Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion trade or keep p85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2014 p85+ fully loaded 45k miles, good cosmetic condition, only issue is got a “car may not start” warning light one time and disappeared since.

So those with experience with similar lifetime of their car and future expenses, would you keep or trade? Considering a model y. Only drive work so 7-8k miles per year. Worth 27k trade in Tesla, 39k Carvana, haven’t gone car max yet .

I do have the staggered 21 wheel setup and go through tire changes 2-3 years. More dreading the unknown re battery, MCU or anything else.Had some issues a year ago with car taking a long time power on. Tesla service hinted poss Mcu upgrade in future. So far range still pretty good (maybe 5-10 percent range loss). Considering the model Y with performance and like I said only drive work, drop off/pickup kids school daily. No real desire get another Model S for now, wife has X already.

I do have the staggered 21 wheel setup and go through tire changes 2-3 years. More dreading the unknown re battery, MCU or anything else.Had some issues a year ago with car taking a long time power on. Tesla service hinted poss Mcu upgrade in future. So far range still pretty good (maybe 5-10 percent range loss). Considering the model Y with performance and like I said only drive work, drop off/pickup kids school daily. No real desire get another Model S for now, wife has X already.
Trade in or sell private and get a Y. I will be doing the same with my 2015 85D.

I have a 2014 P85+. For me I love the huge Frunk, love that I can kick the rear loose and if I turn off traction control, fishtail as desired. Not that I do it often.

There's an unrefined sweetness in the P85+ that I think is missing on D models. Of course she's slower than so many Teslas now, but she is built like a tank. it's barely dampened from the feeling of every road bump. Having worked at Tesla and talked with service techs a lot, we all agree the + model that were built are solid cars with really good build quality. Some stuff didn't wear as well, but the main car body, panels, are well done.

I'm hesitant to give her up for a few reasons:

Pro's worth keeping
1. Frunk size= huge!
2. MCU 1: XM satellite AM/FM too that I don't use
3. Pano Sunroof (temp hits 60F and that baby is opened)
4. Free Unlimited Supercharging (even if the kW are restricted somewhat to 90kW Max now)
5. New DU refurb < 1 yr ago
6. Rev D battery
7. Nosecone
8. RFS simple install with all mounting points still there and wires for trunk switch
9. RWD push and fun feeling of controlled violence
10. Dual door center console, not the spring loaded one that closes when you touch it
11. Front seats pockets behind the legs
12. Red piping on black seats
13. Red Calipers (but I guess anyone can do that)

Cons
1. MCU 1 will die someday; hopefully while under warranty, but there's a fix for that OOW
2. Seats are let's call it not super comfortable for long drives, wearing out kinda so/so
3. Throttled SC charging usually 70kW or less, but have seen 90kW lately at Fremont near the Target and Trader Joe's and Mountain View
4. Motor links need re-lubing again; the click from region to accel
5. Nosecone
6. Sunroof cosmetic insulation rubber around perimeter failing (no risk for leaks, but I'm not paying $1200 to fix it)
7. Black paint doesn't shine like my first S, so she might get a respray clear coat cleanup
8. Lack of Rear seat cupholder on back of armrest
9. Center console USB/12V power hinge cover door too sensitive to release open
10. MCU 1 vs. MCU2 with better display (gain some features, lose some so this should be misc gripe)
11. 3g data connection (can be upgraded to LTE though)
12. No Sentry mode
13. No AP. (I really enjoy AP1 on my wife's Sig Model X)
14. No Fog, No CWP (but I live in SF Bay Area, don't need either really)

Cost as new: $115k 6/2014

Cost as bought by me: 4/2019 $39k w/50k miles. ($42k out the door). - with the following failing from Day 1 to 1.5years owning
- DU replaced under used warranty; noisy motor driving off the lot, no due bill requested picking up in Marina Del Ray, wanted in and out delivery in 10 minutes, and got it. Its was agreed any due bill item would be covered under warranty and has been the case
- $150 RPM Tesla spoiler to replace worn spoiler sun damaged
- Rear tail lights replaced under warranty (both because one was half out and water inside)
- Front door handles microswitch replaced on both sides
- Added RFS during bumper respray from idiot who scratched my rear bumper in traffic
- Added Blackvue camera F/B

Basically Tesla lowballed selling this car to me, didn't fix anything since quitting CPO work, and I made out by hammering the warranty to get the deficiencies fixed.

And my dear son loves the car. So when he turns 16, it's his trainer car and then his car. That's the promise I made and we agreed.

Reactions: ra88it
Congr
I have a 2014 P85+. For me I love the huge Frunk, love that I can kick the rear loose and if I turn off traction control, fishtail as desired. Not that I do it often.

There's an unrefined sweetness in the P85+ that I think is missing on D models. Of course she's slower than so many Teslas now, but she is built like a tank. it's barely dampened from the feeling of every road bump. Having worked at Tesla and talked with service techs a lot, we all agree the + model that were built are solid cars with really good build quality. Some stuff didn't wear as well, but the main car body, panels, are well done.

Pro's worth keeping
1. Frunk size= huge!
4. Free Unlimited Supercharging (even if the kW are restricted somewhat to 90kW Max now)
6. Rev D battery
7. Nosecone
8. RFS simple install with all mounting points still there and wires for trunk switch
10. Dual door center console, not the spring loaded one that closes when you touch it

Cons
1. MCU 1 will die someday; hopefully while under warranty, but there's a fix for that OOW
2. Seats are let's call it not super comfortable for long drives, wearing out kinda so/so
3. Throttled SC charging usually 70kW or less, but have seen 90kW lately at Fremont near the Target and Trader Joe's and Mountain View
5. Nosecone
6. Sunroof cosmetic insulation rubber around perimeter failing (no risk for leaks, but I'm not paying $1200 to fix it)
7. Black paint doesn't shine like my first S, so she might get a respray clear coat cleanup
10. MCU 1 vs. MCU2 with better display (gain some features, lose some so this should be misc gripe)
12. No Sentry mode

Cost as bought by me: 4/2019 $39k w/50k miles. ($42k out the door). - with the following failing from Day 1 to 1.5years owning
- DU replaced under used warranty; noisy motor driving off the lot, no due bill requested picking up in Marina Del Ray, wanted in and out delivery in 10 minutes, and got it. Its was agreed any due bill item would be covered under warranty and has been the case
- Rear tail lights replaced under warranty (both because one was half out and water inside)
- Added RFS during bumper respray from idiot who scratched my rear bumper in traffic

Basically Tesla lowballed selling this car to me, didn't fix anything since quitting CPO work, and I made out by hammering the warranty to get the deficiencies fixed.

And my dear son loves the car. So when he turns 16, it's his trainer car and then his car. That's the promise I made and we agreed.

Thanks for the extensive pros and cons. Good evaluation. Like anything things will come and go. I thought about just keeping till my son turns 16 but that’s another 6 years to go. I think I’m just concerned about high ticket expenses (replacing battery, mcu and who knows what else). I got the “car may not restart” message one time recently and from reading a post it could be something simple cheap or a little more costly. I have an offer through Carvana that expires tomorrow but leaning just sell for 39k and getting the Model Y performance. This time around maybe get the additional 2 or 4 yr ext warranty and leave that to my son in 6 years. I agree p85+ has been reliable and solid for me in last 6 years. Only minor things done while in warranty (door handles, etc). Previous car was a 1st year bmw 650i which was super reliable and picked up European delivery.

That's a nice offer from Carvana,, I've got a 2014 as well and maybe should hit them up and then grab something with AP while I wait for the Cybertruck.
Pretty impressed with Carvana. Someone came house pickup car, sign paperwork. Took maybe 5-10 min max. Just had upload driver license, title, pic of odometer and screen. Probably should taken car max nearby for quote but for offer 12.5k more than Tesla and the ease of not having take it in (in light of current situation), pretty easy process

Reactions: Don TLR

Pro's worth keeping
1. Frunk size= huge!
6. Rev D battery
7. Nosecone

Cons
5. Nosecone
12. No Sentry mode

Well put. I have a Sept 2013 P85+. Swapped out the staggered 21s for 19" Cyclones. Will probably look for a new S this June and give this to my son as a college grad gift. Oddly enough he will be starting at SpaceX in June!

I was in a new 2020. Frunk is tiny. No body changes, interior a little better.
But
Mine is out of warranty, I've fixed most myself. Its paid for. I see no ROI in spending 100k. In reality, this no different than owning a 2014 S500 Benz. The upkeep cost r the same once they r out of warranty. My ROI has been enough to buy a 3.
I have a post on all the parts I've changed myself, so I've saved thousands.