Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink problem that Tesla Service doesn't seem to want to replace...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased a Homelink after I got my 2020 Model Y, not realizing it didn't come with the car originally. Tesla mobile service installed it at my home. It worked fine for ~2 years, but a few months ago, while the first channel (opens my garage door) continues to put out a signal at least 100 feet away, the second channel (to open my gate) started working only when I pull within 20 feet of the gate (it used to work at least 60 feet away) - I need to pull up very close to the gate and then back off as it opens (it opens toward the car). It is still under warranty (as is my model Y). This is not such a big deal that I felt I couldn't wait until a more important visit to the service center for other issues, which occurred recently:

I inquired about this issue at the Nambe Service site (July 21, 2023). They checked the homelink module in its entirety and said they couldn't detect a problem, but to have it fully diagnosed I'd need a mobile tech visit to my house to fully diagnose what the specifics might be. The mobile tech came (August 3) and confirmed that the problem isn't the gate controller (my wife's clicker works at least 100 feet away). We tried changing all of the parameters to the gate, and even uninstalling and reinstalling the gate signal - all to no avail. The mobile tech. (very nice and patient with trying to figure things out, and after consulting with a supervisor by phone) said service would be in touch.

When I didn't hear from service I sent a message (August 16) through the app asking when they could come up to fix or replace the homelink module. At that point I was told I need to take the car down to the Albuquerque (65 miles away) service site, but when I ask if they have further diagnostic equipment or can figure this out any differently than Nambe or the mobile tech tried I don't get an answer.

At this point I think they should just replace the module without my having to go to ABQ, which they should be able to do with the mobile tech, instead of my having to take another 3-5 hours (1 hour each way, plus whatever wait time it takes in the ABQ service center). I've asked the question as to why they won't do this, but am now being ghosted on that message thread. I asked if I could talk with someone about this by phone, but again, ghosted.

Up until now I've been very impressed with the Tesla service for the (relatively minor) issues I've had since purchase in October, 2020. Tesla's opening a service center in Nambe was a brilliant way to get around the dealership issue. And I always get very respectful and prompt service there when I've used it. But being ghosted by whoever is responding to my messages on the app is not good customer service. Does anyone have a number to contact ABQ service?

Last edited: