Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Destination charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When charging on a destination charger such as a Tesla level 2 at a Hilton hotel where you don’t know the breaker or wire sizes what should the charging amps in the app be set too?

2023 Model Y Long Range

When charging on a destination charger such as a Tesla level 2 at a Hilton hotel where you don’t know the breaker or wire sizes what should the charging amps in the app be set too?
You don't.
This is kind of going on the general assumption that there wasn't something blatantly, stupidly, code violatingly wrong in the installation of the charging stations. They are configured properly, which means they announce to the cars how many amps they will supply, and the cars take that much, and it's all automagic. None of that is on you to ever think about or do anything with.

Of course, there can be wrong installations in very rare cases (I saw a thread on one of those just a week ago) but you can't know that is the case ahead of time or try to guess about it.

Reactions: Acps110

2023 Model Y Long Range
That's one of the functions of a level 2 charger - it tells the car via a communications protocol (there is a signal wire in addition to the power wires) what the max. amperage is. The car will then by default draw up to that maximum or at the maximum of what the car can handle.

Reactions: Rocky_H
As others have said no need to worry about how it was installed or the amps. More worrisome is will it be packed with other owners/renters who leave their car parked in the L2 parking spots and plugged in over night? The last couple times I've stay at Hilton properties with Tesla chargers they were a "first come, first serve" per the front desk people.

I've always put a note on my windshield with my mobile phone number and a short note to others who wants to charge...just text me and I'll move. Not everyone does that and in that case there is no way to know who parked there or how long they'll be there.

So it's a nice to have but I wouldn't count on it for road tripping.