Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Low Trade in Offer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Believe me I've thought over the transportation thing and for me personally it's too much of an issue for me to bother with, my time is more valuable. And I don't have family or friends that are available to drive me, taking 4 hours out of their day because of how far the nearest Tesla showroom is. I have no desire to use public transportation which can take way longer than 4 hours or rent a car, back when I was younger I would have had no issue doing all that but as I've aged I don't want to be bothered with all this. Anyhow, I'm more relaxed with my decision now. Mostly because it was my fault for waiting so long to jump on the deal, as I said initially I had no interest in taking advantage of the FSD free transfer and buying a new Tesla and having a car payment again.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions, I've thought about all of the solutions before. I really was just venting but it will all be okay and even better down the road once Tesla opens a Service/Showroom in my town. At least I didn't spend $140,000 on a Model S Plaid and feel the pain of what they are selling for now.
Buddy, order your new Model Y Performance through Tesla on the phone (this way you can facilitate the FSD transfer), on the same day that the new car arrives have your Model 3 picked up by Carvana or Carmax (eliminate the crappy Tesla trade-in situation). Have both transactions come to you. As long as your order your car by the 30th (you don’t need to take delivery) you are good for the FSD transfer.

One thing I just realized is that I never got one of those window stickers for the car, that shows all the options and vehicle price and fuel economy. Aren't those supposed to be included by law?
My car didn’t come with the window sticker either - I had to specifically ask for it with the sales advisor. Because Tesla’s are sold directly to the consumer and not B2B they are not legally obligated to provide the Monroney sticker.

Buddy, order your new Model Y Performance through Tesla on the phone (this way you can facilitate the FSD transfer), on the same day that the new car arrives have your Model 3 picked up by Carvana or Carmax (eliminate the crappy Tesla trade-in situation). Have both transactions come to you. As long as your order your car by the 30th (you don’t need to take delivery) you are good for the FSD transfer.
Have you not been following the thread? I said I already have the new Model Y, the issue is over.

Yet, almost 5 years ago when I bought my 2018 Model 3 it had one. I'd really like that paper, it's kind of like the cars birth certificate.
Ask your rep, they may be able to get you a copy. I'm not sure if this still applies (might be done electronically now), but when I took delivery of mine back in 2020, along with that is a FedEx envelope with DMV documents that must be signed and submitted to Tesla for them to submit to the DMV in order to properly register your vehicle. Some people forget that (or Tesla does) and end up having their temporary tags expire.

Edit: I see Tesla's later response. If they only have it electronically, maybe ask for a pdf copy. That is even more convenient for sending to people (in case you want to sell in future) and you can always go to Kinkos or some print store to print a large copy.

Most people throw that paper straight into the trash, so I can see why people doing the prep may have assumed it was trash, but really they should let the owner decide that.

Last edited:
Another data point,

2018 model 3 awd, 45K miles with FSD
Tesla’s initial offer 23.1K last week. Monday after pictures uploaded, their offer was 17.1K. Same day drove to carmax, they gave me 22K offer, Carvana offered 23.7K. Logged in to KBB, their offer was 25.3K and they sent my info to 3 local car dealers. Got emails from all 3 within 10 minutes. Visited the nearest dealership (Ford), after they looked at the car, drove it around, we negotiated and they cut me a check for 26.1K. Called the Uber and came home smiling and cursing Tesla 😀

I wish they had paid for an Uber, then I would probably have kept my Model 3 to sell on my own. But I have too many cars already, 3 for one person is too much and why my 2018 had such low miles.

Anyhow, I picked up the new Model Y Performance and really like it. It has so much more room and I don't have to step down to get into it, which was hurting my back. It definitely feels heavier, but in a good way. The camera video is so much better, finally good dash cam video! Now if Tesla could add audio. Sadly, because my Model 3's Premium Connectivity was on the annual subscription price plan, I now lost what was left on the plan for the year, it is what it is. But having to setup all my presets again is kind of a pain. And it says my FDS transferred but of course nothing is working yet, didn't realize how much I liked using Summon to park the car in and out of my garage, until you don't have it. Hope that feature comes back to my car quickly.
Wow, you are actually complaining about having to setup a new car with the presets? “Just wow”

I know, I know, your time is more valuable…

Edit: I see Tesla's later response. If they only have it electronically, maybe ask for a pdf copy. That is even more convenient for sending to people (in case you want to sell in future) and you can always go to Kinkos or some print store to print a large copy.

Most people throw that paper straight into the trash, so I can see why people doing the prep may have assumed it was trash, but really they should let the owner decide that.
My only option will probably to get it in pdf, but I really liked the original size of the document. By law only the consumer can remove it from the vehicle. So clearly Tesla isn't training their people correctly or maybe they just don't care. I know this isn't a big deal for most people but I save this document and have each one from every new vehicle I ever bought and not once did a dealership remove it from the car, except this Tesla dealership.

Oh I also noticed they don't include the small display wipe, like they did back in 2018. What are you going to do? lol

FWIW, did a trade-in yesterday from a 2018 M3 LR RWD to a 2023 M3 LR AWD, in large part to take advantage of the FSD transfer follies.

The follies are well in hand at the moment (knock on wood).

Didn't go too crazy on the trade-in value. CarMax quoted $17k; Tesla's preliminary bid was $20.1k for a car with a (single) ding. That was dropped to $19.1k the day before, and we bit.

We first considered doing all this in early July. At that time, CarMax said $22k. So it looks like prices are dropping a bit.

Reactions: Resist
I can't find the games Missile Command, Lunar Landing, Centipede, Astroids, Tempest or Karaoke, on my new car. And no, I still don't have time for playing games. I have been a bit confused because this car is on a different firmware than what I was used to, so I have been going through everything.

<cough>radar<cough>parking sensors<cough>lumbar<cough>frunk carpet<cough>charging cord<cough>
I already knew about the radar, ultra sonic sensors, passenger lumbar, frunk carpet, no charging cords, console tray or mobile connector. Good thing I kept my Model 3 console tray and mobile connector...take that Tesla low baller trade in employees! lol

Reactions: evtifosi
I can't find the games Missile Command, Lunar Landing, Centipede, Astroids, Tempest or Karaoke, on my new car. And no, I still don't have time for playing games. I have been a bit confused because this car is on a different firmware than what I was used to, so I have been going through everything.
So, in my case it's a new car, built this month. Firmware version is 2023.26.100.1. That "100" is a dead giveaway - it's the factory version of software and, presumably, won't last.

I've been in the FSD-beta program since early last year, so am kind of used to this. New cars get a "100" in there somewhere. When the appropriate load shows, the car then gets that and goes mainstream. In that process, $RANDOM games and features all tend to show up.

This version is kind of cool for me, at the moment. Even though it's running FSD 11.3.7 (pretty old, actually) it's got all the bells and whistles from a much newer load and has quite a few games. The 2018 I traded in which had 11.4.7 FSD-b on it was running a base load from, what, January.

So, check your load version. You'll probably discover that the games you want are part of some load you don't have access to yet.

Thanks for that info. My traded in 2018 also had 11.4.7 and now my Model Y built this month as well, has 2023.32.100, the app doesn't show me what version of FSD it's running yet I think it does have FSD because it let me pick it in the car's settings. Probably just a partial FSD transfer hopefully I get it all back soon.

Open a service request and ask them to push the games update... it's different than the normal updates. Make sure you have a strong WiFi connection though, or it bombs out.

Regarding the Monroney, I'm really surprised that an employee at a car dealership or store could somehow not know the significance of that sticker.

Talking of resale value and recommended places to sell your car,
I was looking today at X.com (Twitter) where a notorious FSD tester called 'Whole Mars Catalog'
just sold his 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance with 55 k miles for $35,750 using the auction site CarsAndBids

See the following details:

One comment on the auction site was:

A new Inventory 3 Performance is $47,970 (Tesla is discounting M3 inventory ahead of Highland release).
$7500 Federal Credit, potential state EV credits ($4000 in my case), $500 referral (can use your link!).
Brings me very close to this closing price (not accounting for C&B fees, sales tax, destination, etc.).
Does not apply to everyone, but you got a solid number for your car after 55k miles.
Congrats on the sale and welcome to the Tesla family to the new buyer!

Last edited:
I did the FSD transfer to an inventory car a couple hours from me because it was $4k less expensive and Tesla payed for the Uber.
Although I do still have my original car because Carvana/Carmax offered $24k which I thought was bad :-|

I noticed the numerous updates that you made on your car, quite impressing, lucky future new owner:

2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range (LR), All Wheel Drive (AWD) i.e. dual motor​
* Factory upgrade 19” stiletto wheels powder coated gunmetal gray​
* Homelink (integrated garage door opener)​
* Full XPEL PPF wrap and ceramic coating by Concours Auto Spa
* Ceramic window tint​
* Painted brake calipers and upgraded brake pads​
* Eibach aftermarket coil springs
* Mountain Pass Performance stainless steel brake lines
* Aftermarket upgraded speakers from Light Harmonic
* Alcantara aftermarket dash replaced factory fake woodgrain​
* Jeda Wireless phone charging pad in center console​
* Jeda USB Hub with hidden compartment for sentry storage in center console