Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on value of 1.5 vs non-sport 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me the nicest things about having a 2.5:

Better heater and A/C - big difference if you live where it's really cold or hot.
Tire learning feature. Save a lot on tires summer and winter, and in the future when new tires come out that the 1.5s may have trouble using.
Much quieter.
Double din radio/nav unit.
Ability to upload logs to Tesla automatically.
Better location for hvac controls.

The worst things:
The lighted shifting buttons are too bright at night and don't dim enough when you turn down the dimming knob.
I think the 1.5 shifting lever is better looking and easier to use but gets in the way when putting large packages on the front seat. I'd still rather have the 1.5 shifter.
2.x PEM is more finicky about ground fault tolerance and won't charge from bad charging stations.

If you look at Tom Sax's Roadster reliability data, there isn't a statistically significant difference in reliability between the 1.5 PEM and 2.x. I also think the sport firmware and PEM (if the PEM is different) are mostly what gives the sport more torque at low speeds. The hand-wound motor is able to handle slightly more power from the PEM. In other words, I think you could turn a base model into a sport for performance purposes by installing sport software/firmware and lighter forged wheels. It helps to have a hand-wound motor to handle the extra power it's given.

Last edited: