Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspicious influx of Demo Model S/X in new inventory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They just unload 5 X plaids in Nj all demo from 1 new and 9 miles and up but under 100 miles. No price drops though. I won’t bite till price drop to old plaid price and supercharging deal at least. Or wait till next year. Lawerenceville had a block on black X plaid as demo last week for sale, but not found on Tesla website?

Anybody else here starting to get some wild thoughts that S/X might be discontinued and replaced with cybertruck (and $25k car in the future)? Regardless of what Elon said about it being a sentiment thing... if that was the case, the original roadster would still be in production.

Space is being made in showroom for cybertrucks, doesn't mean all the demos needed to be sold off.

Only 1 line at the fremont factory is making S/X, but wouldn't it make more sense to convert that line to cybertruck to meet demands? I think they have 2M orders in the pipeline.

2024 VINs still haven't started yet, so it might come with an announcement. The model 3 highland is a 2024 VIN. I think shanghai model y with the ambient lighting is also a 2024 VIN (please correct me if that's not the case, wasn't able to find any hard evidence)

Also, I think Tesla wants to put pressure on Lucid, etc. to hopefully bankrupt them, and S/X are essential for that.

I agree with this. Tesla sacrificing their luxury models for CT doesn't make sense. The consumer base for both these products are probably different too.

Although the new Model 3 highland has almost all the same features luxury features of the current S minus the instrument cluster. Also a little smaller.

I think the best option for Tesla to make the S standout is to upgrade it rather than discontinue it.

Also don't forget Lucid is coming up with their new SUV claiming it's range is better than the X. So I think Tesla might also do something to compete with that.

I've never really seen Tesla as a luxury vehicle (perhaps high tech and classy).

If Tesla is trying to compete in that market segment than a minor refresh of the MS would not come close.

Tesla has always focused on the mass production rather than the custom stitching of 10 different leather options.

Lucid is good at luxury + range.
Mercedes is good at luxury, but no range.
Tesla is good at range, but not luxury

Anybody else here starting to get some wild thoughts that S/X might be discontinued
The S could probably go away tomorrow without much issue but Tesla needs a real 3-row SUV if they want to be taken seriously in the US market. The X needs to continue with a major redesign and simplification.

The cybertruck is a cosplay joke and they’re going to sell through the people willing to be seen in such a thing pretty quickly. I cant imagine them needing to make such a thing in multiple locations.

I've never really seen Tesla as a luxury vehicle (perhaps high tech and classy).

If Tesla is trying to compete in that market segment than a minor refresh of the MS would not come close.

Tesla has always focused on the mass production rather than the custom stitching of 10 different leather options.

Lucid is good at luxury + range.
Mercedes is good at luxury, but no range.
Tesla is good at range, but not luxury

Great technology is also a form of luxury. Specifically, Tesla Autopilot is much more usable than Lucid’s feature, and the software is the best as well overall (excluding possible Apple/Android integrations). It is not just about stitching. Ideally, you want both technology and great materials in luxury car. But I think many (not all) people will choose advanced technology over great materials.

I don’t know why everyone says Teslas software is so great. The UI/UX is terrible for an automotive application. Small fonts and small touch targets make it hard to use while driving. Flat monochrome design makes it hard to see things at a glance. The screen is big but there’s so much unused space.

Yes, the vertical integration with hardware and firmware and ability to update everything OTA is good. But the actual use interface is not great.

The app is fine but the critical features like remote lock/unlock and preconditioning are present in every other automakers apps too so it’s not really anything special.

I don’t know why everyone says Teslas software is so great. The UI/UX is terrible for an automotive application. Small fonts and small touch targets make it hard to use while driving. Flat monochrome design makes it hard to see things at a glance. The screen is big but there’s so much unused space.

Yes, the vertical integration with hardware and firmware and ability to update everything OTA is good. But the actual use interface is not great.

The app is fine but the critical features like remote lock/unlock and preconditioning are present in every other automakers apps too so it’s not really anything special.
I agree. Their software is pretty awful across the board.

The one area where Tesla is actually good IMO is the drivetrain.

The S could probably go away tomorrow without much issue but Tesla needs a real 3-row SUV if they want to be taken seriously in the US market. The X needs to continue with a major redesign and simplification.

The cybertruck is a cosplay joke and they’re going to sell through the people willing to be seen in such a thing pretty quickly. I cant imagine them needing to make such a thing in multiple locations.
The S is a classic for a reason. Amazing car but does need a total refresh and to be more upmarket in terms of luxury.

Reactions: David29
The S is a classic for a reason. Amazing car but does need a total refresh and to be more upmarket in terms of luxury.
I think you may be right, but I doubt it will happen. With the greater efficiency and range Tesla can now deliver, they could afford to make the car more comfortable, quieter, less "techy," more like the Lucid perhaps.
But as was said earlier, I think their real opportunity would be in the large SUV area, to compete with better/more practical 3-row SUVs. I looked at Model X, but it is simply too complex and too gimmicky to be a practical daily driver. A larger version of Model Y, with air suspension and more traditional controls and instruments, might sell very well.

Reactions: ucmndd and dsm363
I think you may be right, but I doubt it will happen. With the greater efficiency and range Tesla can now deliver, they could afford to make the car more comfortable, quieter, less "techy," more like the Lucid perhaps.
But as was said earlier, I think their real opportunity would be in the large SUV area, to compete with better/more practical 3-row SUVs. I looked at Model X, but it is simply too complex and too gimmicky to be a practical daily driver. A larger version of Model Y, with air suspension and more traditional controls and instruments, might sell very well.
Agree. I think an X with 4 regular doors (won't happen while current CEO is there) would be great. Simplify it and lower cost hopefully.

I've never owned a 'luxury' car before. The S was as close as I've gotten so I never had a problem with it. I guess others coming from Mercedes don't feel the same which makes sense. I hope they don't drastically change the look of the S. Much like the Porsche 911 hasn't really changed much in decades (same basic form), the S should stay the way it is for the most part.

I do think an S redesign with 4680 cells will come at some point. Maybe 2025 or later. It will be a 15 year old design at that point basically.

Reactions: hydro