Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order placed, wait to register?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Just received the configuration invite and placed my order yesterday. Exciting times.

Had a question for you fine folk. My situation is that I'm buying the car to share with a friend. I'm resident in Quebec and my friend is resident in Ontario. Both provinces have a rebate program, QC for 8k and ON for 14k, though as many of us know, ON's program is likely to get defunded.

Here then is where I'm not sure how best to proceed. Do I order on my name and deliver / register in QC? Do I order on my friend's name and deliver / register in ON? Right now I'm thinking I might just wait it out - I've placed the order, paid 3.2k on top of the original 1k, and now it wants me to register the vehicle and pay the remainder. The delivery is scheduled for Sept - Oct. Could I just wait as long as possible on registration to see what the conservatives will do in ON? Or does waiting with the registration simply postpone/delay the actual delivery?

This is actually my first vehicle, so I hope you'll forgive if I'm a bit clueless on the matter.

Curious to hear what your thoughts are on the matter.

Cheers!

Register for what? The rebate program? My understanding is that you can’t do anything until you take delivery of the car, at least for Ontario. I’d go back and read the regulations on the government websites and see which one works best and what conditions apply. Do you need to take possession? Can you do anything with just an order? Also not sure if you want to pick the best program or can you jointly own the car and then use part of both programs? (That sounds like a bureaucratic mess!)

Best of luck!

With registration, I was referring to the registration flow on the Tesla website that you go through after making your initial credit-card payment for your order. I'm unsure if this registration flow on Tesla's site is required for Tesla to proceed with delivery or whether I can hold off on finalizing it when Tesla's closer to actually delivering my vehicle and thereby get a clearer picture on which province I should register with.

If your decision is going to be based on which one has the better rebate, That might be a problem. Not sure how late you can hold off on documents and how late you can change address, etc. Might want to put both of you on the title and one takes possession and registers and files for rebate?