Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimal stall choice at empty Supercharger

Which stall works best at a Supercharger

• Stall 1A

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a *best* stall to pick at a Tesla supercharger station?

1) stall 1A ?

2) The stall closest to the transformer?

3) the stall you can drive nose-first into?

My experience seems to be option 2 is the fastest, and I notice that that stall is often taken when there are two Tesla’s charging at a Supercharger station.

With no cars at the site, all stations should be equal. I believe that each pair has dedicated charging units.
There could be a slight (read maybe seconds faster) advantages to the closest one.

In general, the rule is to NOT park at a charger when someone is charging at it's pair (A/B)

Reactions: APotatoGod
The one that actually charges at max rate, has been my experience. I've had to move stalls at empty Superchargers to get maximum charge rate about 4-5 times on my ~10 stops that I've made on road trips. The position appeared uncorrelated with distance from the charging equipment.

Also, only use ones with the Tesla light on. They should make those lights brighter so they're actually visible in the daytime (I have to go up to them and shade my eyes during the day to see whether the light is on). And if you come across one with a light off, go ahead and tie up the cord on it and leave it hanging, to make it obvious, if someone hasn't already done so.

With no cars at the site, all stations should be equal. I believe that each pair has dedicated charging units.

The one that actually charges at max rate, has been my experience. I've had to move stalls at empty Superchargers to get maximum charge rate about 4-5 times on my ~10 stops that I've made on road trips. The position appeared uncorrelated with distance from the charging equipment.

Exactly my experience too. I’ve had to move at empty Superchargers to get a decent rate.

I wonder Are the Supercharger stations wired with homerun wiring? Each station wired directly back to the transformer? Or are they wired serially back to the transformer which would have more connections that could reduce charging?

I’m trying not to be a conspiracist, but it seems like the stall closest to the transformer is the most common busy one. Maybe it’s traffic pattern, and that’s the easiest one to access...

in any case, when I move to get a better rate, moving towards the transformer seems to work.

the consensus seems to be that there isn’t an optimal stall.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Exactly my experience too. I’ve had to move at empty Superchargers to get a decent rate.

I wonder Are the Supercharger stations wired with homerun wiring? Each station wired directly back to the transformer? Or are they wired serially back to the transformer which would have more connections that could reduce charging?

I’m trying not to be a conspiracist, but it seems like the stall closest to the transformer is the most common busy one. Maybe it’s traffic pattern, and that’s the easiest one to access...

in any case, when I move to get a better rate, moving towards the transformer seems to work.

the consensus seems to be that there isn’t an optimal stall.

The transformer is wired to the breaker/bus bar equipment which in turn is wired to individual supercharger (hidden, generally, behind a fence ). Each of those chargers feeds a pair of charging cables. Cabinet 1 feeds 1a/1b, etc. There should be no difference. I never change positions unless there is an abnormally low power coming through e.g. 46kW when there should be about 96kW. If it is 89kw vs expected 96kW I wouldn't waste the time moving. That's just my 120,000 mile experience with lots of superchargers talking. IMHO there is no "optimal stall" in theory or in practice.

Biggest thing on old chargers is avoiding stanchion 1 if someone is on 1 and avoiding 2 if someone is charging on 2, etc. New ones I am not sure it makes a difference. I usually cruise through and see what number people on on a choose accordingly.

Is there a *best* stall to pick at a Tesla supercharger station?

1) stall 1A ?

2) The stall closest to the transformer?

3) the stall you can drive nose-first into?

My experience seems to be option 2 is the fastest, and I notice that that stall is often taken when there are two Tesla’s charging at a Supercharger station.

It's probably just me but I leave the nose in for people driving X's with bike racks or trailers. But having watched people backing in (even with HD back up camera and lines)...well, maybe the majority of spots should be nose first.:(

Last edited:
Suddenly it occurs to me that somebody ought to design a bag that can cover the top of a Supercharger station that looks official and proclaims that station is out of order. Then you fill up at the shared station. Remember to grab the bag before you depart. :)
Something that fancy would be a giveaway that it is fake. The station that I frequent with an out of order stall just has the plug covered in masking tape.