Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimize range settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Set Sentry Mode to be Off at your home location. Sentry mode causes the Tesla Model Y to remain awake, drains the battery while parked at a significant rate. Same with Summon stand by (if you have purchased Full Self Driving; turn this off.)

Set Cabin Overheat Protection to No AC or Off, can use 6 or more kW per day when set to run the AC. (Consider tinting the front windshield, side windows as this can reduce the heat load when the AC is running.

Keep tires inflated to the recommended pressure (42 PSI) or even a few pounds higher.

Keep speed to no more than 70 MPH, the faster you drive the lower your efficiency. Try it, you will see a marked difference. Drive for a stretch at 60/65/70/75 MPH and reset the trip computer for each speed.

Download A Better Route Planner (ABRP) to help plan charging stops on longer trips. (Available for your phone and also as a web app.)

Awesome thanks buddy
Also, set the Climate Control to Auto, 70-72F; In warm weather (hottest part of the day) turn on Recirculate Cabin Air (button on HVAC screen or else use the Voice Command "Recirculate" to turn this setting on and "Fresh Air" to turn this setting off. It is probably best to turn off Recirculate Cabin Air as you arrive at your destination, this may help dry out the AC evaporator coil to reduce the chance of mold and mildew growth on the evaporator (mold and mildew build up will cause bad odors to emanate from the HVAC system.)

If no one is seated in the front passenger seat or in the second row seats the Tesla Model Y HVAC system will leave these vents turned off. You will have to manually tap on the front seat passenger vent icon and press the button in the lower right corner of the HVAC settings screen for the second row vents each time you drive if you want these vents to be on.

The single thing that has the most impact on range is your driving style and especially your speed on the highway. Everything else is much less significant. I'd put tire pressure at the top of that less significant list. Heating... well you need heating/cooling to survive (as a human) so I see that one as relatively low.

If you dress warmly and use the heated seats and heated steering wheel you can drive without full time use of the Model Y's HVAC/heat and save the energy that would normally be used to heat the passenger cabin. I'm not recommending driving this way in sub zero temps but if you are trying to extend your range and maximize your efficiency it is one option. Of course if the windows start to fog up you need to clear the fogging for safety.

Ah, right. When you have the choice between being stranded or reaching a charger and freezing a little, fine. If it's about optimizing range in general then I don't list that item. I've even seen people suggest not charging your phone in the car. Seriously, you save so little that it's not worth it unless you're about to be stranded.
There are things you control and some you don't, and in all that there are significant and less significant things. You don't control elevation, temperature, wind. You control additional weight, speed, acceleration, tire pressure (and tire type), heating/cooling, use of accessories on the car etc.