Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It only takes a few minutes.

Let's arrange a time and place where we can show off our Roadsters. Then, just disconnect and open your OVMS, hook it up to my laptop for a couple of minutes, then close up and re-connect. I'm happy to come down your way for this.

Android App v3.2.2 released to Google Play | Open Vehicles

The latest v3.2.2 of the Android App has been released to google play. This version sees us switch to use google play services and v2 of the maps api. It also sees the integration of Open Charge Map released to everyone. Finally, the server to be used is now configurable on a per-vehicle basis (and defaults to tmc.openvehicles.com).

It has already been uploaded, and should be available for download within the next few hours.

We <heart> OVMS

Last night after a particularly chaotic trip to the local swimming pool and a subqequent car swap, my better half managed to lock both sets of Roadster keys and both of our iPhones in the trunk of the Roadster after I had left in another car. This happens because the Roadster trunk can be opened using the key fob, then closed manually, without unlocking the car, and children can help by distracting you while you do this. She had to borrow a stranger's cell phone to call me and wait with one of our kids for rescue.

Anyway I'm not sure how we would have recovered from this without breaking into the trunk or calling Tesla... But thanks to the OVMS I was able to quickly install the app on a spare iPad, luckily I remembered my OVMS_ID, both OVMS passwords *and* the 4-digit Roadster code (I keep all this stuff encrypted on a USB key but that was also - you guessed it - locked in the trunk). And "voila!" remote unlock and thanks to the app, I could immediately see them opening the car doors and coming home.

So I've always loved the OVMS for the Roadster, I use it every day to manage charging... And this time it actually saved us a huge amount of trouble.

"Thanks OVMS developers, wherever you are!" :love:

Version 1.6.2 of the iOS App has been released to the Apple iTunes App Store.

Changes include bug fixes and minor enhancements:
* iOS 8 Support
* iOS 7 Push Notification improvements
* Check for bad responses from weather api
* Revisions to volt and ampera map images
* New map images for ampera and volt
* Thinkcity images added to project

I have the latest iOS OVMS app and I get the error "Failed: Parameter out of range" when I attempt to switch the notifications parameter from SMSIP to IP. Any ideas?

Please send me your details (vehicle id, date/time you tried the setting, version of App installed, version of iOS, device type, etc) to support (at) openvehicles (dot) com.

Thanks, Mark.

Dayling Saving Time

If you use the advanced charge control to set your Roadster's charge time, and you live somewhere that switches to daylight saving time tonight, but sure to update the time zone offset in OVMS, the last field on the parameters screen. (This is different than fixing the clock in the car.)

To test that you have the time zone set correctly, text STAT to the OVMS. The first line of the reply is what OVMS thinks the local time is.

I just received my OVMS V2 module and associated hardware from FastTech. Is this link the correct one to the latest version of the installation guide?

Nope, that is very old (v1.3.1).

If you go to Open Vehicles | Open Vehicle Monitoring System, you'll find a list of useful links in the "OVMS Links" side bar on the left. Links to things like source code, latest firmware, Apps, and guides.

The latest Tesla Roadster guide is here:

https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/raw/master/docs/OVMS_UserGuide_TeslaRoadster.pdf

Just one warning: Check out the faq at Support FAQ | Open Vehicles and take note of the new tmc.openvehicles.com server address 54.243.136.230. I think the roadster guide still has the old address.

Regards, Mark.

Tom, thanks for the tip. I just installed my OVMS and the time is indeed off. I read through the Users Guide and on page 35 under Appendix C I see:

24 Time zone For firmware >=2.5.2. Offset from GMT (in minutes)

So does that mean that to set the OVMS to PDT I would send this SMS:

FEATURE 24 420

Thanks.

If you use the advanced charge control to set your Roadster's charge time, and you live somewhere that switches to daylight saving time tonight, but sure to update the time zone offset in OVMS, the last field on the parameters screen. (This is different than fixing the clock in the car.)

To test that you have the time zone set correctly, text STAT to the OVMS. The first line of the reply is what OVMS thinks the local time is.

The documentation is wrong, the time zone offset is parameter #23 not #24. (See the definition of PARAM_TIMEZONE in params.h.) Note also that it's a Parameter, not a Feature.

The format of the time zone offset is hour:minutes, with negative hours for time zones east of GMT.

For PDT, you want to set parameter #23 to -7:00.

As far as I know, there's isn't a convenient way to set parameters by SMS. Notice there is no documented PARAMS command. There is an undocumented PARAMS command, but it requires you to send a list of all of the parameter values starting with the miles/km (so parameters 2 through 23, 22 strings including the crazy ACC configuration strings).

The best way to set the time zone offset is through the iPhone or Android app.

lnfAJo5.jpg

For people who aren't using an iOS or Android device, it would be nice to have a PARAM command that works like the FEATURE command, or a dedicated command for setting the timezone offset.

Tom, thanks for the tip. I just installed my OVMS and the time is indeed off. I read through the Users Guide and on page 35 under Appendix C I see:

24 Time zone For firmware >=2.5.2. Offset from GMT (in minutes)

So does that mean that to set the OVMS to PDT I would send this SMS:

FEATURE 24 420

Thanks.

Last edited: