Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Origin of the name "Highland"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked at the service centre why it was called Highland and she said "We don't use that name, it was made up by you forum dwelling nerds"
I'm paraphrasing 😝

My guess is it just needed a codename, Tesla are very secretive about their production, but that codename doesn't become the public name upon release. That's why we have drips of it in the docs but not on the front facing manuals etc.

They are internal code names, Tesla or any other company doesn't usually refer to internal code names in official literature.
When, on a recent visit to a SC, I exclaimed " Oh! The Highland". To this, the Tesla chap replied " We are instructed not use that term". Reminded me of IBM's attitude towards its AS400 "Silver Lake" code name.
All the EV based Youtube channels use the code names for simplicity during the speculation build up which, in Tesla's case, is too tooo toooo long!

I love when people start threads for things they could google and find in 30 seconds

And if other sources of research were used for all and every Tesla related question rather than relying on the combined knowledge of TMC members, it would be a pretty thin forum.

So let's pony up fraternal support rather that sit on high horses.

Posted this earlier in the thread but new-guy/no-linky. Reuters article Feb. 2023:
The revamped model will also be assembled at its plant in Fremont, California. Building permits filed with the city of Fremont concerning changes to its factory have referenced "Highland" since last June.[2022]
If you really want to get closer to the origin of Highland, it looks like you'll have to comb through Fremont building permits from June 2022. It sure seems reasonable to me to just call it the 2024 Model 3 from now on especially when naming it to people who pay less attention to Tesla.

Posted this earlier in the thread but new-guy/no-linky. Reuters article Feb. 2023:

If you really want to get closer to the origin of Highland, it looks like you'll have to comb through Fremont building permits from June 2022. It sure seems reasonable to me to just call it the 2024 Model 3 from now on especially when naming it to people who pay less attention to Tesla.
I just say "The more sinister/suspicious looking one"

You guys are way off. It was originally "high land."

1000000763.jpg

And if other sources of research were used for all and every Tesla related question rather than relying on the combined knowledge of TMC members, it would be a pretty thin forum.

So let's pony up fraternal support rather that sit on high horses.
Nah, there would be plenty of good convos to be had still. No need to support crowdsourcing a bunch of inaccurate info in the name of brotherhood.