Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding cooldown, and other such functionality:

Change Log is available here:

2018-06-26 MWJ 3.1.008 OTA release
- Vehicle theft alert if vehicle moved more than 500m when parked
- New 'location radius' command to set location radius
- Only issue 'location.enter' and 'location.leave' events if vehicle is ON
- Fix issue with OTA updates in 3.1.007

2018-06-18 MWJ 3.1.007 OTA release
- Logging: auto expire log archive
New config:
log [file.keepdays] = 30 0 = disable
New command:
log expire [days] Manual expire
Note: auto expire is done within hour 0 of day
- Web UI: simplified time zone region selection (vehicle config)
- Web UI: locations editor
- Prefer SPI RAM (on 3.1 hardware) for improved on-chip memory availability

2018-05-20 MWJ 3.1.006 OTA release
- Web status: panel auto updates, reboot button, SD card and modem status and control
- Twizy: sufficient charge notifications separated from charge state
- Webserver: setup wizard
- Notifications for charge and other standard events
- Notifications for vehicle error fault codes
- Notifications when new firmware is available / installed (autoflash)
- Charge Time Predictor for Tesla Roadster

2018-05-01 MWJ 3.1.005 OTA release
- Vehicle: 12V battery monitoring
vehicle [12v.alert] = 1.6 Voltage drop alert threshold in V vs. reference
- OTA: automatic daily firmware updates (wifi only)
auto [ota] = yes Enable/disable
ota [auto.hour] = 2 Hour for daily check
- Logging: persistent configuration, file cycling, web config UI:
log [file.enable] = no Enable/disable file logging
log [file.maxsize] = 1024 Max log file size in kB, 0 = no cycling
log [file.path] = "" Log path, if on /sd watches sd.mounted
log [level] Default level
log [level.<tag>] Component levels
- Reverse Engineering Tools enhancements
- Tesla Roadster CAC support
- Miscellaneous bug fixes and enhancements

The next v3.1.009 release will definitely have the following (as code already written, just not tested thoroughly):
  • Tesla Roadster: COOLDOWN command implementation
  • Tesla Roadster: Charge Timer support
  • Tesla Roadster: Digital Speedo feature implementation
The iOS App is lagging behind Android somewhat, and we are working on that. As always, this is an Open Source project, not a commercial product, and if anybody wants to help out (particularly on the Apps side now), that would be appreciated.

OVMS v3 v3.1.008 Over-the-Air firmware update | Open Vehicles

Today, we are pleased to release v3.1.008. Over 60 bug fixes and enhancements have gone into this release since the last public release (v3.1.006), and a summary of the major changes is here:

Firmware: 3.1.008

3.1.008 OTA release

3.1.007 OTA release
New config:
New command:

For full detail on all changes, check the GitHub revision history.
Please note the firmware v3.1.007 was never fully released (beyond testing release levels) as it had an issue with OTA updates. If you are running v3.1.007 you will most likely have to manually update to v3.1.008, using these instructions (only for those running v3.1.007):

1. Firstly, go back to factory firmware:

ota boot factory
module reset

2. After reset, connect to wifi and do a manual ota update:

ota flash http api.openvehicles.com/firmware/ota/v3.1/main/3.1.008.ovms3.bin
module reset

3. After that is done, check the version with:

ota status

You should be running 3.1.008 from an ota partition. Alternatively, you can download 3.1.008 from http://api.openvehicles.com/firmware/ota/v3.1/main/3.1.008.ovms3.bin directly and put as ovms3.bin on SD CARD to update from that.

The v3 modules can be updated over the air (wifi), via SD CARD, or over USB - all without requiring special hardware programmers like the PICKIT used for v2. The simplest way to update the module firmware is to connect it as a client to your wifi network (or phone hotspot), and then use the web interface Config / Firmware / Flash-from-Web; that will show you the version you are running, as well as the latest version available for update. One click on 'Flash now' and the update will be downloaded and installed. Alternatively, you can download the firmware update to a file named ovms3.bin in the root directory of a FAT formatted SD CARD and insert the card into the module's slot - the new firmware will be updated automatically and the file renamed ovms3.done to signify completion.

This firmware also includes the feature to check for and automatically update to newly available firmware, every night (so long as the vehicle is connected to WiFi). After updating to 3.1.005 or later, you can enable this for future firmware releases with 'config ota auto yes'.

Thank you for your support of the project.
Open Vehicles

Reactions: arijaycomet
Regarding the push notification alerts, they were released in 3.1.006.

You can test these with:

OVMS# notify raise text alert info Testing

I just tried on my car, and they seem to work ok for me. If you have issues with this, please raise a support ticket on www.openvehicles.com and we'll check your car.

That worked to send an alert over to my car. Maybe I’ll go plug it in now and see if I get a charging started alert. Just downloaded .008 too, so maybe that + reboot helped :)

What does the cooldown feature do?

Short story: A 'cooldown' is a low current RANGE mode charge designed to cool down the battery below 31C while using as little power as possible.

Long story:

The 'magic' temperature for a roadster ESS (aka battery) is 31celcius. Below that, the coolant pump turns off, and car can sleep peacefully. Above that, the little coolant pump keeps running and car doesn't fully go to sleep. Doing a charge often brings the battery temperature down (via active cooling using HVAC and fans), but maybe not sufficiently. You may also not want to fully charge when you arrive home, but delay the charge until later to take advantage of cheaper off-peak electricity rates.

The COOLDOWN functionality was first introduced with the Tesla Tattler product (does that exist any more?). The idea was to provide a facility to cooldown the battery by performing a controlled charge. The algorithm goes something like this:
  1. A low current (10A or 13A) charge is started in RANGE mode.
  2. Every minute or so, the car is switched to PERFORMANCE mode for a few seconds, then back to RANGE mode.
  3. The above should persuade the car to start the HVAC to actively cool the battery.
  4. An HVAC starting, running for a few seconds, then stopping is called a 'cooldown cycle' and we can typically persuade the car to do that once every ten minutes or so. It is actually probably not a good idea to cooldown too fast (excessive thermal shock to the battery cells, condensation in the ESS, etc, etc).
  5. The cooldown algorithm will normally have two thresholds to stop cooling down. (a) a preset temperature is reached (eg; 31celcius), and (b) a certain number of cooldown cycles (eg; 6).
  6. When cooldown is stopped, the charge is stopped, and charge limits and mode restored to what they were before.

I upgraded as one of the early users to the OVMS v3.1 Kit w/EU 3G Modem Module. S/W Version is 005.
It has been working perfectly over the last 2 months until this monday, two days ago, when the Roadster had to go back to its old parking area. Obviously the GSM connection was lost when I parked the Roadster in this ground floor garage. The Roadster has previously been parked many times at various occasions in the same spot when I had the OVMS v2 module installed. The GSM connection was in the past (with V 2.) fine for my APP communication. Monday I still got an ok signal on my Iphone in the car in the garage, but it seems like the new 3G modem looses signal when it is in the garage. Does the new modem require a better quality signal than the old V2. modem?

The GSM connection was in the past (with V 2.) fine for my APP communication. Monday I still got an ok signal on my Iphone in the car in the garage, but it seems like the new 3G modem looses signal when it is in the garage. Does the new modem require a better quality signal than the old V2. modem?

New modem supports all the old 2G frequencies, plus the new 3G frequencies. But, it is a different modem chipset, so most likely behaves differently. Also, the carriers around the world have been deprecating 2G so in general 2G availability has been deteriorating over time.

If coverage is very borderline, perhaps try a different antenna? The old OVMS v2 2G antenna (the flat one stuck on the car window/frame) doesn't support the new 3G frequencies perfectly.

The old OVMS v2 2G antenna (the flat one stuck on the car window/frame) doesn't support the new 3G frequencies perfectly.

That is interesting —- because the only one listed on your official parts site is this one:
$3.68 (Free Shipping) OpenVehicles OVMS GSM Antenna (GSM Antenna) at m.FastTech.com

So are you saying there is a better antenna option out there? I’m personally not GSM/antenna savvy. I’m sure there are options on Amazon or such. But I wouldn’t know where to even start.... if you are suggesting an alternate style antenna, are you going to end up linking to/selling them too? TIA!

That is interesting —- because the only one listed on your official parts site is this one:
$3.68 (Free Shipping) OpenVehicles OVMS GSM Antenna (GSM Antenna) at m.FastTech.com

So are you saying there is a better antenna option out there? I’m personally not GSM/antenna savvy. I’m sure there are options on Amazon or such. But I wouldn’t know where to even start.... if you are suggesting an alternate style antenna, are you going to end up linking to/selling them too? TIA!

The user guide describes it as:

Upgrading from OVMS v1/v2
The antenna and vehicle connectors for OVMS v3 are the same as for OVMS v2, and existing cables/antennas can generally be re-used for OVMS v3. Note, however, that the frequency ranges supported by individual 3G networks may be different than 2G, so may benefit from an antenna specifically designed for the 3G frequency ranges used.

The antenna you show (on fasttech site) is the old 2G one from the v2 days. The frequency ranges are close, but don't cover the higher 3G ranges.

There are many 3G antennas out there (most of which cover 2G ranges as well). An amazon/google search for '3g antenna sma' shows a bunch. USA prices are way higher than China, and we are evaluating some locally to try to find a good deal that can go up on Fasttech.

Bug/error report:

When charging was complete, push notification works fine. However the “tag” for the miles is wrong. I have an R80 3.0 pack and at 83% SOC my car is at 213 miles. In the ovms iOS app this shows correctly as “213m” (note: M = Miles).

However where the bug exists is the push notification iOS message on my lock screen. It showed “213km” which is the wrong tag. Number is correct. Modifier “km” after is wrong. I verified in settings on ovms html config screen it IS indeed set to miles. Thanks!

The user guide describes it as:

The antenna you show (on fasttech site) is the old 2G one from the v2 days. The frequency ranges are close, but don't cover the higher 3G ranges.

There are many 3G antennas out there (most of which cover 2G ranges as well). An amazon/google search for '3g antenna sma' shows a bunch. USA prices are way higher than China, and we are evaluating some locally to try to find a good deal that can go up on Fasttech.
Thanks, I have already ordered a new arial, this will take some time from China, if succes, I will let you know. The biggest problem is the size. The fasttech version were very easy to fit. I am not sure with the new one!

OVMS v3 v3.1.008 Over-the-Air firmware update | Open Vehicles

Today, we are pleased to release v3.1.008. Over 60 bug fixes and enhancements have gone into this release since the last public release (v3.1.006), and a summary of the major changes is here:

Firmware: 3.1.008

3.1.008 OTA release

3.1.007 OTA release
New config:
New command:

For full detail on all changes, check the GitHub revision history.
Please note the firmware v3.1.007 was never fully released (beyond testing release levels) as it had an issue with OTA updates. If you are running v3.1.007 you will most likely have to manually update to v3.1.008, using these instructions (only for those running v3.1.007):

1. Firstly, go back to factory firmware:

ota boot factory
module reset

2. After reset, connect to wifi and do a manual ota update:

ota flash http api.openvehicles.com/firmware/ota/v3.1/main/3.1.008.ovms3.bin
module reset

3. After that is done, check the version with:

ota status

You should be running 3.1.008 from an ota partition. Alternatively, you can download 3.1.008 from http://api.openvehicles.com/firmware/ota/v3.1/main/3.1.008.ovms3.bin directly and put as ovms3.bin on SD CARD to update from that.

The v3 modules can be updated over the air (wifi), via SD CARD, or over USB - all without requiring special hardware programmers like the PICKIT used for v2. The simplest way to update the module firmware is to connect it as a client to your wifi network (or phone hotspot), and then use the web interface Config / Firmware / Flash-from-Web; that will show you the version you are running, as well as the latest version available for update. One click on 'Flash now' and the update will be downloaded and installed. Alternatively, you can download the firmware update to a file named ovms3.bin in the root directory of a FAT formatted SD CARD and insert the card into the module's slot - the new firmware will be updated automatically and the file renamed ovms3.done to signify completion.

This firmware also includes the feature to check for and automatically update to newly available firmware, every night (so long as the vehicle is connected to WiFi). After updating to 3.1.005 or later, you can enable this for future firmware releases with 'config ota auto yes'.

Thank you for your support of the project.
Open Vehicles
Thanks Mark

I replaced 007 by 008

Alerts seem to work now

Upgrading from .006 to .008 (plus a reboot) seems to have resolved my lack of alerts issue. Though as noted in prior bug report, miles vs kilometers issue persists now. But yeah, alerts are 100% spot-on working great in v.008
Great, glad the update helped. Still a puzzle as to why, since I was on .006 and that worked just fine too... {shrug} I'm now on .008 too, so let's keep an eye on things.

I've noticed the metric/imperial label mixup too. It's also wrong on the Android version.

Bug/error report:

When charging was complete, push notification works fine. However the “tag” for the miles is wrong. I have an R80 3.0 pack and at 83% SOC my car is at 213 miles. In the ovms iOS app this shows correctly as “213m” (note: M = Miles).

However where the bug exists is the push notification iOS message on my lock screen. It showed “213km” which is the wrong tag. Number is correct. Modifier “km” after is wrong. I verified in settings on ovms html config screen it IS indeed set to miles. Thanks!

I raised a bug report for you:

Charge complete push notification units (km vs miles) · Issue #138 · openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3

Thanks, I have already ordered a new arial, this will take some time from China, if succes, I will let you know. The biggest problem is the size. The fasttech version were very easy to fit. I am not sure with the new one!

I have very poor cellular service at my home (even phones don't work). With my standard little 2inch stubby 3G antenna on OVMS, testing last night, I got no signal and no cellular providers could be found when scanning. Replaced it with a 12inch monster antenna, and picked up a 2 bar connection just fine.

By comparison, at my office, even with no antenna connected, I can get 4 bars.

If coverage is good, the antenna doesn't matter. But in areas of poor reception, it makes the difference.

• Informative
Hi All,

I was excited to install my first OVMS 3 last weekend.
Mark helped me very much to overcome a quirky setup problem.
I am on the 008 software now and it works great.

The building the Roadster is parked in is very similar to a Faraday cage.
It has metal walls and a metal roof.
Poor cell signal area and no WiFi in the building.
I ordered a GSM 850MHz cell phone signal booster from Amazon.

Within 10 minutes of ordering the signal booster I started getting alerts
from the car: Charging started - Charging completed...

At a constant -103 dBm signal strength, I think the booster will help.
I will report back after it is installed.

Shawn

I have a question - is there a way to program OVMS v3 to fire the "homelink" command when the roadster transmission is put into "D" within a specified location radius?

The garage door opening feature is the one OVMS feature I enjoy every day. Therefore, I spent some time in setting up my OVMS v3 module to open the garage door like my OVMS v2 did fairly reliably (OVMS v2 would work probably 95% of the time to open the garage door upon arrival).

My understanding is that what was done with OVMS v2 with the homelink command was sort of an imprecise kludge with both the radius metric (100 meters in OVMS v2), and the length of time the homelink command was delivered (10 seconds in OVMS v2), with neither parameter being further settable (these OVMS v2 numbers are my understanding from reading previous posts - please correct me if I am wrong).

While my OVMS v2 garage door opening function did work, what I did not apparently appreciate was that while it was firing the homelink command some 100 meters out, the homelink signal was not being received by my garage door opener until I was maybe 30 meters out. It was only because it continued to fire for 10 seconds that when I got to the 30 meters distant point that it triggered the garage door to open. Thus, for OVMS v3, I set the radius to 40 meters, and the homelink firing time to 5,000ms which seems to work reliably so far.

I also became intrigued with setting OVMS v3 so that it would close the garage door when I leave. I therefore set up a separate location which I called "garage-leave" and experimented with various radii. Too far and the homelink command would fire when out of range -- to close and the garage door would close upon turning on the car while in the garage due to GPS drift. I think I have finally settled upon a radius of 8 meters from the center point of my car in the garage with the location specified as "garage-leave" but I am still experimenting with that. To set this up, rather than using an "enter" and "garage" in the command line "vfs mkdir /store/events/location.enter.garage", I substituted "leave" and "garage-leave" for "vfs mkdir /store/events/location.leave.garage-leave", and then appended a "homelink 1 3000" to that "/store/events/location.leave.garage-leave" file to fire homelink for 3 seconds upon leaving. It seems to work, at least for the last several times I have used it since I set it up yesterday.

So my question is, to make the closing of the garage door upon departing more reliable given the small radius and potential for GPS drift, is there a way to program OVMS v3 so that it fires the homelink command when the "D" drive button on the transmission is pushed, and ideally only within the specified garage radius? That way, after backing out of the garage, the garage door homelink command would be sent upon putting the car into "Drive"?

I welcome any advice on this. Thank you.