Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening doors from inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Model S, the rear door latches are electrically actuated and there is a mechanical release located behind a flap in the carpet under the front of the seat. In the Model X, the rear doors have a mechanical release located behind the speaker grill. Not the most intuitive things, and you would want to know them in advance of an emergency. If the 3's door latches are electric, then expect something similar.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
Q: "Now, if you take the top off, you'll find a little red button."
Q: "Whatever you do, don't touch it!"
Bond: "And why not?"
Q: "Because you'll release this section of the roof and engage and fire the passenger ejector seat."
Bond: "Ejector seat? You're joking!"
Q: "I never joke about my work, 007"

Anyone else catch this bit of information about the interior door switches from the test rides at the Model 3 event? See video below at 19:31 mark:

Test Driver: "So the door handles in the front you have...a button which looks like a window switch, and you also have a pull lever that is straight where your right hand is...so, you have two ways to get out."

So, apparently there are two methods for opening the front doors from the inside. I wonder if that is for safety reasons in the event that the button failed. Any other thoughts?

• Love
Reactions: 22522
I get that. The push button latch is not the news (at least to me). The news is that there are TWO methods of opening the front doors. I'm curious about the second method...
Most likely secondary method in case of emergency or accident and electrical power is cut which wouldn't allow the switch to work. I assume this method is not intended to be used on daily basis.

Reactions: PaulJB