Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On board generator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you can find a way that actually works, it is probably worth trying. It seems rather more likely that you have another form of perpetual motion, but we won’t know unless you explain in more detail.
I guess it would be perpetual motion, as the engery would loop back. I would love to explain it more but to many smart folks in here and I haven't "protected" it yet.

• Funny
Reactions: DrDabbles
What would you use to recharge the battery? Wind? Tire rotation? On-board batteries? We've heard it all, they're all perpetual motion machines that just won't work.

I have tested the theory on a small scale earlier this year and it worked, I just need to get it on a larger scale. But I am not an engineer. I figured to ask here to see if I am not to late in this EV game and maybe get a team together.

as the engery would loop back.

As the energy would "loop back" there are always energy losses somewhere... so the only way to recharge the battery while driving, and have it work, is to get the energy from somewhere else -- not the battery, or the motion of the car, or the wind, or wheels, or heat, etc. And since the car is in motion, the only way to do that is solar... and the energy you can get from a roof sized solar panel is negligible, would only work in the direct sun, and would likely add weight to the car negating any additional energy produced by the cells.

Nobody is going to help you unless you describe the method or process. And since the USPTO will not grant patents for perpetual motion machines, there's no way to "protect" your idea.

• Helpful
Reactions: AndreN
I guess it would be perpetual motion, as the engery would loop back. I would love to explain it more but to many smart folks in here and I haven't "protected" it yet.

Your choice. I'm betting it won't actually work and provide a net gain in energy, but if it does you'd be a fool to tell us all how it works before you patent it.

Note that the Patent Office stopped taking Patents on perpetual motion machines without working prototypes a century or so ago.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
As the energy would "loop back" there are always energy losses somewhere... so the only way to recharge the battery while driving, and have it work, is to get the energy from somewhere else -- not the battery, or the motion of the car, or the wind, or wheels, or heat, etc. And since the car is in motion, the only way to do that is solar... and the energy you can get from a roof sized solar panel is negligible, would only work in the direct sun, and would likely add weight to the car negating any additional energy produced by the cells.

Nobody is going to help you unless you describe the method or process. And since the USPTO will not grant patents for perpetual motion machines, there's no way to "protect" your idea.

First I want to say thank you to you and everyone for the response. I appreciate any and all.

I agree on the lose of energy. that is why I don't think it can be fully regenerative but rather at the very least extending the range quite a but.
As far as patenting it wouldn't be for perpetual motion rather the mechanical way the transfer of energy is made.

Your choice. I'm betting it won't actually work and provide a net gain in energy, but if it does you'd be a fool to tell us all how it works before you patent it.

Note that the Patent Office stopped taking Patents on perpetual motion machines without working prototypes a century or so ago.

Thank you, I will definitely have to see a patent lawyer to discuss this situation for sure.

It is time to point out again here that the Tesla's already have systems that recover all the car's kinetic and potential energy they possibly can and return it to the battery. There is no other source of energy to tap. That's the physics.

GLC76 has eluded to the fact that he is looking at more efficient ways to recover the available energy so we can't accuse him of claiming perpetual motion. And there are other ways. One could put a windmill with generator on top of the car. One could recover the energy from wires cutting the earth's magnetic field as the car moves through it. One could lower a fifth wheel coupled to a generator to the pavement but I think it is pretty clear that none of these would come close in efficiency to generators coupled directly to the existing wheels of the car and that's what we already have. Given that, about the only way to improve recovery is within the generators themselves or the rectifiers/conditioners that convert the A/C to DC. There are still a few percent available there but Tesla has squeezed the coconut pretty dry. Also the maximum recoverable energy is only a fraction of the energy expended (most of which goes to warming the air, the road bed, the gearboxes and the tires) is recoverable. This is enough to make an appreciable difference in range but increasing the efficiency of recovery by a couple of percent will not produce an appreciable additional increment.

It is time to point out again here that the Tesla's already have systems that recover all the car's kinetic and potential energy they possibly can and return it to the battery. There is no other source of energy to tap. That's the physics.

GLC76 has eluded to the fact that he is looking at more efficient ways to recover the available energy so we can't accuse him of claiming perpetual motion. And there are other ways. One could put a windmill with generator on top of the car. One could recover the energy from wires cutting the earth's magnetic field as the car moves through it. One could lower a fifth wheel coupled to a generator to the pavement but I think it is pretty clear that none of these would come close in efficiency to generators coupled directly to the existing wheels of the car and that's what we already have. Given that, about the only way to improve recovery is within the generators themselves or the rectifiers/conditioners that convert the A/C to DC. There are still a few percent available there but Tesla has squeezed the coconut pretty dry. Also the maximum recoverable energy is only a fraction of the energy expended (most of which goes to warming the air, the road bed, the gearboxes and the tires) is recoverable. This is enough to make an appreciable difference in range but increasing the efficiency of recovery by a couple of percent will not produce an appreciable additional increment.

Agree in general.

There are places where the energy recovery is limited (full battery, cold battery,) and in situations where the car needs to be slowed sharply the peak recovery is limited because of the pack's capabilities, so there might be an opportunity for a capacitive recovery system or the like - save ~9% of the regen energy lost in the battery charge/discharge cycle and get the energy that's currently unrecoverable because of the battery limits.

But a capacitive system has to work at widely variable voltages, so you'd need a DC-DC converter to connect it to the rest of the system somewhere along the line (either battery to rest of system or capacitor to rest of system,) and the size of the converter will limit the output.

Whether the benefits can justify the cost/weight/volume is a good question, and there are safety issues with having large capacitors in a car as well.

Yes, super caps could be used to hold energy recovered when the battery can't be sink it.

Run some numbers for perspective. E.G. one can buy (Amazon) a 12 V 1000 F array for around $450. That can hold 1000*144/2 = 72 kJ which sounds like a lot (and is a lot for a capacitor) but is only 20 Wh.

This is something that I have thought about along with many, but does the kers system need capacitors? Or does it send recovery straight back to the battery?

This is something that I have thought about along with many, but does the kers system need capacitors? Or does it send recovery straight back to the battery?

The kers system? I'm not sure which one you're referring to; different ones work differently, including one with a flywheel for storage...

The current Tesla architecture sends energy from regen through the stock drive inverters and back to the battery pack. As discussed above, this isn't necessarily the optimal outcome, though it has the advantage of not needing any extra parts and does work very well in most circumstances.

Hopefully if it works, it will fit.