Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OHME and model Y amp charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - hoping someone can advise - looked on the whole forum but it’s not clear- i have an ohme pro home unit - first few charges no probs integrated with the app/API - notice last 2 charges didn’t meet the target and the tesla app charging is now stuck at 16amp or lower - the 32amp has gone …..please tell me it’s something i’m doing LOL and the car isn’t faulty ?

thanks in advance - apols for being the newbie

I would check your supply ac voltage.
If, during charging, the car has a dip in ac voltage it will reduce the charging current. When/if the ac voltage increases it will ramp the charging current back up maximum.
Maybe, the ac voltage is dropping when charging. You need to look at the Tesla app charging screen, when charging, to see what the ac voltage is doing...

Edit, Apps like TeslaFi are good at looking at how the voltage varies over time, etc.

Last edited:
I would check your supply ac voltage.
If, during charging, the car has a dip in ac voltage it will reduce the charging current. When/if the ac voltage increases it will ramp the charging current back up maximum.
Maybe, the ac voltage is dropping when charging. You need to look at the Tesla app charging screen, when charging, to see what the ac voltage is doing...
thanks for the advice - will do that tonight

FYI - the Tesla app will often show a max 16A charge option when NOT charging - once charging has started the 32A option reappears, can be selected (if not automatically), and will remain in place unless changed in the app/car later.

I often drop the charge amps when charging via solar with my Ohme, to allow for just inverter capacity usage, as it can't do solar natively, and have seen this happen frequently.

thanks for the advice - i think it’s intelligent octopus that is causing issues -i’ve looked at the dynamic charging curve and on 3 occasions it’s predicted a plateau to ‘balance the grid’ as it says i think the car is sensing that change and dropping the ampage - can manually change that on the car back to 32amp - and it’s charging normally but last night it hasn’t agin hit 100% only made it to 93 and it had plenty of time to do it. i’ll alter the schedule end to 5am and see if i can force it back to full !

FYI - the Tesla app will often show a max 16A charge option when NOT charging - once charging has started the 32A option reappears, can be selected (if not automatically), and will remain in place unless changed in the app/car later.

I often drop the charge amps when charging via solar with my Ohme, to allow for just inverter capacity usage, as it can't do solar natively, and have seen this happen frequently.
thanks for that - my first ev ID3 was less evolved and just used to get what it was given but was set to 80% charge - this car advises 100% once a week so i’m trying to comply. i’m considering a solar install but was concerned that i couldn’t use the OHME and was going to swap it for a ZAPPI - can you manually make the OHME use your solar set up? assuming your just going off the grid and direct charging from your system?

thanks for the info

thanks for that - my first ev ID3 was less evolved and just used to get what it was given but was set to 80% charge - this car advises 100% once a week so i’m trying to comply. i’m considering a solar install but was concerned that i couldn’t use the OHME and was going to swap it for a ZAPPI - can you manually make the OHME use your solar set up? assuming your just going off the grid and direct charging from your system?

thanks for the info
Not the Ohme per se, just adjust the charge amps in the Tesla app to below the inverter maximum so it doesn't draw from the grid. If on IO you do need to override that in order to prevent it stopping the charge until the cheap window.

Reactions: Billybobb2023