Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening/starting the car with Android phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my M3P nearly three months. It's not been used very much in that time to be honest - only about 1,500 miles covered. In that time I don't seem to have mastered the correct, unhindered method of opening and starting the car with my OnePlus Android phone.

Here's the usual sequence of events:

1) Phone is in my pocket, locked.
2) Car usually opens OK, but sometimes needs two or three attempts. I accept this may be just "waking up" delay.
3) Sit in the driving seat, enter the PIN to drive (occasionally have to wait a few seconds for response - no worries).
4) Attempt to put car in "gear" (usually R to manoeuvre off my drive). Car is having none of it, beeps and tells me it needs an RFID card to be placed over the centre console. Just occasionally however, it just works.
5) Usually I have to get the phone out my pocket and wave over the centre console, then everyone's happy.

Now I know in the grand scheme of things it isn't a huge inconvenience, but I'm left wondering if I'm doing something wrong. To be clear, I'd love to just have my phone on my person and it opens and starts the car with no drama. Is that possible?

Well that isn’t how it should be. My Samsung S10e has started to play up in that it now needs to be unlocked but once unlocked, it doesn’t need any waving. I tried removing and reinstalling the phone and thought that fixed it but no.

such a shame because it used to work so flawlessly with the phone in my pocket. I hope the next update puts things right for us both.

Last edited:
Have some of the same issues with my Samsung S10, it worked flawlessly when I got the car and for a good while afterwards, I think one of the more recent updates seems to have upset it. I now often have to wake or unlock my phone for the car to open and there is also now a slight delay in being able to enter the pin to drive, it used to be virtually instant when I first got the car. But I've never had any issue after the pin is entered and never had to put my phone near the console to be able to drive.

I'm still on an old OnePlus 5T and I would say it works pretty much 99.9% of the time. Only caveats are the phone really wants to be in a 'front' pocket, and occasionally there is a tiny wake up delay.

I have seen the RFID message as described maybe twice in 6 months...

Have you tried unpairing the phone and starting again?

Oh, while I'm here, i'd really like an 'open charge flap' in the notification shade...

I have had this like once in a year as well.
I assume the issue is the phone has a weak BT signal and from whatever pocket it is in the signal is being blocked by your body so it unlocks then by the time if comes to authenticate for driving when you are sitting down it can no longer detect the signal.
you may have to get a new phone or keep it in a different pocket. is it in a very substantial case? that might not help either
Deleting the app and reinstalling then re-doing the set up might be worthwhile.

I am convinced that a recent update has upset something. In the last 6 weeks I have had half a dozen instances of either the car not unlocking with my phone and/or not starting my car. I normally open my app unlock the car and then turn phone into airplane mode and back again for it to work. Previous to the last 6 weeks I have maybe had 2 occasions in a year...