Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Model X now or wait for latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, likely a dumb question (as no one will really know the answer) but I was about to pull the trigger today on an MX but saw this tweet and wondering how quickly Tesla deploys the hardware after they ship firmware updates like this one.

green on Twitter

- Integrated inductive phone charger (Qi) for S/X cars.
- Two new S/X battery types in several configs (not yet sure of the capacity - TBD)
- new lumbar (so new seats?)
- New charge port type.
- New suspension version.
- I would speculate all these are imminent 1/

Cheers

Not a dumb question at all!
So I would have to say you are wrong at the start.
However you are also right! It's all guesses at this point.
If you go to S,X and 3 forums, you will occasionally find people bitter about missing out on a feature by buying too early.
But the vast majority simply enjoy their cars.

Hey folks, likely a dumb question (as no one will really know the answer) but I was about to pull the trigger today on an MX but saw this tweet and wondering how quickly Tesla deploys the hardware after they ship firmware updates like this one.

green on Twitter

- Integrated inductive phone charger (Qi) for S/X cars.
- Two new S/X battery types in several configs (not yet sure of the capacity - TBD)
- new lumbar (so new seats?)
- New charge port type.
- New suspension version.
- I would speculate all these are imminent 1/

Cheers
The answer is, very quickly. They will flip the switch literally overnight on features, so you may see the inclusion of a Qi charger beginning next week, or this could be part of an interior refresh to take place in March or October (completely unfounded, but just using for the sake of illustration). That being said, all, one or none of these could be here in the coming weeks, its very hard to guess. What I would say is decide if any or all of these are things that you see as must or very nice to haves, just give it a month or two and let things play out. I certainly would have done so if I had any semblance of the MCU2 coming out just months after my MX with MCU1.

Irregardless, you’ll love the vehicle though as someone else noted above :)

Reactions: Bigriver
They are supposedly shipping a QI charger for X as an aftermarket accessory very soon. Checkout shop.tesla.com

But trying to time Tesla is a losing game. They don't have model year updates like most car manufactures. They test features and then add them to production vehicles. Cars made days apart are different. Some changes are small, others are big like the switch from MCU 1 to MCU2, change to seats, change to interior color combinations, making the $5,000 PUP standard, etc. No announcements, they just put them in.

Personally, I think the change to charging ports will take a long time, since that would require a retrofit to the Supercharger network as they had to do in Europe because the law changed. Without such pressure, Tesla would not take on that large expense.

The wireless phone charger has already been added to the specs for the Model X ordering page so that’s new as of this week I believe. I’m waiting for the earnings call on Wednesday to see if any other X changes will be announced. Would love to see the battery change and 400 miles like the Rivian is proposing!

Reactions: RealDeal
upload_2020-1-27_21-15-22.png

Reactions: RealDeal