Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions Wanted: Upgrade to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MCU2 upgrade in Canada (without the FM tuner) is $2k plus HST. That's what I paid two weeks ago

Infotainment Upgrade

Price just went up. Your timing was fantastic. :)

Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation. This upgrade is available for $2,900 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $2,230 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen.

Reactions: geordi and SilverGS
Heads up, now's the time to do this. It appears there is a price increase underway. I requested the upgrade via the app, and the automated estimate came back as USD $1750. I then looked at www.tesla.com/support/infotainment and it still shows the $1,500 price. I chatted back to service and they lowered the estimate back to $1,500 because that's what's on the website.

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-FOR
TEGRAAP3.0 -NORTH AMERICA(9874563-00-A)

Note that the price is higher for vehicles with autopilot 2.0 or 2.5.
Also I chose to pay an additional $500 for the FM radio.

Looks like the website is updated with the new $1,750 price.

Woodwinds - THANK YOU for posting this! I made the appointment in the app and (b/c of your message) pulled a screenshot of the web page. It came in handy, they took until Friday to finally post the estimate, and wonder of wonders it had the higher price. I sent the screenshot and said that THEIR delay in posting the estimate shouldn't cost me an extra $250, and they went for it! It's back at the $1500. Looks like I got in right under the wire!

Woodwinds - THANK YOU for posting this! I made the appointment in the app and (b/c of your message) pulled a screenshot of the web page. It came in handy, they took until Friday to finally post the estimate, and wonder of wonders it had the higher price. I sent the screenshot and said that THEIR delay in posting the estimate shouldn't cost me an extra $250, and they went for it! It's back at the $1500. Looks like I got in right under the wire!

When you placed the order for $1500, did they send you an estimated invoice?
If yes, did you press the "Approve" button in the app for $1500 price?

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
When you placed the order for $1500, did they send you an estimated invoice?
If yes, did you press the "Approve" button in the app for $1500 price?

I placed the service request, and for several days it just said "we are preparing your estimate" and had nothing else. When they came up with the estimate on Friday it was with the 1750 price. I messaged back with a request to reevaluate that, with the screenshot- and they said they spoke with the manager and adjusted the estimate. After a few other questions about their estimate for fixing my TPMS system, I approved the estimate.

This shouldn't lock me in to that price (if not everything for the TPMS is needed which is what my questions were about) but should confirm the MCU. The next question is whether they will have the parts on hand when I get there next week.

Reactions: Droschke
I placed the service request, and for several days it just said "we are preparing your estimate" and had nothing else. When they came up with the estimate on Friday it was with the 1750 price. I messaged back with a request to reevaluate that, with the screenshot- and they said they spoke with the manager and adjusted the estimate. After a few other questions about their estimate for fixing my TPMS system, I approved the estimate.

This shouldn't lock me in to that price (if not everything for the TPMS is needed which is what my questions were about) but should confirm the MCU. The next question is whether they will have the parts on hand when I get there next week.
If they don't have the parts your appointment will get rescheduled a day or two before.

Let me provide closure to my switches not working after having the Infotainment Upgrade a week ago.

Mobile Tech came this morning and confirmed what I predicted. They did not re-connect the glove box switch or the four-way flasher switch when they removed the old computer and screen and put the new one in.

He was very good - second time he has been at my house. He did not remove the screen frame or anything. He simply removed the two long large pieces of trim that run along the bottom of the dash. That gave him just enough access to the backs of the switches - and to the two wire harnesses dangling down inside there - to be able to re-connect them. Ten minutes and he was done. He apologized profusely that they forget to reconnect them originally and then was on his way.

I never thought much about the Tesla Mobile Technicians but having had two really good experiences, I am really sold on it. It is another terrific way that Tesla is differentiating themselves from the rest of the automakers.
Same thing on mine. The tech said they’ve had a few out of Texas that this has happened on and that’s where my car came from.

So I should have updated this after that visit.... B/c that visit was a fiasco after I went to get the car back.

Things that were being done: MCU upgrade for $1500, TPMS module replacement, WITHOUT needing 4 new sensors as I already had a set of brand-new OEM wheels from a 2020 Model S that had brand new sensors in them.

Their messaging thread said that they would not charge me for parts that were not "required" as part of the actual process - yet their automagical system had selected a wiring harness, the TPMS module, antennas, AND 4 sensors with associated labor (about $900 total) to install what I didn't need. They HAD CONFIRMED in the messaging that they knew I had new sensors and didn't need replacements.

"Car is done, ready for pick up" and I find out that they charged me everything that was on the estimate. EVERYTHING. I question this, and got the following bullshipping replies:

"We *had* to replace everything because the module is matched to the sensors"
"The first module was defective in the box, so we swapped that out under warranty" - Ok, so then you just lied to me about it being "matched" to the sensors? Of course it isn't, that's why there is a "RESET TPMS" in the computer screen.
"We HAD to replace the sensors, it was on the estimate that YOU approved."
You confirmed in the messaging that you would not charge me for things you didn't need to do.
"Oh, the messaging app isn't legally binding, only the estimate is once you approve it, that's what you pay."

So these knuckle-draggers stole more than $1000 from me for things I did NOT need, and then the next day.....

*phone call while the car is at home in my driveway* "Hi this is (super chipper voice) XYZ from Tesla Delray Beach. While your car was here, we discovered that Tesla made a mistake on a previous service visit, the configuration of your car wasn't done right - so we are fixing that now, your battery range is now set for what it was when the car was originally sold. Isn't that great?"
My car has a 90kwh battery as installed by Tesla, what do you mean? "Well it wasn't configured properly, so we are fixing that. The range is now what it was when the car was originally sold, isn't that great?"

*I open the car and see that 30% of my range is now GONE, that the car which just previously was reporting 285 mile range at ~80% is now showing 215 miles and 100% charged.*

What the heck? I'm supposed to be happy that you just stole mileage from me after my experience yesterday? This needs to be fixed right now, this is NOT how I bought the car, you have just crippled it!

"Sure, we can unlock your range again - that will be $4500 for that additional range that your car didn't have when it was originally sold."

It didn't get better from there, until the situation ended up going viral due to some VERY wonderful assistance from friends with much greater social media presence than I have. Tesla locks 80 miles of customer’s battery range for $4,500 ransom

This WAS eventually fixed but nothing so small as an apology was ever even suggested.

This is the type of company they want to be, so buyer-beware on any visit to any service center. EVERYTHING is "legally binding" on you the customer, NOTHING they say is viewed as binding on them. I have been to 4 different service centers, and been lied to - to my face - at three of them, in VERY easily provable ways. They have no shame about this.

The MCU upgrade is very nice, but if it involves letting these type of antics happen around your car and your wallet.... Caveat Emptor.

I've been avoiding the upgrade, saving the money for the CT.

Tesla insurance will be cheaper if they can track your driving habits through the mcu2? So perhaps it'll pay for itself.

On mine, I have neither FSD / advanced driving aids, nor Tesla insurance. I don't know that I would want either of those, especially if it would put me at the mercy of a company that has already proven themselves to be VERY interested in taking money whenever possible, and never giving away anything that they think they can charge for.

I'd search and read reviews of people who have tried to make actual claims against the Tesla Insurance product to see how the company handles it. What I've read about (and about the solar product too).... Doesn't encourage me to get into either product line.

So I should have updated this after that visit.... B/c that visit was a fiasco after I went to get the car back.

Things that were being done: MCU upgrade for $1500, TPMS module replacement, WITHOUT needing 4 new sensors as I already had a set of brand-new OEM wheels from a 2020 Model S that had brand new sensors in them.

Their messaging thread said that they would not charge me for parts that were not "required" as part of the actual process - yet their automagical system had selected a wiring harness, the TPMS module, antennas, AND 4 sensors with associated labor (about $900 total) to install what I didn't need. They HAD CONFIRMED in the messaging that they knew I had new sensors and didn't need replacements.

"Car is done, ready for pick up" and I find out that they charged me everything that was on the estimate. EVERYTHING. I question this, and got the following bullshipping replies:

"We *had* to replace everything because the module is matched to the sensors"
"The first module was defective in the box, so we swapped that out under warranty" - Ok, so then you just lied to me about it being "matched" to the sensors? Of course it isn't, that's why there is a "RESET TPMS" in the computer screen.
"We HAD to replace the sensors, it was on the estimate that YOU approved."
You confirmed in the messaging that you would not charge me for things you didn't need to do.
"Oh, the messaging app isn't legally binding, only the estimate is once you approve it, that's what you pay."

So these knuckle-draggers stole more than $1000 from me for things I did NOT need, and then the next day.....

*phone call while the car is at home in my driveway* "Hi this is (super chipper voice) XYZ from Tesla Delray Beach. While your car was here, we discovered that Tesla made a mistake on a previous service visit, the configuration of your car wasn't done right - so we are fixing that now, your battery range is now set for what it was when the car was originally sold. Isn't that great?"
My car has a 90kwh battery as installed by Tesla, what do you mean? "Well it wasn't configured properly, so we are fixing that. The range is now what it was when the car was originally sold, isn't that great?"

*I open the car and see that 30% of my range is now GONE, that the car which just previously was reporting 285 mile range at ~80% is now showing 215 miles and 100% charged.*

What the heck? I'm supposed to be happy that you just stole mileage from me after my experience yesterday? This needs to be fixed right now, this is NOT how I bought the car, you have just crippled it!

"Sure, we can unlock your range again - that will be $4500 for that additional range that your car didn't have when it was originally sold."

It didn't get better from there, until the situation ended up going viral due to some VERY wonderful assistance from friends with much greater social media presence than I have. Tesla locks 80 miles of customer’s battery range for $4,500 ransom

This WAS eventually fixed but nothing so small as an apology was ever even suggested.

This is the type of company they want to be, so buyer-beware on any visit to any service center. EVERYTHING is "legally binding" on you the customer, NOTHING they say is viewed as binding on them. I have been to 4 different service centers, and been lied to - to my face - at three of them, in VERY easily provable ways. They have no shame about this.

The MCU upgrade is very nice, but if it involves letting these type of antics happen around your car and your wallet.... Caveat Emptor.
I'm sorry for the bad service you got (not sure where on "earth" you are) but I had good service at Tesla's Tigard Oregon SC when they upgraded my 12/2016 S90D w/ MCU1 to MCU2+FSD computer. I had a very long subsequent want for FSD to actually arrive (required camera upgrades which service eventually did at no charge) and VOILA! December of 2022 (six long years later)I *finally* got FSD delivered to me! So the moral is.... keep pestering Tesla and eventually they will make good on their promises. But don't let them off the hook until they do!!

Had the MCU2 upgrade. Got to keep Premium Connectivity. XMRadio worked for a day and then quit; resolved by talking with XMRadio and giving them my Radio ID - all is working now. Happy with that purchase. But then...
...sometime, somewhere, some how, my wiper arms got swapped!! o_O I read the User Manual and to remove and replace requires a special tool, or, $110 for Tesla to swap them back.

Had the MCU2 upgrade. Got to keep Premium Connectivity. XMRadio worked for a day and then quit; resolved by talking with XMRadio and giving them my Radio ID - all is working now. Happy with that purchase. But then...
...sometime, somewhere, some how, my wiper arms got swapped!! o_O I read the User Manual and to remove and replace requires a special tool, or, $110 for Tesla to swap them back.

Longer wiper blade should be on the driver's side - you can either swap the arms or just the blades, no special tools required.

Now tell us about the XM radio thing - did you pay for the additional $500 tuner?

I'm sorry for the bad service you got (not sure where on "earth" you are) but I had good service at Tesla's Tigard Oregon SC when they upgraded my 12/2016 S90D w/ MCU1 to MCU2+FSD computer. I had a very long subsequent want for FSD to actually arrive (required camera upgrades which service eventually did at no charge) and VOILA! December of 2022 (six long years later)I *finally* got FSD delivered to me! So the moral is.... keep pestering Tesla and eventually they will make good on their promises. But don't let them off the hook until they do!!
So you paid for FSD twice? That sucks.

• Disagree
Reactions: pilotSteve
Now tell us about the XM radio thing - did you pay for the additional $500 tuner?
Longer wiper blade should be on the driver's side - you can either swap the arms or just the blades, no special tools required.

The XM Radio tuner module was replaced with a new module; I paid $1700 for the MCU2 upgrade and that included all labor and tuner included in that price. Don't ask my how that happened - it just did.

• Love
Reactions: geordi
Thanks for showing how easy it is to replace the wiper blades, but my big problem is that someone removed and reinstalled my wiper arms (not the blades) in the wrong orientation. Nominally, when the blades are in the down position, the blade tips should be very close (maybe less than an inch) to each other but not touching or overlapping. My blades overlap so that the longer driver side blade sits above the shorter passenger blade by a significant amount.

• Informative
To swap the arms should not require any kind of special tools. I fixed mine after a windshield replacement with just an adjustable wrench.

The large hex on the pivot of the wiper arm is a nut, hold the arm (so you don't torque the motor) and use a wrench to loosen that nut. Take it off and you will find a tapered shaft underneath. Wiggle the arm vertically until it loosens, then you can remove it and position it on the other stud.

Don't do this from the service position, or you will not know where the "parked" position is for the arms.

• Helpful
MCU2 upgrade in Canada (without the FM tuner) is $2k plus HST. That's what I paid two weeks ago
Damn...a service advisor (last Friday) quoted me $3k CAD in Mississauga for the upgrade.
$3k CAD, convert back to USD doesn't equal $1750 USD. So, something doesn't seem right.
Bottomline, I'm just trying to figure out which country is cheaper for my upgrade, given the exchange rate of 1 USD = 1.36 CAD (@ 4/25/2023). Nearest US Tesla service center is ~an hour from me in Rochester (Henrietta), NY.