Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ordered a year and a half ago; no contact yet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They haven’t been doing solar tile installs all that long here the bay area from what I recall of posts on here. So it did just start fairly recently. Many building depts in the bay have been shut down for permits and inspections (we’ve been impacted on the solar panel/PW front). I would definitely give them a call to get a status though. 1 (877) 571 - 7652.

I put a deposit for a solar roof (Cupertino) 18 months ago, but i haven't heard back from Tesla. Is this normal? Are they not installing in the area?

thanks,

-bob
I would definitely contact them. The product has changed a lot in 18 months, so will likely need to update your configuration.

And they are definitely installing, especially in the Bay Area. People in Saratoga, Los Altos, Palo Alto, Peninsula, and SJ have been installed. I see no reason they would not install in Cupertino. I am out in Pleasanton and they installed mine in 31 days (Feb 2 - Mar 2) even with the shutdown.

I would definitely contact them. The product has changed a lot in 18 months, so will likely need to update your configuration.

And they are definitely installing, especially in the Bay Area. People in Saratoga, Los Altos, Palo Alto, Peninsula, and SJ have been installed. I see no reason they would not install in Cupertino. I am out in Pleasanton and they installed mine in 31 days (Feb 2 - Mar 2) even with the shutdown.

If not mistaken, Cupertino may be wholely or partially in the jurisdiction of Santa Clara Country Fire department. That jurisdiction is in the process of changing code and making it retroactive. @Vines has commented on this as his company has had a number of issues with installs in that area. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your order but at this point a status call should be placed as installs in the Bay area are happening in various counties with the variances given in Phase 2.

If not mistaken, Cupertino may be wholely or partially in the jurisdiction of Santa Clara Country Fire department. That jurisdiction is in the process of changing code and making it retroactive. @Vines has commented on this as his company has had a number of issues with installs in that area. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your order but at this point a status call should be placed as installs in the Bay area are happening in various counties with the variances given in Phase 2.
Cupertino does their own permitting. As I understand the issue, it's the Unincorporated Areas of Santa Clara county that are affected. Technically, there are unincorporated parts of Cupertino too, so it could still be an issue. I had a house built in Unincorporated Los Altos, so I know something about the permitting process.

In addition, the issues are primarily with indoor Powerwall installs. I have not heard about any problem with SolarGlass and Santa Clara County Fire.

Thanks to all that replied. I called Tesla just now. It turns out my order was on hold because i had requested one of the types of tiles that they aren't using. I told him I was fine with changing the tile type and he said they'd be back with me in a week.
Glad you got it resolved, but I would have thought they would have contacted you. We chose the slate style when we first made a reservation (since our old roof was slate). But they reached out to us to ask us if we were okay with a different style since slate wasn't out yet. It's not clear at this point when or if Tesla plans to roll out the 4 styles they had mentioned back when they were taking v2 reservations.

Not sure why Tesla would have contacted anyone who ordered a product that wasn’t out yet. People pre-order cars in advance for example and they don’t hear anything from Tesla until they are ready to start filling orders, whether it be for a specific new model or variation of a model not yet going into production. With production up to the level it is now putting down a deposit on a Model 3 will get you a car in a pretty fast time frame. Newbies to Tesla might not be aware that wasn’t always the case. My 8/2017 deposit on one didn’t get any action until 6/2018 when I could finally order my car and then delivery wasn’t until 9/2018.

Only time I’ve known Tesla to reach out to some roof or solar orders was when they had determined they weren’t able to move into that region just yet so pro-actively canceled their roof reservation or in the case of some solar panel projects whose roofs weren’t going to be able to be fitted with their panels due to sizing or shading that would affect production.

Last edited:
Not sure why Tesla would have contacted anyone who ordered a product that wasn’t out yet. People pre-order cars in advance for example and they don’t hear anything from Tesla until they are ready to start filling orders, whether it be for a specific new model or variation of a model not yet going into production. With production up to the level it is now putting down a deposit on a Model 3 will get you a car in a pretty fast time frame. Newbies to Tesla might not be aware that wasn’t always the case. My 8/2017 deposit on one didn’t get any action until 6/2018 when I could finally order my car and then delivery wasn’t until 9/2018.

Only time I’ve known Tesla to reach out to some roof or solar orders was when they had determined they weren’t able to move into that region just yet so pro-actively canceled their roof reservation or in the case of some solar panel projects whose roofs weren’t going to be able to be fitted with their panels due to sizing or shading that would affect production.

I think the simple answer is it's good business for them to contact interested parties when they have a similar product. And though I can only speculate on the why, I can say for certain they did contact us even though we ordered a product that wasn't out yet, so whatever the reasons, they did contact us, let us know our selected style (slate) was not available at the time but that we had the option to choose the style they were selling.

To me it would be no different from a car dealer (not necessarily Tesla) saying that we can get you the car you want, but in a different color. Worst case, the customer declines and keeps waiting for it to be available in their desired color. And it makes particular sense for solar roof customers since it seems like it may be months or years before the other styles become available, so they might well lose customers otherwise who can't wait that long.

They already got back to me with an estimate (took them only two days). They proposed a 17.31KW system; that seems like a lot. We use about 900KWhr/mo. Do they base the system mainly on roof size? Also, if i wanted powerwalls, would i need three for this?