Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Sunday, got a call about delivery today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a call - they have my car (blue, LR, RWD, std wheels) available and would like to schedule delivery asap.
Should I be concerned that they've already got a car - clearly, it was pre-built and looking for an owner as opposed to built to order. Is this likely to be one that someone declined to accept delivery of?

• Love
Reactions: Acps110
I wouldn't worry about it because Tesla does has inventory of RWD cars in popular options ready to be delivered. I would schedule delivery, look over the car and only take delivery if you're 99.9% satisfied. If you're not satisfied, they will simply find you another car that matches or build you another one.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Just got a call - they have my car (blue, LR, RWD, std wheels) available and would like to schedule delivery asap.
Should I be concerned that they've already got a car - clearly, it was pre-built and looking for an owner as opposed to built to order. Is this likely to be one that someone declined to accept delivery of?

Simply put, don't worry, be happy

Similar thing happened to me, but in red instead of blue.

Ordered late last week, the website said to expect 2-4 months and they called me on Monday and said it was ready for delivery! I was like, "There's no way they just made this car in a few days."

I noticed the VIN was in the 49,xxx area, which puts it on the very low end of VINs being delivered lately. At least according to the "VIN chart" sheet in the Model 3 Order Tracker Spreadsheet. I'm curious what your VIN is, acal.

At this point, I'm taking the advice of not worrying about anything, but I'll take a good look at the car when they deliver it to me.

It looks like they've been really focused on making and delivering AWDs and just have some RWDs in reserve to fill these orders. I expect they're seeing an uptick in demand on the least expensive versions available, as the prospect of that 2-4 months delivery time hits people with less than 4 months to go before losing the full tax credit.

• Informative
Reactions: ZachShahan
Similar thing happened to me, but in red instead of blue.

Ordered late last week, the website said to expect 2-4 months and they called me on Monday and said it was ready for delivery! I was like, "There's no way they just made this car in a few days."

I noticed the VIN was in the 49,xxx area, which puts it on the very low end of VINs being delivered lately. At least according to the "VIN chart" sheet in the Model 3 Order Tracker Spreadsheet. I'm curious what your VIN is, acal.

At this point, I'm taking the advice of not worrying about anything, but I'll take a good look at the car when they deliver it to me.

It looks like they've been really focused on making and delivering AWDs and just have some RWDs in reserve to fill these orders. I expect they're seeing an uptick in demand on the least expensive versions available, as the prospect of that 2-4 months delivery time hits people with less than 4 months to go before losing the full tax credit.

I took delivery of 490xx on August 25th. MSM RWD Aero EAP. The sticker says manufactured in 8/18. I ordered 8/7 and was assigned the car on 8/8. I don’t know if I believe it was built in August but who knows. As far as I can tell it’s overall pretty good quality wise. Not perfect but pretty good.

Same thing happened to us about a month ago. Had the same concerns you are having now. When we got the car, it was clear by the build date and early VIN that it was either someone's reject or reworked in some other way (e.g. failed inspection before it was even delivered to someone).

BUT the defects that we found were very minor and easily correctable, and far less severe than what plenty of people with "built-to-order" cars were getting. 2,500 miles later the car has been perfect and especially NO functional issues. Moral of the story - just look at the car you are presented on delivery and judge it on its own merits rather than on what you suspect you know about it.

• Informative
Reactions: bottomsup
I took delivery of 490xx on August 25th. MSM RWD Aero EAP. The sticker says manufactured in 8/18. I ordered 8/7 and was assigned the car on 8/8. I don’t know if I believe it was built in August but who knows. As far as I can tell it’s overall pretty good quality wise. Not perfect but pretty good.

Curious if you could expand on the imperfect comments since my VIN is going to be very close to yours. Thanks!

when you mass produce vehicles, you do not build them to order. every other car manufacturer pre-builds their cars

There are not that many combinations of options for model 3 so it makes sense tesla prebuilt a bunch of them during their ramp ups. Be happy you ordered and your car can be ready so soon.

Curious if you could expand on the imperfect comments since my VIN is going to be very close to yours. Thanks!

Some (probably 5) dust specks in the paint job. You really have to be lookin to notice them. I also have 1-2 fish eyes but I haven’t seen them again since I saw them the first time.

The interior seals on both passenger side door frames are slightly bulging. I don’t think this is significant but it doesn’t look high quality.

The door trim itself on the drivers side rear door is slightly raised in the center where the window track meets the trim. Also barely noticeable but I notice it.

Very small scratch (talking very small circle) on the top of the screen trim.

Just inspect, take delivery if it's good (you can ask them to fix minor issues on the spot), and be happy. Afterward, you'll be wondering why you waited so long before ordering, not mind sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and be looking for excuses to go out for a drive. ;)

Reactions: ChrisH