Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only able to charge at superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my LR 2021 a month ago and I'm having an issue with charging. Other than waiting a week for my service appointment I'm not sure what else to try about this issue.

Charging only works at tesla superchargers and it seems to work normally.
Charging on mobile connector does not work, at multiple outlets, using 10-30 and the house outlet, at 2 different houses in different towns.
- ill get cp_a053 (charging station not powered) about half the time and the other half it will recognize its plugged in and say 'ready to charge' but not actually charge.
- mobile connector solid green, ready to charge.
Id say its an issue with the mobile connector but...
Charging does not work at J1772 stations using the mobile adapter either. tried multiple in multiple towns.
- half the time ill get cp_a004, charging station not recognized, the other half ill get a charging fault on the station. ive tried flipped breakers but it seems like my car is causing the issue. other owners on plugshare report that the station works for the on the same day.

Ive tried rebooting the car.
Ive tried unplugging the 12v battery but it seems like the 2021 at least will run off the 82kw battery instead now?
Ive tried not using extension cables
Roadside service was not helpful.
Ive tried cleaning the connectors. There does not appear to be damage or debris.
Ive tried lowering the amp settings to 5,12,20,30,48 on each outlet.

My best guess is there is some kind of firmware bug? Or that elon disabled other chargers to make money off the $0.31/kw superchargers. I know its rediculous but this problem is super weird to me and Im out of ideas.

Thanks for any help or ideas you have.

I got my LR 2021 a month ago and I'm having an issue with charging. Other than waiting a week for my service appointment I'm not sure what else to try about this issue.

Charging only works at tesla superchargers and it seems to work normally.
Charging on mobile connector does not work, at multiple outlets, using 10-30 and the house outlet, at 2 different houses in different towns.
- ill get cp_a053 (charging station not powered) about half the time and the other half it will recognize its plugged in and say 'ready to charge' but not actually charge.
- mobile connector solid green, ready to charge.
Id say its an issue with the mobile connector but...
Charging does not work at J1772 stations using the mobile adapter either. tried multiple in multiple towns.
- half the time ill get cp_a004, charging station not recognized, the other half ill get a charging fault on the station. ive tried flipped breakers but it seems like my car is causing the issue. other owners on plugshare report that the station works for the on the same day.

Ive tried rebooting the car.
Ive tried unplugging the 12v battery but it seems like the 2021 at least will run off the 82kw battery instead now?
Ive tried not using extension cables
Roadside service was not helpful.
Ive tried cleaning the connectors. There does not appear to be damage or debris.
Ive tried lowering the amp settings to 5,12,20,30,48 on each outlet.

My best guess is there is some kind of firmware bug? Or that elon disabled other chargers to make money off the $0.31/kw superchargers. I know its rediculous but this problem is super weird to me and Im out of ideas.

Thanks for any help or ideas you have.

On-board charger has probably failed and needs to be replaced. It's rare, but it happens. Superchargers bypass the on-board chargers, hence why you can still charge that way.

Schedule a service appointment through the app.