Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in OVMS but haven't got around to looking at it yet.
Does it require any modification to the car to install? I don't want to install it if I need to drill or cut anything as I would like to be able to remove it without trace if needs be.
Does anyone know who is running the server side? Is it using the server being run by the Tesla guys in the USA?
I see that ZCW is offering the hardware on their web site. What would I need to install? Is everything available on ZCW? How much does it cost overall to install?
I might give this a go.
-Topazy

I am interested in OVMS but haven't got around to looking at it yet.
Does it require any modification to the car to install? I don't want to install it if I need to drill or cut anything as I would like to be able to remove it without trace if needs be.
Does anyone know who is running the server side? Is it using the server being run by the Tesla guys in the USA?
I see that ZCW is offering the hardware on their web site. What would I need to install? Is everything available on ZCW? How much does it cost overall to install?
I might give this a go.
-Topazy
OVMS does not require any modifications to the vehicle to install. It plugs into a diagnostic connector.

The server is hosted by the operators of this Tesla Motors Club but "run" primarily by Mark Webb-Johnson who heads the development of OVMS.

There have been two versions of OVMS produced and sold so far, but the third version, which is significantly more capable, is in the final stages of development. From what I have read, I think there may not be any more inventory of the older versions available, although ZCW may have some.

I mounted mine in the passenger footwell using 3M command strips. There’s an external antenna, which I ran under the passenger door sill up to the rear window where it mounts with adhesive tape.

• Informative
Reactions: Rolf68 and dhrivnak
OVMS does not require any modifications to the vehicle to install. It plugs into a diagnostic connector.

The server is hosted by the operators of this Tesla Motors Club but "run" primarily by Mark Webb-Johnson who heads the development of OVMS.

There have been two versions of OVMS produced and sold so far, but the third version, which is significantly more capable, is in the final stages of development. From what I have read, I think there may not be any more inventory of the older versions available, although ZCW may have some.
Thanks!

I have a OVMS module V.2 with what i believe have the latest s/w installed
Due to charging My BMW i3 from the same plug using 6 A and that I am limited to a max of 10 A for the two cars, I would like to time the two cars not to charge the same time to blow the fuse. If I adjust the roadster for timed charging on the VDS it seem only to respect the setting once, next time, then it goes back to anytime charging is needed. Can I set the charging time fixed each eveni’ng T. Ex. At 8.00 - and stop it at 12 am without having to redo every day?

I have a OVMS module V.2 with what i believe have the latest s/w installed
Due to charging My BMW i3 from the same plug using 6 A and that I am limited to a max of 10 A for the two cars, I would like to time the two cars not to charge the same time to blow the fuse. If I adjust the roadster for timed charging on the VDS it seem only to respect the setting once, next time, then it goes back to anytime charging is needed. Can I set the charging time fixed each eveni’ng T. Ex. At 8.00 - and stop it at 12 am without having to redo every day?

The stock roadster should remember your charge setting, per location. If it is not doing that, then check the car's GPS (not the Alpine/infotainment GPS). In the little VDS screen does it show altitude and direction when you drive? Does the OVMS App show the location correctly when parked and driving?

OVMS v2 can also do what you want, with ACC and the latest Tesla Roadster (not production) specific firmware. However, that again relies on the car's GPS (for ACC geofencing).

Reactions: dhrivnak and ICON
Thanks Mark, the OVMS App show the correct location when parked. The present problem is that the Roadster is parked in a garage run by a community. There is various maintenance going on at the moment where the power at the moment is disconnected nearly daily. It seems that the Roadster remember the setting of max. AMP’s for the charging related to the location, but when I set the timed charging in the little VDS (or delayed charging) it is not remembered as a daily setting but only used once. I cannot confirm the altitude and direction information in the VDS as I at the moment is out traveling.
The OVMS v.2 do show the correct location of the car. It would be much better if I could remotely fix the timing issue through ACC. Could you please give me a hint where to find the instruction to set up timed charging with ACC? Nis

@markwj ...... any update on availability date of V3?

Pre-launch announcement went out to all registered users earlier this month. Here it is:

OVMS v3 Pre-Launch Announcement | Open Vehicles

First batch is in production now (just about to enter QC phase), and we still estimate availability on Fasttech late this month (March 2018).

But, please note that this first production batch is intended for experienced OVMS v2 users and v3 developers.
  • Firmware is not complete, and should be considered beta
  • Functionality is approximately equivalent to basic OVMS v2 firmware, but some advanced features (such as ACC, SMS control, etc) are not available yet
  • Firmware is far in advance of v2 in other aspects (such as built in web server, metrics, console, tcp/ip support, diagnostics, geofencing, scripting, etc)
  • Firmware can be updated either Over The Air (OTA), by Micro SD card, or over USB interface
  • Vehicle support currently includes: Kia Soul EV, Nissan Leaf, Renault Twizy, Tesla Roadster
The antenna and vehicle connectors for OVMS v3 are the same as for OVMS v2, and existing cables/antennas can generally be re-used for OVMS v3. Note, however, that the frequency ranges supported by individual 3G networks may be different than 2G, so may benefit from an antenna specifically designed for the 3G frequency ranges used.

Tried to order a European version, but Fasttech says it has sold out. Is this correct? When can we expect the next delivery? And thanks for all the work!

Sorry, but the EU version sold out in five hours. There is still stock of US kits. As the old adage goes "no plan survives first contact with the enemy", and I admit to being surprised by how quickly the EU kits went.

The idea for this first production batch was to make this original batch of 120, and get them in the field in the hands of developers and technical component people (anything else, and the developers would most likely be swamped with dealing with support and installation issues). Then, wait a couple of weeks to ensure no hardware issues (either design or production). If ok, then proceed with a larger second batch. The hardware design is finalised, and has been thoroughly tested at the component level, but we are still wary as real-world deployments tend to show up things not seen when numbers are more limited. I still think that is a reasonable plan, so would mean the next batch go ahead would be probably mid April, with available early to mid May. From then onwards, we can keep plenty in stock.

I will be getting some kits (both EU and US) directly to me, in addition to those going to Fasttech. If a developer, or technically component user, really needs one urgently, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Reactions: dhrivnak
This pretty much sums it up:

oos-png.289240

The idea for this first production batch was to make this original batch of 120, and get them in the field in the hands of developers and technical competent people (anything else, and the developers would most likely be swamped with dealing with support and installation issues). Then, wait a couple of weeks to ensure no hardware issues (either design or production). If ok, then proceed with a larger second batch. The hardware design is finalised, and has been thoroughly tested at the component level, but we are still wary as real-world deployments tend to show up things not seen when numbers are more limited. I still think that is a reasonable plan, so would mean the next batch go ahead would be probably mid April, with available early to mid May. From then onwards, we can keep plenty in stock.

I will be getting some kits (both EU and US) directly to me, in addition to those going to Fasttech. If a developer, or technically competent user, really needs one urgently, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited:
The 3.1 boxes have started arriving, and requests for support start coming in. So far, mostly just things due to lack of documentation (things like baud rate for USB serial connection not being documented anywhere). The users seem to be reasonable technically competent so far (which was the original plan).

We have a new support ticket system now running at www.openvehicles.com.

If anyone can volunteer to help support users, that would be most appreciated. Just take on the cases you can, or answer those that you have particular expertise with. It would be helpful if those responsible for individual vehicles / functionality could sign up anyway and just take on the cases (or be assigned them) when someone asks about those specific area of expertise.

Another way to help out is to have a periodic review of the support tickets, and take common requests and provided answers, to update the User Guide with the information.

If you can volunteer some support time, just let me have your login ID or eMail address you use on www.openvehicles.com, and I will upgrade your permissions to let you view and/or help with support tickets. The tickets themselves are relatively easy to handle. Once you have permissions set on your account, you’ll see a “Support tickets” link appear in the navigation side bar. Users raise tickets, and they are assigned to support volunteers. The tickets can be answered, and everyone involved on that particular ticket is automatically emailed the response.

I’m trying to get the eMail integration working, but for the moment the tickets need to be updated from the web site interface.

No specific time commitment necessary. Just help out whenever you can.

Thanks, Mark.