Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other ev manufacturer oem tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 20” Pirelli Mercedes AMG oem PZ4 went on today. Elect badge and foam inside!

Let’s see how they do!

Attachments

• 8E2AA5C5-210F-4292-A4F5-9DCC7F6D1AFF.jpeg
    8E2AA5C5-210F-4292-A4F5-9DCC7F6D1AFF.jpeg
    761.9 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Rgr that. The Mac tires have noise cancelling but apparently are not elect. Will have to decide soon for myself.
Here’s the European sticker (this is the rears, front is identical) for these tires. Only time will tell if they are the really the lowest rolling resistance :) so far grip and handling is quite good!

Attachments

• 384AF740-ABE1-43A6-A578-3FD1097A9208.jpeg
    384AF740-ABE1-43A6-A578-3FD1097A9208.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 57
Not new sizes. Same size, same brand, same model and they're built differently.
By far the biggest “difference” in OEM tires for mass-produced cars is when a manufacturer comes and says “hey can you make this tire for me with 20% less tread depth for 20% less money?”

That’s the difference in your examples upthread. It’s why one tire is lighter - you’re literally buying less usable rubber.

Plus maybe some other window dressing junk like interior foam. Suggesting the same tires with different OEM specs are dramatically different from a performance or construction perspective is nonsense.

It’s 90+% corner-cutting cost savings.

By far the biggest “difference” in OEM tires for mass-produced cars is when a manufacturer comes and says “hey can you make this tire for me with 20% less tread depth for 20% less money?”

That’s the difference in your examples upthread. It’s why one tire is lighter - you’re literally buying less usable rubber.

Plus maybe some other window dressing junk like interior foam. Suggesting the same tires with different OEM specs are dramatically different from a performance or construction perspective is nonsense.

Yes, that's the same thing companies like Ferrari and McLaren do for their oem spec tire. They say "hey, can you reduce the quality and cost of these $400 tires? We don't need anything but budget tires on our $400,000 cars".

This video shows the differences of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S regular edition vs the one specifically modified for the BMW M3/4. Real world handling differences and the actual specific differences are discussed.

By far the biggest “difference” in OEM tires for mass-produced cars

Yes, that's the same thing companies like Ferrari and McLaren do for their oem spec tire.
If you think Tesla is more similar to McLaren than Kia on the spectrum of “things OEMs want from tire manufacturers” please send me a DM as I’ve got some amazing beachfront property in Arizona that I think we should be discussing. 👍🏻

If you think Tesla is more similar to McLaren than Kia on the spectrum of “things OEMs want from tire manufacturers” please send me a DM as I’ve got some amazing beachfront property in Arizona that I think we should be discussing. 👍🏻
Lake Havasu has some amazing beachfront property in AZ. Are you asking for inflated, or realistic pricing? We go there a few times a year.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
I think they specifically had to accommodate 1050 ft-lbs of torque that immediately occurs at 1 rpm. So that is immensely closer to exotic cars than KIAs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam1
I think they specifically had to accommodate 1050 ft-lbs of torque that immediately occurs at 1 rpm. So that is immensely closer to exotic cars than KIAs.
Simple screenshot from the video shows the compound variations alone are significantly different. Not sure why he debating the topic.

* Also making a note that BMW is closer to Kia than to McLaren

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 9.21.05 AM.png

I like this set-up. Please do a more in-depth review on efficiency and noise. Pretty sure performance will be spot on.
Noise (lack thereof) is good! Much much quieter than the non foam Michelins I had

Efficiency I’ll measure properly after a few hundred miles or so - I’m already seeing signs that it’s about 20wh/mile less than the Michelin PSAS 4 I had on my other 20” set

Noise (lack thereof) is good! Much much quieter than the non foam Michelins I had

Efficiency I’ll measure properly after a few hundred miles or so - I’m already seeing signs that it’s about 20wh/mile less than the Michelin PSAS 4 I had on my other 20” set
with a plaid do you actually pay attention to the Wh/mi thing though? Because a single 4 second romp negates 2 hours of driving like a normal person.

with a plaid do you actually pay attention to the Wh/mi thing though? Because a single 4 second romp negates 2 hours of driving like a normal person.
Well yes! I have romp days and I have normal days , and the two shall never meet!

Efficiency is becoming an issue when I do trips. Superchargers are filling up and getting 30 miles more on a trip charge is more than welcome. If this merc tire is the panacea I want it to be - killer handling and frugal sipper, then I’ll be quite happy.

If it isn’t, I’ll burn off these tires this summer and try something else next summer

Reactions: Hayseed_MS and Sam1