TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Orbital Sciences Antares / Cygnus

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by dpeilow, Jan 9, 2014.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Orbital Sciences successfully launched their Antares on its first COTS resupply mission today (after 2 demo flights last year).

While reading up on it, I was surprised by the amount of foreign and pre-existing parts of the vehicle.

- The first stage is made by the Yuzhnoye Design Bureau in Ukraine and is derived from the Zenit rocket but has refurbished motors from the Russian N1 moon rocket.

- The second stage is an Alliant Techsystems (ATK) Castor 30 which is derived from Castor motors used on previous OS rockets and before that, missiles.

- The presurised cargo module is built by Thales Alenia Space of Italy.

- The service module is derived from OS's Star geostationary satellite buses.

It's quite a contrast from SpaceX's mostly in-house approach.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Like Tesla vs. Fisker.

3. HVM

HVM Savolainen

#3 HVM, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
    In regards of the in-house IP of Antares, it is. But other ways, launch company founded in 80s, with 594 launches and 174 satellites built, how f... it's like Fisker? Example: SpaceX has only launched satellites made by Orbital to Geostationary orbit :)

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Fisker also used mostly outside parts.

5. claytorj

claytorj Member

#5 claytorj, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    This is also similar to the approach that Musk wanted to take at first with SpaceX, until coming to the realization that he believed it could all be done more efficiently and went to work building everything in-house to reduce costs. It's not surprising that other companies chose NOT to do this, as it is a massive undertaking.

I'm still not sure about the Antares viability long-term. Orbital has a contract with Aerojet for 32 of the first stage Russian engines (just enough to complete their 16 CRS launches for NASA). Beyond that, Aerojet only has 23 more of these Russian engines (enough for 11 more launches). Nobody is manufacturing this engine anymore (although Aerojet has offered to work with Kuznetsov to restart production). Orbital tried to buy another engine (the RD-180) but ULA blocked that and Orbital has sued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NK-33

Should be interesting to see what Orbital does (or doesn't do) going forward. They aren't even in attempting to get themselves certified to carry humans (commerical crew). Once SpaceX, Sierra Nevada, and Boeing get this running, and Orbital is winding down it's CRS missions, I have a feeling that Orbital quietly steps aside and shelves its Antares rocket.

6. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Interesting. So Orbital got a sweetheart deal on a bunch of obsolete (in the sense of no longer made) engines to make a competitive bid for these resupply runs?

We don't exactly know how much profit SpaceX is making from any of these flights but if they are making a decent amount of profit then they are really sweeping the board in pricing. To be competitive or beating the price of a company getting discount rates on it's parts is just a game changer.

7. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Orbital's 3rd resupply mission suffered a rocket failure shortly after liftoff.

B1EVpC7CIAAehIf.jpg

8. Lump

Lump Active Member

#8 Lump, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

9. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

10/28/14 Orbital Sciences re supply mission failure

Here is the live stream Orbital Sciences Commercial Resupply Launch | NASA

I don't follow this as closely as Tesla stuff.
    When I first saw it I was afraid it was a SpaceX launch.
    Still sad to see, but I am glad it wasn't SoaceX.

Currently they are reporting all personnel accounted for with no injuries.
    The supply mission was an unmanned mission.

Edit, please delete or merge, information already posted.

10. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Five thousand pounds of gear destined for the ISS. Wondering if their first phone call was to Elon, asking how soon a Falcon9 could be ready.

I feel so sad for all the time and effort that people must have put into the mission, just to see it end like that.

11. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Just glad there were no injuries or fatalities.
    This was supposed to be the 3rd of eight such trips, by Orbital Sciences as part of a NASA contract worth $1.9 billion.

12. scott jones

scott jones Member

13. setherme

setherme Member

I believe it was an Orbital Sciences rocket under a similar contract with NASA.

14. HVM

HVM Savolainen

Failed Soviet Moon program byte back again? (I know NK-15 vs. NK-33/AJ26, not same thing) Maybe same the root cause as in the failed AJ26 test in may?

Bad wrap for commercial NASA programs...

15. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Betcha they wish they used a spacex vehicle :)

16. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

As Elon says: "Rockets are not easy." I'm glad no one was hurt. A rocket is basically a controlled explosion. It only takes one very minor flaw to create a catastrophic event like we saw.

The Antares uses a Russian engine very similar to the RD-180 engines used on the Atlas 5. It is the NK-33. It is reworked by Rocketdyne and given a new designation to the AJ26. There was a significant engine failure during testing in May.

Antares Rocket Engine Suffers Significant Failure During Testing

NK-33 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

17. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

#17 Curt Renz, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Yes, it was Orbital Sciences which is a publicly traded company. It's shares are down about 17% in after hours trading compared with the regular hours closing price. SpaceX is a privately held company.

Elon Musk tweets his sorrow to Orbital Sciences: Elon Musk on Twitter:

18. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

Yep. Rockets are indeed a "tricky thing". Hope SpaceX has a rocket ready to go. Not sure how much food margin they're running with at the ISS these days.

19. HVM

HVM Savolainen

20. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Besides the delay in determining what went wrong it appears there will be considerable work to fix the damaged pad.