Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimizers... what are they good for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still making more solar than I use in the winter but my winter usage is 1/2 my summer usage without using AC. Still, I'd want a backup generator hooked up to my 500 gallon propane tank as a fallback just in case and will probably go from 3 to 5 Powerwalls.

What is your source of heating?
I have a 22kw generator on a 500 gallon tank.

I have 4 heat pump compressors on 10 minisplit heads. I do not run them all, but still, they use 50 to 70kw per day just for these! And if I add the EV car in, etc. Today my 30kw solar made only 4kwh.

So folks that do not have heat pumps had NO idea how much these use in the winter, when cold!!

On a good day in winter I am making 30kwh, so you can add for most than real usage onto these numbers

energy jan.png

I think looking at an app and seeing a panel all black is braindead easier than using an IR camera (which I don't even have) nor all the math to ensure voltage nor anything about a MPP channel that I know nothing about neither. Your two pics look near the same to me as well so I can't see what's the problem there.

The main thing is from my own purchase, strings again weren't much cheaper in the grand scheme of a project so I still advocate the route of micros if given a choice (that's not an option for some installers of course). And now, we all need batteries under NEM3.0 as well which are far more $$ than the string vs. micros debate.

The problem arises when people pursue micros based on the narrative that they're better for shading or reliability or troubleshooting which is generally not true. It get even worse because they're essentially used as a crutch so XYZ solar company can hire solar installers that don't know anything about solar. So people end up paying a premium on equipment to make up for less skilled labor.

NEM 3.0 makes an understanding of solar even more critical. It's a lot easier to add storage to a hybrid inverter than micros. The GroWatt inverters I'm using now can be oversized by 200% on the AC side and can divert 'clipped' energy into a battery. So you can cram 20kW into a 10kW inverter. With NEM 3.0 when energy is produced becomes more important than how much. Much easier to oversize a string system than a micro system.

The comparison between the customer I'm attempting to help fix his system with a 16kW array I installed last year brought this to the front of my mind. The inverter for the 16kW system was ~$1500.... and it's a hybrid. For ~$6k we can add batteries to it. Micros for a 16kW array would have run ~$7k. Another $12k for storage. That's an insane price difference. And when you have an oversized array your line losses at peak produce are free since it's energy that would have been curtailed anyway. If you use micros none of it is free.

Reactions: h2ofun
I have a 22kw generator on a 500 gallon tank.

I have 4 heat pump compressors on 10 minisplit heads. I do not run them all, but still, they use 50 to 70kw per day just for these! And if I add the EV car in, etc. Today my 30kw solar made only 4kwh.

So folks that do not have heat pumps had NO idea how much these use in the winter, when cold!!

On a good day in winter I am making 30kwh, so you can add for most than real usage onto these numbers

View attachment 1006696

Strange. My system is literally half the size of yours but on a good day I'm making 45ish this time of year. Yesterday was quite overcast and I still made 38kwh. Is it your placement of the panels? Mine are all due south elevated at 25 degrees.

Screenshot_20240106_174513_Tesla.jpg_compressed.JPEGScreenshot_20240106_174526_Tesla.jpg_compressed.JPEGScreenshot_20240106_174549_Tesla.jpg_compressed.JPEG

What are you making on best days in April through June? I'm hitting 88 to 90 on the best days. Do you have tree cover in the winter?

Last edited:
It is technically illegal in Florida but only in local municipalities that legislate it. It still doesn't prevent grid defection but requires jumping through more hoops.

There is currently no california state law preventing it. I already know several, personally who've defected.

I think I've point blank asked you what areas these are and you've never answered me. Can you spell out in simple terms where these houses are you know personally that are off grid?

Care to expand on that? I'm all for being wrong and learning something.

It's almost not worth a response since stating that optimizers are the worst of both worlds just plain doesn't make any sense. If you knew what optimizers did, you wouldn't have made the statement.

At any rate, I'm not going to rely on IR guns to possibly diagnose a bad panel as a single panel going bad is unlikely to be very obvious causing me to run out and try and diagnose it with my ST-80 or FLIR imager.

If a panel goes bad, I'll get a notification as soon as it goes bad because I have optimizers and as soon as a panel goes too low or stops producing power, I'll get notified. Also useful for shading that increased due to tree growth. Without the optimizers, I can't tell if there is a partial reduction or shading of a panel unless I'm out there looking all the time for shade and if there's a weak panel, I'll probably never notice without panel level production numbers.

I'd still prefer micro inverters over optimizers as they can provide all the benefits of optimizers without the all your eggs in one basket downsides of having a single inverter.

Strange. My system is literally half the size of yours but on a good day I'm making 45ish this time of year. Yesterday was quite overcast and I still made 38kwh. Is it your placement of the panels? Mine are all due south elevated at 25 degrees.

View attachment 1006704View attachment 1006703View attachment 1006702

What are you making on best days in April through June? I'm hitting 88 to 90 on the best days. Do you have tree cover in the winter?
Yep, a lot of my 90 panels are not at a great angle!! Many are north.

The best I get is 185kwh in a day, so I can produce lots.

solar month.png
solar year.png

The problem arises when people pursue micros based on the narrative that they're better for shading or reliability or troubleshooting which is generally not true. It get even worse because they're essentially used as a crutch so XYZ solar company can hire solar installers that don't know anything about solar. So people end up paying a premium on equipment to make up for less skilled labor.

I don't think this is really done anymore even though pro-strings people keep bringing it up. I rarely see this much on solar reddit and as I keep saying, the cost in an overall project is pretty insignificant. I think for me, it was like $1k-$2k for $45k job not even including the tax credit. I still don't see from your example how troubleshooting a string was easier than a micro to find that dead panel.

Even though $1 or 2k is $1 or 2k, for residential where folks have limited space on a roof, it's still a no brainer of course, all IMO when you can only have so many panels up there, especially for homes in CA. You sound like a fairly technical owner yourself, but I think for the masses of clueless solar home owners, I'm still not a fan of strings and wouldn't suggest them.

In the example you bring up with the financial $ numbers, do you do this as a full time job now or you are doing this as a favor for a friend at reduced cost or just as a favor for a beer? I'm not familiar with hybrid inverters, but have seen micros now which do support multiple panels for lower cost. It's not a fair comparison I feel from what I've seen since you aren't getting the same redundancy.

I'm sure for folks who complain about having a basic string inverter off-line for 3 months or longer (those posts are all over TMC regularly), the solar production lost FAR outweighs the cost savings from the string vs. micro debate. There are very few micro complaints which pop up here from what I've noticed.

One in San Jose, one in Morgan Hill, one in Merced, and one in the Santa Cruz mountains. I'm not giving you addresses.

I don't recall you asking me where before.

I'd be curious on the San Jose one for sure and understand not sharing addresses and don't expect you to, but understanding more on how/why/any utility issues before they went off grid would help the discussions for sure.

Like that Palo Alto owner I think it was who was asked for hundreds of thousands of utility upgrades to be connected to the grid, those edge cases don't apply to the 85% of most owners out there and my belief (maybe wrongly) is that it's not as simple as you claim.

I guess the good thing is as the IOUs ramp up cost, perhaps more and more people will consider this route and post/share/youtube all of it for the rest of us, especially more well to do folks.

Reactions: h2ofun
Apparently not for most people. One system was down for over a year and the other for over a month. If you have the skills why not save yourself ~$4k and just go with a string inverter?

Is the tiny bit of redundancy worth ~$4k?

How many micros was $4k? I see end user prices for iq7+ for $147 and iq8 of $200, but this is from an installer with marked up prices and not direct during an install. Maybe some of the installers here can chime in what they charge end users.

How many micros was $4k? I see end user prices for iq7+ for $147 and iq8 of $200, but this is from an installer with marked up prices and not direct during an install. Maybe some of the installers here can chime in what they charge end users.

You also need an an enphase combiner which adds ~$500. The cables to interconnect micros are ~$20 each. If you want to have backup you need a smart controller which adds ~$2k. Then the batteries are ~2x the price since every battery is AC coupled so it includes it's own inverter(s).

Solar Edge has been having severe quality issues. It would be interesting to know how much of the 'stink' on string inverters is due to the high failure rate of Solar Edge. We've replaced 4 Solar Edge inverters in ~2 years. One was replaced twice. I've had 2 SMA failures with ~10 y/o inverters but none with the 'new' ~5 y/o models.

Last edited:
It's almost not worth a response since stating that optimizers are the worst of both worlds just plain doesn't make any sense. If you knew what optimizers did, you wouldn't have made the statement.
No need for insults. We are a better forum than that.

At any rate, I'm not going to rely on IR guns to possibly diagnose a bad panel as a single panel going bad is unlikely to be very obvious causing me to run out and try and diagnose it with my ST-80 or FLIR imager.

If a panel goes bad, I'll get a notification as soon as it goes bad because I have optimizers and as soon as a panel goes too low or stops producing power, I'll get notified. Also useful for shading that increased due to tree growth. Without the optimizers, I can't tell if there is a partial reduction or shading of a panel unless I'm out there looking all the time for shade and if there's a weak panel, I'll probably never notice without panel level production numbers.

I'd still prefer micro inverters over optimizers as they can provide all the benefits of optimizers without the all your eggs in one basket downsides of having a single inverter.
Fair enough. My comment was in relation to reliability/redundancy. I didn't appreciate panel level monitoring was your number one priority.

You also need an an enphase combiner which adds ~$500.
That is just a one item and much less expensive than an inverter and gateway
The cables to interconnect micros are ~$20 each.
Don't they already have interconnection cables?
Then the batteries are ~2x the price since every battery is AC coupled so it includes it's own inverter(s).
Aren't Tesla batteries are also AC coupled?

Solar Edge has been having severe quality issues. It would be interesting to know how much of the 'stink' on string inverters is due to the high failure rate of Solar Edge. We've replaced 4 Solar Edge inverters in ~2 years. One was replaced twice. I've had 2 SMA failures with ~10 y/o inverters but none with the 'new' ~5 y/o models.
My SE is just a time bomb waiting to happen. When it was first installed, I was shocked how hot it ran during the summer without active cooling relying on just the heat sink on the back as a passive radiator. I 3d printed cowls that sit on top with 2 large PC fans that pull air that I use in the summer which keeps the heat sink more than 100F cooler.

• Informative
Reactions: cali8484