Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first thought is that we're taking this automation thing a bit too far. Occam's Razor, and all that.

.... But reading one's mind is not currently in the API, so be careful what you ask it to do. :)

Greg,
That’s the issue with Rube Goldberg engineering. Too delicate for the real world. Hence the point about the car being possessed. :)

Last edited:
The ACC in v2 is pretty limited (due to code and ram storage limitations). v3 has much more of both, and a powerful scripting language. The events system is also more rich. For example, in v3 we have 'location.enter.X' and 'location.leave.X' events which can trigger scripts.

It seems like Mark will just alert interested people on this forum that the V3 OVMS is available at Fast tech when it is. No need for a list. These are not being assembled by hand like V1. Perhaps a note from Mark will confirm...

It seems like Mark will just alert interested people on this forum that the V3 OVMS is available at Fast tech when it is. No need for a list. These are not being assembled by hand like V1. Perhaps a note from Mark will confirm...

Yep, exactly. We'll announce it here, twitter, website, etc, and to all existing owners, when ready. I also suspect that there will be a handful of "It's up on Fasttech! I've ordered!" messages going around.

We're still waiting for feedback from Espressif (the chip manufacturer) regarding the SDCARD vs 16MB flash issue we're seeing. Once that is done, the GO button will be pushed. Firmware with basic functionality seems good to go now.

• Informative
Reactions: Oricle and dhrivnak
... in v3 we have 'location.enter.X' and 'location.leave.X' events which can trigger scripts.

Very cool. Looks like I won't have to outclassed by my wife's Model 3 after all. Notice the "Auto-close when leaving option." The distance option is settable in 10ft increments - I didn't push to see how far it would let me set it.

HomeLInkSettings.jpg

Oh, and it gives a nice countdown on the touchscreen as you approach.

An issue was found with the SD CARD on the 10x developer units produced earlier. It just wasn't reliable. This has been delaying us for weeks now, trying to get it resolved. The chipset manufacturer hasn't been very helpful, and it has been very hard to get them to recognise the issue and engage to help resolve it. The issue seems to be a fundamental compatibility issue between the external SPI flash memory we are using and the SDIO SD CARD hardware interface. We are not sure if it is just a circuit issue (interference, bus timing, etc), a library issue in the SDK, or something more fundamental. The good news is that the chipset manufacturer has now engaged and is actively working on it - they ordered some custom PCBs to try to recreate the problem, which they received a couple of days ago. We're expecting to hear back any hour/day now; not going to hit that manufacture button until 100% certain the issue is in software (not hardware).

This SD CARD issue is the final issue we've identified. Everything else is ready to go. Timeframe for OVMS v3 to be available on FastTech is 14-to-21 days after the SD CARD issue is resolved.

Glad (ecstatic?) to say that the SDCARD vs 16MB flash issue has been resolved in software. The chip manufacturer has pushed the fix to the latest version of their SDK, and that is running well against our existing OVMS v3 developer hardware.

We're now finalising the final chipset module choice, and will make one final test board before hitting the MANUFACTURE button. Firmware is being ported to the new SDK version, and final pieces being put in place.

Timing wise, China manufacturing shuts down in the second half of February for the Chinese New Year festival (and holidays). We're trying to get this done before then.

I received this mail from Hologram yesterday....

Hello,

We wanted to reach out and let you know about a change to our phone number policy that will go into effect soon. Starting March 1st, 2018 we will be charging accounts a monthly fee per phone number owned. The fee will be equivalent to the price of the phone number which is $1.00 for most countries. This change is required to continue support of this feature for devices on our platform.

Best,
Hologram Operations

Commonly Asked Questions:

How can I cancel my phone number:
If you wish to remove your phone number, go to your device's Configuration page and click on the "Remove" button beside the phone number.

If I understand correctly when we are using the app with IP we don't need the phone number. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Jonathan

@markwj do you think the issue I have with my Verizon phone service not receiving text messages from Hologram because it appears to be coming from a fake country code will be resolved in the OVMS V3 since it will be set up differently? I am looking forward to being able to use the full functionality of OVMS by being able to communicate bi-directionally with my car.

@markwj do you think the issue I have with my Verizon phone service not receiving text messages from Hologram because it appears to be coming from a fake country code will be resolved in the OVMS V3 since it will be set up differently? I am looking forward to being able to use the full functionality of OVMS by being able to communicate bi-directionally with my car.

From my understanding, the issue is that Verizon is rejecting the SMS reply from Hologram (because they don't like the country code and think it is spam). There is not much we can do about that - it is Verizon's policy.

The only workaround I know of is that kludgy thing to get the SMS replies to go elsewhere and convert to eMail/whatever.

For OVMS v3, while we still support SMS control, we also now support commands over IP. That will allow you to issue any authorised command directly from the smartphone Apps (over the IP network connection).