Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK, so...did everyone get their cars by the end of 2019?

For those that ordered by the cut-off of December 8, did you receive your Model 3 by end of year?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rev rec rules, most likely. As a credit, they can write it off as customer goodwill. As a price reduction, it affects gross margin calculations and EBITDA.

That's it exactly.

It seems that Tesla went all out to maximize 2019 sales/profits. The $1875 hit will occur in 2020. But all investors really care about is "what have you done for me lately?". Show them a profit of any kind and they will love you for life... or at least until the next quarter. A lot of the startup costs relating to Model Y/Cybertruck design and production, as well as the China plant have already been booked. Next year is bound to be more profitable in spite of the increased goodwill costs.

Ordered 10/26/19. The car was manufactured 12/25/19 & left the factory 12/26/19. It was delivered to the Portland Oregon Service Center & thoroughly detailed. The initial delivery date was scheduled fo 12/27/19 but postponed to 12/28/19 in the early afternoon.
Overall I was happy with the wait which was much quicker than the last new car we bought in 2005. That one, a Mini Cooper S, was ordered February 2005. We were told at order to expect to wait 10-12 months because of the popularity of the model. We expected to buy a 2006 model. We were lucky that the color we ordered was discontinued for 2006. Mini moved us up because we wanted a particular color & we got it in September 2005. I remember that day well & it was a major PITA working with the dealership. By comparison the Model 3 was a much shorter & less stressful process. No one tried to sell us unnecessary products. No finance manager tried to steer us into a high interest loan. Thanks Tesla for a better sales experience. When you order a popular car expect to wait.

Reactions: MagnusMako
Ordered 10/26/19. The car was manufactured 12/25/19 & left the factory 12/26/19. It was delivered to the Portland Oregon Service Center & thoroughly detailed. The initial delivery date was scheduled fo 12/27/19 but postponed to 12/28/19 in the early afternoon.
Overall I was happy with the wait which was much quicker than the last new car we bought in 2005. That one, a Mini Cooper S, was ordered February 2005. We were told at order to expect to wait 10-12 months because of the popularity of the model. We expected to buy a 2006 model. We were lucky that the color we ordered was discontinued for 2006. Mini moved us up because we wanted a particular color & we got it in September 2005. I remember that day well & it was a major PITA working with the dealership. By comparison the Model 3 was a much shorter & less stressful process. No one tried to sell us unnecessary products. No finance manager tried to steer us into a high interest loan. Thanks Tesla for a better sales experience. When you order a popular car expect to wait.

Congrats on your delivery !!!

I know everyone has been reporting their deliveries throughout the threads, but it's really hard to get a good idea of how many actually received their cars vs those that didn't. Take a moment to share whether you were successful or not!

I spoke with my SR in Santa Monica this evening as well as the sales team in MDR earlier today, and no one has received word from Tesla as to how the company plans to smooth over the inconvenience caused by delivery delays, loss of rebate, etc. Seems to be still evolving and largely unknown by all those on the front lines. I'm still waiting on my SR+. Since my current lease is up this weekend and I need a vehicle to drive, I even offered to extend my budget to take one of the available LR or P3D+ models if they could re-purpose the tax credit into a price adjustment, but no dice. No flexibility as of Friday PM.

I'm picking my sr+ today and tesla is cutting me a check for 1875, but I'll loose out on the state rebate due to my income changing. I told them I wasn't picking up the car until this was settled. If you ordered by a certain date, don't know exactly probably around dec 6th ish, tesla will cut you a check for the federal rebate. Sounds like my car spent new years eve on truck parked on the side of i5 as the driver rested.

I'm picking my sr+ today and tesla is cutting me a check for 1875, but I'll loose out on the state rebate due to my income changing. I told them I wasn't picking up the car until this was settled. If you ordered by a certain date, don't know exactly probably around dec 6th ish, tesla will cut you a check for the federal rebate. Sounds like my car spent new years eve on truck parked on the side of i5 as the driver rested.

There are no model 3 SR+ cars in stock anywhere in the country and a long line of people waiting to buy one. What it is you are asking them to do?

I'm picking my sr+ today and tesla is cutting me a check for 1875, but I'll loose out on the state rebate due to my income changing. I told them I wasn't picking up the car until this was settled.

Good luck with that. There are probably a dozen people in the SR+ waiting room thread that will happily take that car off of Tesla's hands at the Carlsbad store and be happy to take the $1875.

Reactions: Sherlo
Ordered White/Black LR AWD on 10/26. On 12/30 Got a text ask to confirm to be able to pick up at Fremont Factory next day so I confirmed. Website showed appointment at 8pm on 12/31. In the morning got a call to confirm the delivery and was told to wait for the text message before coming to pick it up. The time on website was not accurate. I wired "total due amount" over. We also canceled plans for NYE and were waiting for the whole day because they requested people to arrive at the Tesla Factory within 90 minutes of receiving that text! But I never received that text... Emailed delivery manager and no response. Now the tax credit has expired and the VIN also disappeared from the order web page! They have my money but failed to deliver as they promised. Even worse: no communication at all since then! Terrible car buying experience...

Reactions: Techlead13
Ordered White/Black LR AWD on 10/26. On 12/30 Got a text ask to confirm to be able to pick up at Fremont Factory next day so I confirmed. Website showed appointment at 8pm on 12/31. In the morning got a call to confirm the delivery and was told to wait for the text message before coming to pick it up. The time on website was not accurate. I wired "total due amount" over. We also canceled plans for NYE and were waiting for the whole day because they requested people to arrive at the Tesla Factory within 90 minutes of receiving that text! But I never received that text... Emailed delivery manager and no response. Now the tax credit has expired and the VIN also disappeared from the order web page! They have my money but failed to deliver as they promised. Even worse: no communication at all since then! Terrible car buying experience...

That's a lot of money for them to be holding onto while you have no car. I hope you are hounding them daily for an update!

They’ve told you they’re “cutting a check”? I’m assuming you mean offering a discount on the car and not an actual check?

I could see them cutting a check if the customer prepaid the full amount prior to being offered a discount. But if the customer had not paid yet I don’t see Tesla asking them to pay the full amount and them sending them a check. They don’t need to cut a separate check to code the discount to goodwill in their accounting system. That is just silly. They are not doing cash flow accounting.

My SA manually matched me to an SR+ yesterday with one of the inventories. (I ordered a SR on 11/16 but nothing yet).
He said very good chance that Tesla would send me a $1,875 check, but nothing confirmed.

My page however is still showing Vin:Null. Do you guys know when this will be updated or when I would be able to pick up the car?
The Fremont DC number is unreachable!

I could see them cutting a check if the customer prepaid the full amount prior to being offered a discount. But if the customer had not paid yet I don’t see Tesla asking them to pay the full amount and them sending them a check. They don’t need to cut a separate check to code the discount to goodwill in their accounting system. That is just silly. They are not doing cash flow accounting.

Right, I was assuming the vehicle was PIF and he was just picking up the car and a check at the same time. If the vehicle hasn’t been paid in full, that’s an easy treatment indeed.

More importantly though...if Tesla does offer to reduce the price of the car by $1,875, make sure they reflect the correct pricing in the MVPA. That’s the only way you know for sure that if you overpaid you can demand your refund.

An SA saying there is a “very good chance that Tesla will send me a check” means nothing to me.

Reactions: Techlead13