Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Model X, dealer has demo car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The *$700 discount is basically nothing. Would you loan your own vehicle to Tesla for $700 to be used as a showroom demo for several months? Of course you wouldn't. But there is some value in getting the car earlier and that value depends on whether or not you are bothered about waiting for your custom build. If you really want to be driving the car now, rather than at the end of the year then it might be worth it to you. But if not, then I would wait for your custom build. If the discount was $7000 then that would be a different matter altogether. FWIW the white interior demo car they had in our local showroom was looking pretty grubby and people were literally crawling all over it. I'm sure it would clean up okay, but I wouldn't even consider it for a $700 discount.

* I can't comment on the tax credit situation as I'm in the UK, but it sounds like that might be the real incentive to take this deal if it ends up saving you thousands.

The *$700 discount is basically nothing. Would you loan your own vehicle to Tesla for $700 to be used as a showroom demo for several months? Of course you wouldn't. But there is some value in getting the car earlier and that value depends on whether or not you are bothered about waiting for your custom build. If you really want to be driving the car now, rather than at the end of the year then it might be worth it to you. But if not, then I would wait for your custom build. If the discount was $7000 then that would be a different matter altogether. FWIW the white interior demo car they had in our local showroom was looking pretty grubby and people were literally crawling all over it. I'm sure it would clean up okay, but I wouldn't even consider it for a $700 discount.

* I can't comment on the tax credit situation as I'm in the UK, but it sounds like that might be the real incentive to take this deal if it ends up saving you thousands.

Absolutely sir.. $7500 federal and 100% write off due to weight and such. So yes, the primary incentive was getting delivery before year end. Not to mention, this one being 1 month old, it would be fully updated..

Now they are giving me the

"The 72 hour OCR (order clock running) time frame is for custom orders exclusively and not inventory options.

I am still going to submit a case and hopefully get you your money back in the end."

My 17 X had 772 miles on it when I got it in December 17. They discounted it $8000. The only cosmetic issue was curb rash on the left rear wheel. They said they would fix or replace that, but they didn't. No biggie. HERE is what I would be concerned with and has been pointed out by others. You would not be getting the latest and greatest, and I just got a big dose of that: I am a big camera fan and was anxiously awaiting the TeslaCam arrival. Currently it only goes back to cars made August or later of 2017. Guess what my build date is? How about July of 2017, so no camera for me (I tried). Overall, I love it. no major issues, ~16k miles.

My 17 X had 772 miles on it when I got it in December 17. They discounted it $8000. The only cosmetic issue was curb rash on the left rear wheel. They said they would fix or replace that, but they didn't. No biggie. HERE is what I would be concerned with and has been pointed out by others. You would not be getting the latest and greatest, and I just got a big dose of that: I am a big camera fan and was anxiously awaiting the TeslaCam arrival. Currently it only goes back to cars made August or later of 2017. Guess what my build date is? How about July of 2017, so no camera for me (I tried). Overall, I love it. no major issues, ~16k miles.

As mentioned, this car is a September '18 production car.. So does have all the "latest and greatest."