Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered my (our) Roadster!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have to clean the garage. Have done it only partially. My garage is full of spider nets and dust.
I passed the weekend with a pickaxe to lower the slope for getting into this dusty garage... there's still much work to be done.

and don't forget to get some mobile heating devices for your garage. You may want to sleep in your car the first night :biggrin:
I wanted it, but the look of she who we must obey convinced me to change my mind.:scared: (as Rumpole has to obey Hilda):wink:

We had a meet-up in Hong Kong - 11 Tesla Roadsters. Of all the colors on show, the White (with black accents) was the one that most impressed me.

That said, I still like my Thunder Gray (Final Testing; delivering any day now) - and it'll be the first of that colour in Hong Kong.

The most surprising was the green demo car Tesla had there. I'd seen it in the garage before, and it looked horrible to me. But, out on the street it looked much better.

5575480199_16e212033d.jpg

5576069746_33f31f2708.jpg

Reactions: AtAge19
There are no unbeautiful Roadsters

Remember Slackjaw, beauty is in the eye...I think the Roadster looks good in Red as do many who ordered their cars as such...my move to white (from Red) was a last minute decision.

I don't disagree - I like it in red too. I don't think there is an unbeautiful Roadster in real life but somehow the rendered one on the initial web page doesn't do the machine justice. The design studio already produces much nicer images, admittedly it's newer technology, and maybe those are retouched photos instead of CGI renders.

And the bias toward red cars in the gallery is just unfortunate and I don't know why they don't link to the real gallery (maybe something about using picasa for commercial purposes?). So apologies to anyone who thought I was bashing red Roadsters, that was not my intention.

I used to think red cars get more tickets (but the data don't seem to support this so I have now stopped thinking it). We thought unless we could somehow blend in, we'd be getting tickets every hundred yards in this car, maybe we will, maybe not, but we initially picked Thunder Gray because we loved it (it was the colour we test drove, just like Jaff) and thought it might not stand out quite so much - "the car is already remarkable enough" was our thinking. Then we switched to Black a week after placing our order and after we examined them all on the picasa gallery. Oh, and we realised it's impossible not to stand out in a Roadster.

Last edited:
I'd tend to agree with you here...and I agree it looks great in any colour...it would be nice to see a greater variety of colours on TM's official site.

And the bias toward red cars in the gallery is just unfortunate and I don't know why they don't link to the real gallery (maybe something about using picasa for commercial purposes?). So apologies to anyone who thought I was bashing red Roadsters, that was not my intention.

I used to think red cars get more tickets (but the data don't seem to support this so I have now stopped thinking it). We thought unless we could somehow blend in, we'd be getting tickets every hundred yards in this car, maybe we will, maybe not, but we initially picked Thunder Gray because we loved it (it was the colour we test drove, just like Jaff) and thought it might not stand out quite so much - "the car is already remarkable enough" was our thinking. Then we switched to Black a week after placing our order and after we examined them all on the picasa gallery. Oh, and we realised it's impossible not to stand out in a Roadster.

Electrician will be here to wire the outlet in abut 3 hours, Tesla will be here in about 28 hours..... Of course, I'm not obsessing or clock watching or anything like that.... :wink:

Nigel, you left it to today to get the electrician for the outlet??? That's taking it right down to the wire! You do know that Bonnie1194 posted photographs of her NEMA 14-50 on Facebook months in advance, right?

We're actually dragging our feet a bit on the outlet too. It will be the first physical manifestation of the Roadster project in our lives ($10K deposit gone from our bank account doesn't count since we stopped keeping the cash under the matress). What if the car is delayed past the optimistic "delivery date", will we grow to hate that outlet, a statement of yet another unfinished "do list" item? Will we just stare coldly at it, or let out a lonely sigh as we walk past?

Nigel, you left it to today to get the electrician for the outlet??? That's taking it right down to the wire! You do know that Bonnie1194 posted photographs of her NEMA 14-50 on Facebook months in advance, right?

We're actually dragging our feet a bit on the outlet too. It will be the first physical manifestation of the Roadster project in our lives ($10K deposit gone from our bank account doesn't count since we stopped keeping the cash under the matress). What if the car is delayed past the optimistic "delivery date", will we grow to hate that outlet, a statement of yet another unfinished "do list" item? Will we just stare coldly at it, or let out a lonely sigh as we walk past?

hahah ... okay, when I read NigelM's post, my first thought was 'you waited until NOW???!! What if the electrician is late??'. I like risk-taking, but not that kind of risk. :) (But my NEMA 14-50 was only about a month in advance, not 'months'.)

If your Roadster is delayed past the delivery date, you can always plug your dryer in out in the garage. :) I had to wait an extra week for my car because of some last minute travel to New York. It killed me to wait a moment longer than required. (But the car was ready by the delivery date.)

I had to wait an extra week for my car because of some last minute travel to New York. It killed me to wait a moment longer than required.

Don't feel bad... the Ontario government announced a new EV incentive program while my car was being built. I had them slow down the delivery by two months in order to qualify for the $8500 rebate.

Was I tempted not to wait? Sure... but my CFO would not have approved.

Nigel, you left it to today to get the electrician for the outlet??? That's taking it right down to the wire!

Actually the car is much earlier than I expected.... Plus I'm not sure the electrician would have had it quite so easy when the garage was still full of junk. My wife pointed out that she has been asking me to clean the garage for the last 2 years and now I ordered a Roadster and "hey presto, it's done". (Why is she always so perceptively right?)

Approximately 25 hours to go....

Ooooow, delivery is delayed a day! :crying:

My car is at the showroom but the delivery trailer is needed for a service call tomorrow and now my delivery cannot take place till Friday. I'm ok with service coming before sales, nobody's fault, but now resetting the clock back to Friday lunchtime.....

48 hours to go till she's here.

I have not got this one pithy enough but I point out how the Roadster is faster than cars that cost twice as much. A bargain Supercar. Even more so when you take away all those $5000 spark plug changes.

I like that one from a practical angle - we looked at the Aston Martin DB9 which does cost about twice as much and requires $600 oil changes (not to mention the 12 mpg factor) - but in terms of how to react when someone who probably can't afford the car (or would just think you crazy for buying it) asks "how much?"... um, I am not so sure if either the "Helicopters cost more" Defense or the "Other Supercars cost twice as much!" Defense will save me from being run out of town by angry villagers. Of course escaping from the pitchfork-wielding mob in a Roadster is the fun/easy part :rolleyes:

The few people I have discussed the price with so far have reacted quite well, or maybe they're just being polite (or they're in shock). My angle is that I'm so very committed to saving the planet that I am willing to be an early adopter, and yes, we did switch to a renewable (wind/hydro) electricity provider to sidestep the whole "long tailpipe" argument. One of the people I talked to was a director of Greenpeace, he loves the Roadsters. But if all else fails, give them a test drive, I guess. Only then will they understand the true value...