Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a new Tesla - trading in our Model 3, rocker panel dent - how much of a hit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are planning on trading in our 2020 Model 3 for a Y or an X in 2024. However the car has a dent on the right side rocker panel. The car is valued at about $28300 for a trade-in estimate…how much of a hit have people here usually seen on the final trade in estimate? Otherwise the car is in pretty good shape.

We are planning on trading in our 2020 Model 3 for a Y or an X in 2024. However the car has a dent on the right side rocker panel. The car is valued at about $28300 for a trade-in estimate…how much of a hit have people here usually seen on the final trade in estimate? Otherwise the car is in pretty good shape.
Which trim level do you have and how many miles on your M3? That is about the same as I was offered by Tesla for my 2023 M3 RWD with 7,500 miles in flawless condition. After driving my wife's new MY Long Range and feeling the difference in power and better sound system, I toyed with the idea of swapping my RWD for a M3 LR or Performance. After seeing the trade-in offer from Tesla, I thought better of it and will enjoy my ride as-is ...

As for your car, I think you may want to explore having the dent fixed locally at the most affordable place you can find. Based on the 2022 Prius Prime we just traded for my wife's MY, used car values have dropped dramatically since we last looked into it when I got my M3 6 months ago.

• Informative
Reactions: dakhlkt22
Upvote 0
You may find it worth it to sell the vehicle without repairing it. Repair to the rocker could go 7k+ easily, depending how bad it is. Then the hit to resale, which tesla only tesla can tell you.

I’d be asking for an estimate from a body shop, then weighing that against what tesla will likely value it at (minimum a few grand less than non wrecked) and dump it as it sits.

Upvote 0