TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Order now, get white seats later?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ProphetM, Jun 27, 2018.

1. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

I'm very heavily considering just ordering my car now, giving up on white interior and just ordering replacement white seats when they finally become available. The wait for something so simple is becoming ridiculous.

With the recent pricing changes the white interior is now a $1500 option on the performance model, and so it will likely be the same when it becomes available for non-performance. The only differences besides seat color are a small center area on each door, and white dash instead of wood. We don't even know what material the dash is and it can be wrapped anyway. Losing the door center pieces seems a small price to pay to get the car much sooner. I can get seat covers or live with the black until white seats become available as replacement parts. It will lower my purchase prices on the car, and here in Nevada my registration fees are based in part on MSRP, saving me money there every year. And I can order before premium connectivity becomes extra, saving money there as well.

Has anyone here replaced seats in a Tesla? They're normally pretty easy to replace on most cars - some bolts, snaps and electrical connectors. Or get the black ones reupholstered or replace with 3rd party. The long wait and $1500 upcharge is making other options much more attractive.

• Like x 1
  2. kev1n

kev1n Member

tsportline also has white seats available for ~2000

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Technically they aren't selling seats, they are selling skins to replace the black skin on your existing seat.

• Informative x 1
  4. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I wouldn't count on Tesla selling you replacement white seats. They don't like to sell parts that aren't an exact replacement for your car. (As an example they don't allow next-gen seat upgrades on the S anymore.)

5. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

I'm sure there will be plenty of crashed performance Model 3s in junkyards soon...

• Funny x 6
  6. JoeCoolMan24

JoeCoolMan24 Member

#6 JoeCoolMan24, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2018
    The $1500 upgrade to change the color of the seats is such bull*sugar*. I'm very salty that they are charging Model 3 owners a premium for white seats that they do not charge S or X owners, the ones who likely wouldn't sneeze at another $1500. Terrible news.

• Like x 1
  7. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

#7 ProphetM, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Yeah, I decided to give up and order AWD with black interior. :( Even that is giving me an estimate of Sep-Nov, so who knows how long it would be before I could get the same with white interior. At least I can get AWD now! That was only made available to me yesterday or the day before.

I am not willing to keep waiting until next year for white interior when there is no firm ETA at all, while my gas cars keep sucking down fuel money and getting older.