Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening doors for passengers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stupid question but there must be a better way than I am doing it at the moment. When my wife wants to get in and the handles are retracted if I have been sitting in the car I open my door a little to allow the handles to go out. Is there a better way? :confused:

I think I only need to press PARK once? (and the handles are presented)
The exact behaviour depends on settings IIRC. When I first got my MS I liked to put it in park when waiting at red lights (old habit which is supposedly safer if you're shunted & also stops brake lights annoying anyone behind you). There was a setting to stop the handles presenting (and another one to prevent the interior lights coming on). I've given up doing this now (it's far easier to press the foot brake to activate auto-hold) but kept the settings so it's now a case of two presses to get the handles to present. This is my preferred option rather than the screen unlock.

This also helps passengers to exit - if I don't press park twice I think they have to activate the door handles twice - the first time sounds like it causes the exterior handles to present (presumably unlocking the doors) but doesn't open the door, the second time actually opens the door. Again this behaviour is probably related to my "don't present the door handles" settings.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I always use the 'padlock' feature top left of the screen.

As an aside, when I first took delivery of my MS two years ago, my son (who has always wanted me to buy a Tesla) didn't know of my intended purchase. I phoned him on my way home and asked him to meet me outside our house to go shopping with the intention of giving him a surprise. Imagine his surprise when I rolled up in my new Tesla. Imagine my surprise when I had no idea how to let him in!!! In the end I activated the passenger window and he reached in and opened the door using the interior pull handle. Still gets a few laughs and my leg pulled frequently.

Before we got the Model X, I had been opening the passenger door for my wife ever since we were dating 18 years ago. Now I remotely open the door for her either with the keyfob or the touchscreen inside the car. She finally told me it is not the same... so I ended up pushing the handle and open the door for her. Happy wife happy life. :p

• Funny
Reactions: shthpnz and cezdoc