Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Older DRL Lights - Fading/Yellow vs New

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought two used 2013 Model S headlights for my black out project. I notice the DRL LEDs are yellow/fading vs my stock/untouched 2014 DRL LEDs which is basically pure white. Is it because the LEDs have not been turned on in a while or is there a way that I can restore the LEDs to shine whiter? I know there is an issue with the new re-designed headlights but I cannot find anything on Google or this forum for the older headlights with the projector light.

Anyone can explain this to me? See photos. I will try to link a video as well.

The passenger side headlight is stock, and the driver side headlight is the used headlight I bought from eBay. Both used headlights though are more yellow than the stock headlights that came with the car.

F8582EE0-E124-476E-949F-B02978033528.jpeg
66105F21-D242-4159-941D-296E715CA9BD.jpeg
EFC95FF4-649B-4EB1-A59C-34BA5A9479D3.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had 3 DRL's turn yellow mostly in the inside corner. They are not LED's they are fluorescent. If you look at them in a dark garage you will see them glowing. Inside they have two high voltage leads going to them. I think the problem is with the gas inside getting contaminated or just the phosphorescent coating going bad, I doubt it is the power supply. House fluorescent lights do the same thing with time. Someone should make electroluminescent stickers to stick over them and wire up.

It actually wasn't that noticeable, except for me. When I asked people about it, they didn't notice. Also, I sold the car and now have a 2018 MS, which Tesla did replace both headlights due to the DRL not reaching all across the headlight.

Looking back at this though, it was a fun project.

I have had 3 DRL's turn yellow mostly in the inside corner. They are not LED's they are fluorescent. If you look at them in a dark garage you will see them glowing. Inside they have two high voltage leads going to them. I think the problem is with the gas inside getting contaminated or just the phosphorescent coating going bad, I doubt it is the power supply. House fluorescent lights do the same thing with time. Someone should make electroluminescent stickers to stick over them and wire up.
I cut one of my yellowed ones open. There are LEDs behind a florescent strip. I am trying to figure out what part # tag indicates that it is one that has had the problem fixed.