Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Model 3, but delay puckup for 1 month?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was planning placing an order for a long range AWD Model 3 this week, especially since FSD is still 6k. But because interest rates are so low we decided to refinance our house was advised to hold off any new loans until this is completed (which will be 9/27).

So question is, can I put down a deposit for a 3 to lock in pricing, but hold off on delivery until after the 27th? Or does Tesla expect you to take delivery as soon as the car is ready? I'm worried FSD will increase in price in the meantime,

I was planning placing an order for a long range AWD Model 3 this week, especially since FSD is still 6k. But because interest rates are so low we decided to refinance our house was advised to hold off any new loans until this is completed (which will be 9/27).

So question is, can I put down a deposit for a 3 to lock in pricing, but hold off on delivery until after the 27th? Or does Tesla expect you to take delivery as soon as the car is ready? I'm worried FSD will increase in price in the meantime,

LoL you want the opposite of most of us. I would imagine you could just be difficult with the pickup date at worst. Assuming they don't make you pay prior to delivery like they do in some states

• Funny
Reactions: Cree
I don't think you can push the delivery date to far back. I have a scheduled pick-up for tomorrow and I called to push it until Tuesday of next week and the agent had to get confirmation that this was okay. I think you should just wait until everything on your end clears up. I hope this helps

I don't think there will be any issue with waiting 4 weeks. I've been waiting more than 4 weeks myself. A mortgage officer will have no idea you have a deposit on a car, only if you apply for a loan. So just don't do that step until you get a delivery date, which again, will probably be 4+ weeks.

I ordered my Model 3 Performance on July 29 in anticipation of the FSD price increase in August. I told them at the time that I couldn't take delivery until mid September, and they were OK with that. I just received a text from them saying to expect another 3-4 week wait until delivery could be scheduled. So I would say that you should go ahead and order, and tell them when you want delivery. They seem to be flexible.

If you have a trade in you don’t want to start that process too far in advance as Tesla sells the cars to a wholesaler and it’s the current weeks set value that plays into your offer. Otherwise it could expire if too far out. So hard to know what car interest rates will be out a ways. Also will the parts from China be factored into the tariffs come time for delivery. I gave up trying to follow.

I would advise you do nothing until your home loan closes.. especially NOT " a week before it closes". Very common for a financial institution to pull your credit again right before they close your loan, and you do not want another line of credit (or an application for a car) on there at that time.

Once you start the home loan / refinance process, you should change NOTHING about your credit, and apply for NOTHING... regardless of when you decide to take delivery. Tesla also wont push it off that much, but thats not the issue. having to explain an application for a car when you dont have to is.

wait until AFTER your loan CLOSES and FUNDS... then do what you want.

/e unsolicited advice off...

Reactions: Cree