Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering TM3 in other EU now possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
also interested if there are any news on the VAT return from Austria.
Considering buying from Germany and have to pay 24% VAT here in Greece.If i can get VAT back from Germany would be good or else this will be a very expensive Model 3.

On the Tesla Store info page for Wien-Tech Park Vienna you can find information for Sales Czech Republic & Slovakia (telephone number).

I’m from Croatia, but I would like to know if someone from Czech Republic or Slovakia called there for an Tesla M3 order and what is the order/invoicing/delivery procedure? Do you get an proper invoice without Austrian VAT or you get an Invoice from Czech Republik or Slovakia?

It is the same as for renatomik (Slovenia), so with Austrian VAT and then try to refund it.

There is also one possibility (at least in Slovakia), as we have the same VAT (20%) as in Austria. I could try to claim at Slovak Tax office that I have already paid the VAT in other country (not possible without VAT).
They are able to check it with Austrian Tax office and then confirm to me that I should not pay the VAT twice. It is not directly according to the EU law but one Slovak guy already did it with Model 3 from Germany in June. It took almost 1 month for him and during that time he was without registration plates...

Nice.
I am going to pick up my SR+ from Vienna in 2 weeks. I can see now some Invoice with VIN number 370xxx in my Tesla Account (also with Austrian 1800 eur grant) so I am curious what will be in final Invoice and If I should pay it with VAT or without. But I will try to argue regarding to the your case ;-)

WOW, is this binding for all Tesla stores in EU, as ruling?

please tell us about the procedure...
what did you do?

Nice.
I am going to pick up my SR+ from Vienna in 2 weeks. I can see now some Invoice with VIN number 370xxx in my Tesla Account (also with Austrian 1800 eur grant) so I am curious what will be in final Invoice and If I should pay it with VAT or without. But I will try to argue regarding to the your case ;-)

I had to pay the whole price, including Austrian VAT, a friend has just yesterday tried to buy it without VAT and it is not possible, I believe it will never be, unless you buy it directly from Tilburg (which is now possible for some countries, but is it much more expensive and has some other disadvantages - no SIM card, much later delivery).

First I imported, payed local 22% VAT, registered it, and only after this you can apply for VAT return (with evidence of payed VAT in your country and registration documents)!
Firstly I emailed Tesla, which refused to return VAT, than Austrian finance ministerium also refused, stating that Tesla must do it. I filed a complaint at the local European Consumer Center (including the refusing e-mail from Tesla), which again contacted Austrian ECC, and they contacted Tesla and explained them the rules. If they would not agree to return it, we would sue Tesla Österreich, because it HAS to be returned due to EU laws and regulations, which are binding to all EU members (as I was convinced from beginning)!

I will try to get some more answers from Tesla (they are supposed to contact me), but this is binding for all EU sales. If they refuse, write an email or call your local ECC, they exist exactly for this purpose, of assisting and ensuring fair and equal treatment of all EU members, regardless of country of residence.

Reactions: Peto02
I had to pay the whole price, including Austrian VAT, a friend has just yesterday tried to buy it without VAT and it is not possible, I believe it will never be, unless you buy it directly from Tilburg (which is now possible for some countries, but is it much more expensive and has some other disadvantages - no SIM card, much later delivery).

First I imported, payed local 22% VAT, registered it, and only after this you can apply for VAT return (with evidence of payed VAT in your country and registration documents)!
Firstly I emailed Tesla, which refused to return VAT, than Austrian finance ministerium also refused, stating that Tesla must do it. I filed a complaint at the local European Consumer Center (including the refusing e-mail from Tesla), which again contacted Austrian ECC, and they contacted Tesla and explained them the rules. If they would not agree to return it, we would sue Tesla Österreich, because it HAS to be returned due to EU laws and regulations, which are binding to all EU members (as I was convinced from beginning)!

I will try to get some more answers from Tesla (they are supposed to contact me), but this is binding for all EU sales. If they refuse, write an email or call your local ECC, they exist exactly for this purpose, of assisting and ensuring fair and equal treatment of all EU members, regardless of country of residence.

Do you have any official ECC document/statement to share, so that we can approach Tesla with it without having to do individual ECC claims? Thanks a lot for all the effort buddy!

Do you have any official ECC document/statement to share, so that we can approach Tesla with it without having to do individual ECC claims? Thanks a lot for all the effort buddy!

I don't have anything like that, but I did get an email from Tesla Graz store manager, that they have also got this update a few days ago. And the store manager (independently) also contacted one other friend from Slovenia, who is picking up his car next week, with the same information.

So I suggest to get in contact with the shop where you ordered it, or the store manager or anyone, with an inquiry about the return of VAT (at least store managers in Austria should all have this instructions now). I hope that Germany (and Italy, etc.) will get the same instructions soon, maybe they already did.

And again a friendly reminder to use my referral link in signature ;)

So I wrote to Tesla store Berlin with question regarding your case, basically threatening them that I want to buy Model 3 there (which they have to sell to me), that I will claim the VAT back (and that it is Teslas duty, not Finanzamt), and that there is a ruling from Austria (applicable to all EU) that upon customers proving they registered/paid VAT back home, that they have to return the VAT back immediately upon request. I gave them a hint to contact Tesla Graz regarding this matter, if there is anything unclear and that I would like to avoid ECC escalation at best. Of course, if they would invoice excl. VAT this would be the best, but I guess we want too much at this point haha. And yes, will use your referal code once I order the car :)

So I wrote to Tesla store Berlin with question regarding your case, basically threatening them that I want to buy Model 3 there (which they have to sell to me), that I will claim the VAT back (and that it is Teslas duty, not Finanzamt), and that there is a ruling from Austria (applicable to all EU) that upon customers proving they registered/paid VAT back home, that they have to return the VAT back immediately upon request. I gave them a hint to contact Tesla Graz regarding this matter, if there is anything unclear and that I would like to avoid ECC escalation at best. Of course, if they would invoice excl. VAT this would be the best, but I guess we want too much at this point haha. And yes, will use your referal code once I order the car :)

Hi Lukas99, Did you got some answer from Tesla Berlin?
Tesla Munich told me today: "No Invoice without VAT, no VAT return from Tesla".

Hi Lukas99, Did you got some answer from Tesla Berlin?
Tesla Munich told me today: "No Invoice without VAT, no VAT return from Tesla".

Not yet, the guy I was talking to was on vacation and came back Monday, as per the automated email reply... :). Net net from the experiences shared above, Tesla will sell you the car, incl VAT. You pay VAT back in your home country and ask Tesla for a refund upon sending them your registration docs and VAT payment confirmation. Likely, they will refuse to pay (but in Austria they should by now) and if you complain to the EU customer commission or whatever it is called, they WILL make Tesla to refund you the VAT back. Unfortunately this is the process, because I guess if they just followed the ruling, they would see an avelanche of orders from Other EU...