Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Low Trade in Offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Resist

Mar 24, 2019
California
I know trading in a vehicle that you will never get top dollar but the offer that Tesla just sent me for my 2018 Long Rang Model 3 with the Acceleration Boost is so insulting. Unfortunately, I'm stuck because I have to drive myself to the Tesla showroom which is 2 hours away, so the car needs to be traded in so I can drive the new one back. My reason for trading is to transfer FSD to a new Model Y Performance. My Model 3 has had one accident, where someone backed into the drivers side rear quarter panel when it was only 4 months old. It was repaired properly and otherwise in great condition with no dings or scratches and only have 25,446 miles. Kelly Blue Book said the trade in value is $29,654 to $34,291 yet Tesla only offered me $19,200. I really was expecting at least $27,000. Yes, I can cancel the deal and lose my $250 application fee but I also miss out on the free FSD transfer to a new car with HW4 that ends in a couple days. The really sad thing is that I tried trading in another vehicle I have that is 20 years old but is in like new condition with not even 5,200 miles and Tesla offered me $25,300 for it. Unfortunately that deal fell through because the car is PNO'd and Tesla won't accept a PNO status vehicle and there just isn't enough time to get it smogged, the full registration paid and insured. Plus paying the full yearly registration fee and then trading it a few days later doesn't get me a partial DMV credit, they don't do that. So I'd lose the whole fee. My Model 3 that is not even 5 years old, is worth less on a trade in than a 20 year old car, just wow.

And yes, I don't have to accept the offer and trade my Model 3 in as I could sell it someplace else like Carvana or Carmax but they are hours away from me and I'd have no way to get back home. It's disappointing that the inventory car savings I got was lost in the trade value. Yes, yes, yes, it's all about choices and it's just business with Tesla or any dealership so I guess I'm just venting. I wish though that Tesla let us do a counter trade in offer.

From my experience in the forums, Tesla typically gives the lowest offer, so it's almost always best to choose any other option if it's viable.

If your primary concern is transportation after selling your car, have you considered renting a car, Uber/Lyft, public transport (for very long distances Greyhound services a lot of areas and you can ride a taxi or Uber to the nearest station if there are no other public transport options) or having a family/friend pick you up?

Some of the used car services also offer home pickup (you should check if your home or a location you can reach by other transportation is within their service area):
Picking up your vehicle | Help Center | Carvana | Carvana
https://www.carmax.com/faq/selling-a-car

Last edited:
I'm stuck because I have to drive myself to the Tesla showroom which is 2 hours away, so the car needs to be traded in so I can drive the new one back.
I could sell it someplace else like Carvana or Carmax but they are hours away from me and I'd have no way to get back home.
Is this really an insurmountable problem? You don't know _anyone_ that can help out with this?

That KBB valuation seems impossibly high to me given recent price cuts and the reality of the market... brand new Model 3 RWDs are $36k now. Brand new LRs can be had for $45k. BEFORE a $7500 tax credit. That's what people are comparing your 5 year old car with an accident on its record to.

I think you can get a bit more from Carvana or Carmax... probably enough to make it worth your while. As I recall you're in SLO... take it to Carmax in Oxnard and ride the Pacific Surfliner back. Or take the Pacific Surfliner down to Santa Barbara where I assume you're picking up your car. Lots of ways to deal with this...

Believe me I've thought over the transportation thing and for me personally it's too much of an issue for me to bother with, my time is more valuable. And I don't have family or friends that are available to drive me, taking 4 hours out of their day because of how far the nearest Tesla showroom is. I have no desire to use public transportation which can take way longer than 4 hours or rent a car, back when I was younger I would have had no issue doing all that but as I've aged I don't want to be bothered with all this. Anyhow, I'm more relaxed with my decision now. Mostly because it was my fault for waiting so long to jump on the deal, as I said initially I had no interest in taking advantage of the FSD free transfer and buying a new Tesla and having a car payment again.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions, I've thought about all of the solutions before. I really was just venting but it will all be okay and even better down the road once Tesla opens a Service/Showroom in my town. At least I didn't spend $140,000 on a Model S Plaid and feel the pain of what they are selling for now.

Reactions: myoda and ODWms
From my experience in the forums, Tesla typically gives the lowest offer, so it's almost always best to choose any other option if it's viable.
Hard to say whether that’s typical or people only post when they get a lowball offer from Tesla. I’ve traded in 2 Teslas, a 2018 Model S100D and a 2018 Model 3 MR, and in both cases Tesla’s offer was higher than the other services, significantly higher in the case of the S.

The offer that Tesla just sent me for my 2018 Long Rang Model 3 with the Acceleration Boost is so insulting.

If you can financially, best would be to keep your older Model 3 until you get your new Model Y.
Then be sure that FSD get transfered, and then sold your Model 3 doing direct sell or a used car dealer.

So just get a Uber to get your new Tesla, and then sell both your old Model 3 and your Planned Nonoperation ICE car.

Last edited:
I'm sure that CarFax has reported that accident. Unfortunately, that carries a lot of weight. A car I owned was rear ended in a McDonalds drive through. Yup, it takes a special kind of stupid to rear end someone in a drive through. Then the guy had the nerve to come out of his car and charge at me. I pushed him back. He then started making threats but kept his distance. Yes, after running into my car. I guess he hadn't had his morning coffee yet.

I filed a claim with my insurance and fought successfully for the other drivers insurance to pay my deductible and rental car because I was pissed. The repair bill was only $800 to refinish the bumper fascia. Had I known the effect of that "accident" on the CarFax report during trade-in I would have gladly paid the bill out of pocket.

Beware of CarFax. Whether you are buying or selling. Very misleading.

Reactions: DougNuts
Hmmmm… seems simple ( Did it myself to pick up a Corvette in Vermont ( live in NJ )

Sell to whomever gives you the highest offer… then rent a ONE WAY rental and drive to the closest drop off point to the Tesla delivery center and if the rental shop won’t drive you to the center… a quick Lyft or Uber will get ya there.

Reactions: EatsShoots
Hmmmm… seems simple ( Did it myself to pick up a Corvette in Vermont ( live in NJ )

Sell to whomever gives you the highest offer… then rent a ONE WAY rental and drive to the closest drop off point to the Tesla delivery center and if the rental shop won’t drive you to the center… a quick Lyft or Uber will get ya there.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. This isn't that complicated. If you don't like your trade in offer, don't do it. Your time is valuable but so is your money, I assume that's why you want to take the deal of transferring FSD.

If you'll lose a possible $10-15k (if that evaluation is realistic) in taking this low trade offer and think you can sell it for that price you expected, what's the point then in taking that just to save money on the FSD?

Reactions: afadeev
Kelly Blue Book said the trade in value is $29,654 to $34,291 yet Tesla only offered me $19,200. I really was expecting at least $27,000.

Beware that KKB and other online estimate have little correlation to reality.
Most Model 3's depreciate well over 50% in 3-4 years. Your car is 5 years old. I don't know who much you paid for it, and it likely doesn't matter. A new LR now goes for $47,240. Your car is likely worth under 1/2 of that. So somewhere in high teens / low 20s may not be unreasonable.

Having said all that, Tesla regularly low-balls trade-in offers, and is reported to assign ZERO ($0) value to its own software enhancements like acceleration boost, EAP, or FSD.

My Model 3 that is not even 5 years old, is worth less on a trade in than a 20 year old car, just wow.

Yep, that's the reality of Tesla ownership.
Tesla is a business, it's not your friend.
You are still doing way better than this guy, to whom Tesla proposed to write-off $58K on Model S after one year of ownership:

It's disappointing that the inventory car savings I got was lost in the trade value.

You will always take a beating when flipping cars after a few years. On the plus side, you get a new toy with a new car smell.
It's worth it for some, but not for others.
Are you sure you expectations were realistic for this transaction?

a

If you can financially, best would be to keep your older Model 3 until you get your new Model Y.
Then be sure that FSD get transfered, and then sold your Model 3 doing direct sell or a used car dealer.

So just get a Uber to get your new Tesla, and then sell both your old Model 3 and your Planned Nonoperation ICE car.
Per the paperwork from Tesla the transfer is happening after that take possession of my Model 3. Ideally an Uber would be a good solution except that as I said it's a two hour drive to the Tesla showroom and that would be an expensive Uber. Plus I prefer to drive myself and not have to deal with selling my Model 3, I honestly just don't have the time.

And again to everyone here, I know there are better options but my time is more valuable. I was venting before, but I do appreciate all the advice. Tesla is not my friend, it's a business. And it sucks that even though a vehicle is repaired whole from an accident, it never really is whole because of the loss in trade in value, and the accident wasn't even my fault. If this ever happens to me again I will sell the car right away after it's repaired and get a new one.

But if I were in my 20's I'd take a bus to the Tesla showroom, just to save some money on the low trade in offer. I feel much better about all this today and am going to leave to get the car in a few minutes, a day early. Woo Hoo!

A 2018 car with 25K miles. Man, I do that mileage in 1 year. Remember, it is a 2018 car with expired warranty. It is what it is, I doubt Carmax and Carvana is much better. Especially if trade in tax credit applies. Probably a few thousands higher. I think all those trade in values are through the auction price database.

Something unrelated, just personally curious. if you only do 5K miles per year. What is the point of driving EV? I would get something inefficient and impractical like C8 corvette/ Bronco that does 18-20 MPG. They also have much better value retention.

And again to everyone here, I know there are better options but my time is more valuable. I was venting before, but I do appreciate all the advice. Tesla is not my friend, it's a business. And it sucks that even though a vehicle is repaired whole from an accident, it never really is whole because of the loss in trade in value, and the accident wasn't even my fault. If this ever happens to me again I will sell the car right away after it's repaired and get a new one.

But if I were in my 20's I'd take a bus to the Tesla showroom, just to save some money on the low trade in offer. I feel much better about all this today and am going to leave to get the car in a few minutes, a day early. Woo Hoo!

An other option, since you have only 25k miles, is to keep your Model 3 for few more years !!!

I am int a similar situation than you and I was tented to take advantage of the FSD transfer.
But I also have a low mileage on my older Model 3, so not really justifying getting a new car.

I still have the original tires and 12V battery, and never had any maintenace cost compared to the previous ICE that I still have by the way.
The real winner would the new buyer who would get an almost new Model 3 for a fraction of what I paid.

The only interest of the Model Y is to have a hatchback, but also I would lose some range mileage and don't need the extra storage
If the Model 3 Highland had a atchback, I would have get it, but otherwise only cosmetic changes were made.
With the coming NACS plug, there might be now other hatchback EVs that I might considere.

Anyway, I have a roof rack and installed a removable tow hitch and I have a foldable bicycles carrier.
Since I have a tow hitch, I can also rent a trailer if I really need to carry big loads.
Also I can rent a Model Y if I need to take a trip with visiting family members.

So far when doing a long trip with only 2 people total, I put the two bicycles inside the Model 3 after removing the front wheel.
So my range don't get affected by the drag, and when I arrive at destination, I install my removable tow hitch and my bicycle carrier.

One issue also is the sale tax in my county are 10.25 % and I could get only partially the crrent IRA discount.

Honestly, I find the Model Y too bulky and since I live in a city I would prefer a smaller more nimble car, easy to park.
So I am also waiting to see if the coming Model 2 might be something I would prefer getting in the future.

I like FSD, I think I paid $5k at the time, taking advantage of a $1k discount.
But I mostly use FSD only on freeway for long trips.

Currently with the BETA version, you cannot block the car making lane changes.
So when driving on heavy traffic on the freeway, I have to cancel FSD and only use EAP,
because I don't care following an other car especially knowing that I will have to exit the freeway very soon.

So, no, I would not spend now $12k for FSD (or $15 few months ago and who know how much more or less in few years)
I would only paid a monthly FSD fee when making a trip and keep my money to fructify or for other priorities.

I also have an older ICE car which is hatchback, and the additional car insurance cost for it is very low,
especially since I don't have full coverage. And it is practical to have an extra car when I have visitors.

Last edited:
I did the FSD transfer to an inventory car a couple hours from me because it was $4k less expensive and Tesla payed for the Uber.
Although I do still have my original car because Carvana/Carmax offered $24k which I thought was bad :-|
Same car, same offer from Carvana. I've had it on Marketplace for 4 days at $28k, and other dealers have them listed around same price. I'm taking the 24k. Don't think I'll get much more myself. Tesla offered 20k, Vroom 16k, everyone else in 23's

I did the FSD transfer to an inventory car a couple hours from me because it was $4k less expensive and Tesla payed for the Uber.
Although I do still have my original car because Carvana/Carmax offered $24k which I thought was bad :-|
I wish they had paid for an Uber, then I would probably have kept my Model 3 to sell on my own. But I have too many cars already, 3 for one person is too much and why my 2018 had such low miles.

Anyhow, I picked up the new Model Y Performance and really like it. It has so much more room and I don't have to step down to get into it, which was hurting my back. It definitely feels heavier, but in a good way. The camera video is so much better, finally good dash cam video! Now if Tesla could add audio. Sadly, because my Model 3's Premium Connectivity was on the annual subscription price plan, I now lost what was left on the plan for the year, it is what it is. But having to setup all my presets again is kind of a pain. And it says my FDS transferred but of course nothing is working yet, didn't realize how much I liked using Summon to park the car in and out of my garage, until you don't have it. Hope that feature comes back to my car quickly.

Last edited:
There’s another company that The Bearded Tesla used or one of this subs or something that pays top dollars, way more then Carvana, Vroom and CarMax, If I find them I will post here.

The company is CarBuyerUSA.com

Watch this video here

Last edited:
I'm glad Tesla got rid of the soft touch inner lower door panels, near the cup holder. My water bottles have dinged that material up on my 2018 Model 3, so I appreciate that now with my 2023 Model Y Performance the material is a harder plastic. But why would they line the inside of it with felt? That will wear down quickly. And instead of a solid plastic covering over the dead pedal, like my Model 3 had, now they covered it with carpet. Why would they do that?! It's just another area that will wear down. Come on Tesla!