Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orange Peel Paint Issue - what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0BB93913-6F8A-424C-9420-B6E7E6B585E9.jpeg
It’s really hard to photograph this in my garage, even with an iPhone X camera.

My entire paint surface looks like that of an orange peel. If you zoom in on the reflection of the lights you can see it a little. In person it’s very obvious. Is this something the SC should/can fix? I didn’t notice it on delivery in November, but also only recently learned that this isn’t normal. Any (positive) advice is welcome.
C1A06C0C-444A-428F-B446-CE5E029A1C23.jpeg

If you took delivery in November then I feel like you’re well past the window where the SC would be obligated to take care of you. If it really does bother you, I recommend going to a local and reputable detailer and seeing what they can do. Orange peel is usually fixed with wet sanding and polishing.
I’m not an expert, but maybe a PPF such as Xpel on top would hide the orange peel?

Orange peel on an automotive surface is extremely common. It can be wet sanded as mentioned above, or you can use a denim polishing pad (and by you, I do mean an experienced detailed) and a fairly aggressive polish.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
I agree with trm2, this is common for cars that come out of the factory. The way I understand it is the paint and clear coat are baked at high temps causing the paint to shrink and you get orange peel. The reason why I like it is 3rd party paint shops cannot do this since the car is fully equip and the bake process is much slower and less orange peel. This is a good way to determine if the car has been painted outside of the factory if it was in an accident. The serious guys that restore cars wet sand the clear coat to get the mirror image and no orange peel for shows and event where they get judged.