Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Blogs about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrTaras

R254->R725->S->X->M3->M3P-->R2020?
Dec 2, 2007
Woodland Hills, CA
Stumbled upon this thread about Tesla:
Video link showing why you shouldn't buy or lease a Tesla. - Luxury4Play.com

It was more about the Roadster than about the lease program so I chimed in. Figured I'd let you guys know about it if you had anything else to add.

Also, when others find blogs they may need "help" in, they can post them here so others can come take a looksie! :wink:

I read that post and the response from 'Pretender'... Is he/she.... 5?

You have to laugh really; I could see some of the forum mods trying desperately to wrestle to topic back to some level of respectability but, I'm guessing it's just a kid having some fun; worrying if not. If I were their forum mod I think I'd snip it as it brings their forum down.

Stumbled upon this thread about Tesla:
Video link showing why you shouldn't buy or lease a Tesla. - Luxury4Play.com

It was more about the Roadster than about the lease program so I chimed in. Figured I'd let you guys know about it if you had anything else to add.

Also, when others find blogs they may need "help" in, they can post them here so others can come take a looksie! :wink:

Edit: annoyingly the forum converts all the links to titles, so it is going to be hard to directly copy and paste.
You can post these facts to shut him up about the EV on coal thing:

First of all, coal makes up slightly less than 50% of electricity generation, so it is not like our grid is 100% coal.

2003 RAV4 EV gets 27kWh/100miles city and 34kWh/100miles hwy.
Model 1 Vehicle Characteristics

You can find the average emissions of the US grid to be 1.329lbsCO2/kWh here (by putting in your zipcode you can also find your local emissions):
How clean is the electricity I use? - Power Profiler | Clean Energy | US EPA

A little bit of math: 34kWh/100miles * 1.329lbs CO2/kWh * 1/(90% grid efficiency) (actually a bit better than that, wikipedia says losses were 7.2% in 1995) = .502 lbs CO2/mile
With 19.4 lbs CO2/gal of gas, that's equivalent to a gasoline car with 48.7/38.6 mpg city/hwy
On the California grid, with 0.724lbs CO2/kWh it is 89.4/70.9 city/hwy

In the same pre-2008 EPA ratings, the 2003 gasoline RAV4 got 25/31 city/hwy
Compare Old and New MPG Estimates

A brand new 2010 Ford Escape hybrid gets 34/31 city/hwy
Error Page

The coal argument for EVs is completely bunk.

Last edited:
During the late 1990s ... the second wave of practical EVs ... the LADOT, LA MetroLink, SCAQMD (SouthCoast AQMD), and LADWP put their endorsement on this sign at the location of a couple of charging stations at a SanFernando Metro Link station ...

Attachments

• P693.jpg
    P693.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 100
StopCrazyPP: I set up this calculator, let me know your thoughts... EV calculator
I didn't know about that calculator. I will keep it in my bookmarks.

Your calculator is using the GREET model, which is more up to date than the eGRID data I am using. The CO2 numbers you are using for the US grid average already factor in emissions from well to plant. The eGRID numbers do not factor this in. I see that you have factored in the well to pump emissions in your gasoline conversion factor (19.4lbs per gal / 80% = 24.251 which you are using). In general, I think it is a good calculator.

It doesn't seem to work on Firefox for me though (works fine in internet explorer). I think in your javascript file, for all the elements you refer to, you have to use document.getElementById, rather than just directly the id of that element.

Off topic a bit.

"annoyingly the forum converts all the links to titles"

Personally I think this is a great feature. Gives the forum less clutter.
I like it this way too for typical usage, but in this specific case it makes it hard to copy and paste.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Artful Dodger
"...the forum converts all the links to titles..."

It does when you first post something, but then if you go and edit it later it doesn't convert. So you could post something without links first, then edit it and add the links later.

I didn't know about that calculator. I will keep it in my bookmarks.

Your calculator is using the GREET model, which is more up to date than the eGRID data I am using. The CO2 numbers you are using for the US grid average already factor in emissions from well to plant. The eGRID numbers do not factor this in. I see that you have factored in the well to pump emissions in your gasoline conversion factor (19.4lbs per gal / 80% = 24.251 which you are using). In general, I think it is a good calculator.

It doesn't seem to work on Firefox for me though (works fine in internet explorer). I think in your javascript file, for all the elements you refer to, you have to use document.getElementById, rather than just directly the id of that element.

I like it this way too for typical usage, but in this specific case it makes it hard to copy and paste.

Are you aware that your #9 post in this thread was also #42069 here on TMC? Hahaha, unbelievable! :D

teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/42069/

Cheers!