient. 10 minutes on defrost we left in the Tesla nice and toasty warm. I did have to wipe the seat down from dirt after the trip since it is a dirt floor under the house.

The Model Y gets points for that trip.

My oil pressure switch in my ICE car failed during a recent cold snap here and apparently is common:

Sorento (XM) vehicles exhibit engine oil leaks due to the rubber washer shrinkage of the oil pressure switch (OPS) under very low temperature -22℉ (-30℃))

$900 later im back in business.. thanks ICE car!