Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Old Gas Auto Factory vs. Electric Factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a photo of the factory Ford is bragging out keeping in US and couldn't help but be startled by the complexity of all the greasy tubes and hoses...

BN-QW306_FORD5j_M_20161118104510.jpg

Compared to relatively simple and clean electric car build.

Tesla-factory-2-large_trans++5yQLQqeH37t50SCyM4-zeGtT0gK_6EfZT336f62EI5U.jpg

And am really wondering why we are still supporting the auto industry making those complex dinosaurs when it is so clear it is time to move on.

It is like if Apple made the iPhone, but the rest of the industry refused to stop making flip phones.

Crazy.

I've always thought that, if cars had developed as EVs and an Anti-Elon wanted to build a gas-powered car, every engineer he tried to hire would laugh and walk away at the thought of the amount of complexity they'd have to create to make a low-emissions gas-powered car with 200K mile durability.
"And how many precision machining operations did you say would have to be done to build and assemble that engine and transmission?"
"And you're going to do THAT to keep the emissions from poisoning people?"
"And owners will have to send it in for maintenance every 5000 miles? "
"And find a place to fill it up with gas every 200 miles?"
"And how many different kinds of fluids in how many different mechanisms have to be kept drip-free for 200K miles?"
"Have you considered what would heppen with all that flammable fuel in an accident?"
"You're simply crazy. Have a nice day and get away from me"

I've always thought that, if cars had developed as EVs and an Anti-Elon wanted to build a gas-powered car, every engineer he tried to hire would laugh and walk away at the thought of the amount of complexity they'd have to create to make a low-emissions gas-powered car with 200K mile durability.
"And how many precision machining operations did you say would have to be done to build and assemble that engine and transmission?"
"And how many different kinds of fluids in how many different mechanisms have to be kept drip-free for 200K miles?"
"Have you considered what would heppen with all that flammable fuel in an accident?"
Actually, cars did develop as EV's. Then, when Mr Ford could sell an entire car for the cost of an Edison battery, electric vehicles went away.
Until now.
Robin

• Informative
Reactions: Carl

Test drive of a petrol car - Tesla Club Sweden

:)

Is the initial post meant seriously?

a) any modern car production plant looks similar to Tesla's. The people at Ford obviously had their reasons for wanting to get rid of the old plant.
b) do you believe that the production of a Tesla is clean? Just look at the necessary mining of resources and the energy that's reqired for the production. Over all an EV is most probably "cleaner" than a conventional car. This doesn't mean that the production of an EV doesn't require significant resources, though.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cardforlife
a) any modern car production plant looks similar to Tesla's.

For an ICE car? There is a whole mess of complexity beyond an EV build. I mean, they have to build a whole power plant for each car. That's crazy. There is much more complexity in an ICE car plant as is shown in the photo.

b) do you believe that the production of a Tesla is clean?

Well, I meant clean from more a design point of view, but I'm sure the reduction of parts, tubes, lubricants, transmission, etc. etc. sure helps makes it cleaner from an environmental point of view than an ICE car build.

My main point is that wheels, battery, electric engine is a much simpler and efficient "aka clean design" way to make a machine that people use to move around, compared to the complexity of building a machine that needs a power plan to make explosions from flammable liquid.

For an ICE car? There is a whole mess of complexity beyond an EV build. I mean, they have to build a whole power plant for each car. That's crazy. There is much more complexity in an ICE car plant as is shown in the photo.

Well, I meant clean from more a design point of view, but I'm sure the reduction of parts, tubes, lubricants, transmission, etc. etc. sure helps makes it cleaner from an environmental point of view than an ICE car build.

My main point is that wheels, battery, electric engine is a much simpler and efficient "aka clean design" way to make a machine that people use to move around, compared to the complexity of building a machine that needs a power plan to make explosions from flammable liquid.

Well, if you look at the inside of a Model S battery with all its cells, chemical components, cables etc., that's quite complex as well.

Well, if you look at the inside of a Model S battery with all its cells, chemical components, cables etc., that's quite complex as well.

Nah, its just a battery of batteries.

Maybe you could say a tank of gas is less complex than a battery of batteries. But battery tech is really not so complicated.

But a combustion engine is way more complex than an electric motor, which really runs on a basic 100 year old principle.

At some point, the move to electric cars may happen just because they become way less expensive to build as cost of battery and electric motors continue to decrease, while combustion engine complexity refuses to become cheaper as it has and the choice will become obvious.

Maybe I'm a bit weird, but when I looked at the two pictures, I saw the cables and hoses hanging off the engine assembly, and imagined that mess that lives under the hood of my ICE, and compared that with the essentially clean EV motor assembly. I fully expect that any ICE factory looks an awful lot like the Tesla factory, but what they're bolting in is the difference.

Believe me, there's nothing worse than a "Check Engine" light that resolves to "Small vacuum leak detected", and you look under the hood at roughly 270 miles of vacuum tubing ranging from tiny 1/8" hoses to 1" hoses, and realize that any of those hoses or connections could be the issue, and because it's a "small leak" finding it it going to be nearly impossible.