Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Man's P85+ versus P85 experience... am I being unfair to the P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a different experience with the P85+. It was cold out (below 32) and the damn tires constantly broke traction - I hated it.. I did like the suspension, but I would change out the summer tires and get 19 inch all seasons. Not so fun in the winter with the P85+. I bet it is awesome when it's above 60 degrees out...

Yes, of course, winter tires are a must. I use 19" rims and Nokiian Hakka R2s mid-November through mid-April, then switch back. With these winter tires, I'm doing very well in cold, snow and ice.

I had a different experience with the P85+. It was cold out (below 32) and the damn tires constantly broke traction - I hated it.. I did like the suspension, but I would change out the summer tires and get 19 inch all seasons. Not so fun in the winter with the P85+. I bet it is awesome when it's above 60 degrees out...

The only difference I found between my P85 and a P85+ loaner was that the P85+ was a lot noisier. In terms of handling and performance, it felt exactly the same. But I'm a Realtor and I don't drive on the race track. Just regular roads driven by regular people.

Hi, @AmpedRealtor,

IMHO, the noise differential is a function of the tire choice. On my P85+, I notice that the 19" Nokiian Hakka R2s sound noisier than my 21" Michelin PS2s. And, from driving other P85/P85+, the quietest tires by far that I've experienced are the stock 19s. So I'd agree with your perception that the P85+ is noisier, but I'd wonder whether a P85+ equipped with 19" stock all-seasons, matching the P85, would sound the same.

As for handling and performance, I'm an ordinary amateur driver; for what it's worth, I find my P85+ to be noticeably tighter on the handling than the P85s I've driven, and to be faster on launch as well. I'm sure that both statements are partly a function of the 21" performance tires, and lack the ability to distinguish how much of the improvement I perceive is from the tires versus differences in the suspension. I would have said that the P85+ drives "like it's on rails", but apparently that phrase is now owned by the P85D crowd. :)

In fact, when I bought the P85+, I was pretty convinced that I was just catering to my mid-life crisis. After all, "everyone" knew that chicks dig the + way more than the vanilla P85. (I tried explaining this to my wife, but surprisingly she seemed unimpressed with this argument.) It was only after I went back and did some more driving in P85s (and with the different tires sizes and all-seasons versus summer and winter tires on both the P85s and +) that I finally said to myself that I could feel a significant difference between + and non-+.

Oh, and I also walked away with a much, much deeper appreciation for the importance of winter tires versus summer tires in cold and inclement weather.

Just one man's opinion. :)

Alan

The only difference I found between my P85 and a P85+ loaner was that the P85+ was a lot noisier. In terms of handling and performance, it felt exactly the same. But I'm a Realtor and I don't drive on the race track. Just regular roads driven by regular people.

I would have said that the P85+ drives "like it's on rails", but apparently that phrase is now owned by the P85D crowd. :)

As a new member of the P85D crowd, having also owned a Sig P85 for over 2 years previously, the + suspension in the P85D is definitely stiffer, sharper, grippier, and more engaging. A huge upgrade. I'm very glad it was included in the price of the D.

Also note that a lot of the parts that were originally P85+ parts migrated down to the entire fleet, as evidenced by lolachampcar's investigations. So when comparing, the age of the P85 matters substantially.

I would love to find out how much has trickled down! I have a P85 (12/2014 build w/ autopilot). My car is in for service and have a P85+ loaner (9/2013 build). I'll put together a little comparison on a separate post.

I tried to list my P85+ on the forum today but the system faulted and the post went for "review" and never posted. Anyway, I have a 2013 P85+ with 21K miles and am open to reasonable offers, PM me if interested. If it doesn't sell soon, we will be tempted to trade it in. It's loaded with everything and has a full body Xpel wrap. It's an amazing car but my wife wants the auto pilot and AWD...

I ended up buying another Model S and got the P85+. The + is great in summer, but the expensive tires are not conducive to it being a daily driver, especially when you drive 30K per year.... I'm switching to 19's come winter with the Michelins All Seasons and the T Sportline TST 19x8.5 Metallic Gray. at $1700 for four, I may go with another aftermarket solution or pick up some stocks and have them power coated Metallic Gray.
My Stock 21's rear tires only lasted about 4000 miles, before the tread wear indicator was showing... @ $960 for two plus labor, it would cost me ~$10K per year assuming I have to change out the fronts every 8000 miles.... According to Tesla Michelin does not honor their tread wear warranty on the Pilot Sport 2's which is only 10K on cars that you can't rotate the tires on... they find every excuse in the world not to cover them, especially if they wear unevenly... which my did.

Michelin should pay their marketing manager an incentive for dreaming this one up "The Michelin Promise Plan". I have a new name for, but it's not appropriate to post here.

Last edited: