Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ok to do alignment outside SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to get an alignment on my 2020 model x. Firestone initially said they don't "have the software to work on Tesla". I called a different Firestone who checked with his manager after initially repeating a similar company line, and said sure why not.

Is this fine? I can't imagine Tesla themselves do an autopilot readjustment after a basic wheel alignment.

Trying to get an alignment on my 2020 model x. Firestone initially said they don't "have the software to work on Tesla". I called a different Firestone who checked with his manager after initially repeating a similar company line, and said sure why not.

Is this fine? I can't imagine Tesla themselves do an autopilot readjustment after a basic wheel alignment.
It is really depends on whether a specific shop has a Tesla trained tech on staff. Some do, some don't. You have to ask. In any case, alignments inside or outside Tesla will not affect your ability to get service on Autopilot.

Upvote 0
Had my front lower control arms replaced and my steering wheel was pointed way left and car was pulling left. Went to Pep Boys and they got everything back within specs and car's driving nice and straight. Paid an extra $20 or so to get a second alignment within a year for when I swap out tires. Total cost was around $120. My AP1 is working fine afterwards and I doubt Pep Boys reprogrammed anything.

Upvote 0
My experience trying to find an alignment shop might give you all the info you need to know (hint, it mostly matches what people have already told you):
1) First relevant shop I talked to that said they didn't have the tools necessary to follow all of the instructions their software provides for the alignment (these instructions came up based on VIN but included resetting and/or calibrating things that I've seen other sources say don't need reset/calibrated and also things that didn't even exist). Ultimately, they weren't willing to try.
2) Second relevant shop I talked to said "yeah, we can do it and have done others" but had to cancel when I showed up because their machine had been fried in a storm and their loaner didn't have the specs for it.
3) Third relevant shop I talked to said "yeah, we can do it" but ultimately found out they couldn't customize the specifications in their software, so they were limited to aligning it to the factory specifications. They were surprised by this because they'd never seen alignment specifications they couldn't customize.

FWIW, when I say "relevant" I mean I talked to other shops, but none they didn't want to work on Tesla and/or aftermarket, so there was no relevant information from those shops.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
Upvote 0
I went to a reputable alignment shop in Seattle that was recommended by a Tesla roadster repair/restoration business two years ago. They did a great job. I'm pretty leery of alignments done at the SC - I just had to return for a second go after the first left the vehicle pulling to the right. Took them three days to get the vehicle back to me, no idea why.

I'd ask around or call around to find a good alignment shop that does Teslas.

Upvote 0