TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Options Revealed in Survey?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Duke Eagle, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Duke Eagle

Duke Eagle New Member

While standing in line yesterday morning at the Tesla store in Washington DC, a Tesla employee walked through and asked people to answer a survey. It had a lot of standard questions like:

what type of car do you currently have?
    what other cars did you consider?
    what features did you find most appealing?

But it also had a question about how interested would you be in certain options -- and included prices. I did not pay lots of attention or try to write it down, because I expected those options to be part of the reveal last night. Or at least revealed in a press release later. It could be that they were preliminary, but I thought it was very interesting. The ones that I remember were:

Extended battery -- $18,000
    Winter package -- $1000
    All-wheel drive -- (I can't remember if it was $2500 or $5000)
    Autopilot -- (I can't remember if it was $2500 or $5000)

There were also a couple of others. Did anyone else see this? Any one write it down?

2. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

This is interesting. AWD and autopilot for me

3. rcarpen22

rcarpen22 Member

I've already mentally spec'd out my car based on the reveal and the information from the Tesla rep in the periscope test drive. Mine will be:

Red
    Dual motor
    base battery
    AP
    Cold weather package

Pretty much just like my MS, only red. I am really happy to hear that cold weather package will be an option. I super love the heated steering wheel on my S. I'm also happy to hear that awd and rwd are available. Thanks for sharing.

4. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

$18000? We could almost buy our own ship for that! Seriously, though, it's strange that the cost of a battery upgrade would be significantly more than it is for the Model S.

5. BoldSharpe

BoldSharpe Member

Agreed. That is out of control expensive considering a new pack for the S costs just north of $20K right now... Pre-Giga Factory.

6. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S P6415

That will probably be $8,000 or less... definitely not $18,000

7. rcarpen22

rcarpen22 Member

Who's gonna fly it kid, you?

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. ljbad4life

ljbad4life Member

Going from a Model S 70D to a 90D is 13k,that 18k is a bit too much. 10-13k is what I expect. Unless the upgrade is a huge improvement in range (300+)

The rest of the options are spot on price wise from what we've seen from Tesla

9. Lesifass

Lesifass Member

Damn! I hope that's not the final price. At an estimated cost of $200/kWh, that's enough to produce a 90kWh battery, in addition to the battery already included with the Model 3. Sure, Tesla might try to increase the average selling price …

I was expecting less than $10k for the battery upgrade. If that's not available at the price, I'll probably skip that option. I don't care about most other options, only cold weather package and Autopilot might be worth it for me.

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Maybe it was "Performance model with extended battery"? That'd potentially be more inline with a $18k option. We already know that battery size factors in heavily to performance, and that there will be a Model 3 faster than the quoted sub-6s 0-60, so perhaps they're pairing those up.

11. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

Doug Field (product lead) mentions a few things will be optional in the 3:

Fixed glass
    Metal roof
    Pano roof

12. Beryl

Beryl Member

My fully loaded Model Ξ that I hope will come in under $65,000 will include
    Extended battery - highest available
    Dual chargers (if the single charger is less than 72A)
    AP
    Pano
    AWD
    Model S equivalent feature(s) that adds powerlifting and additional lightning
    Black wheels
    Upgraded sound

2 things I'm still contemplating:
    - Performance - not sure I want this if it cannot be shut off completely to increase range
    - Prefer the 1st gen textile seats but I may go with 2nd (or 3rd) gen seats if it will expedite delivery.