Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ottawa Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 311077 Inaugural meeting of Ottawa Tesla owners showing off their beautiful Model 3s. Thanks to everyone who came. It was a lot of fun meeting everyone and exchanging useful information. Video to follow if I can get it uploaded.

Thanks @Rik59 for organizing the get-together and the beautiful pic. It was wonderful to see the excitement and interest in our neck of the woods. I look forward to the next one. Perhaps there are some Kanata people who would like one closer to their end of town?

Reactions: KAN_03
Thanks @Rik59 for organizing the get-together and the beautiful pic. It was wonderful to see the excitement and interest in our neck of the woods. I look forward to the next one. Perhaps there are some Kanata people who would like one closer to their end of town?
It was a pretty good turnout. Ill be definitely be at the next one. @Rik59 was most welcoming when I arrived. Learned a lot about the Model3 from a lot of friendly owners.

Can someone living in the Kanata area check out the northeast corner of the Hazeldean Mall? It’s bordered by Hazeldean Road and Eagleson Road. Please go after 6:30 p.m. so we can determine how busy it is for a meet-and-greet.

It's just my wording - I meant my service is 100 amp. The breaker for the charger is 50 amp.
Now that makes sense, which means that your charging at 32A max. which is the rated current for the UMC cable and a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That was my original intent but I have a 200A service so I went with 60A breaker/48A rated HPWC. When you go 60A or more, you require a safety switch (where as below 60A you can use a NEMA 14-50 outlet as the disconnect).
IMG_1639.JPG

I installed Tesla Wall charger on a NEMA 14-50 outlet for 40A charging. The DIP switch is set to 40A and car recognizes it and doesn't allow me to get it higher.

Good enough and didn't feel was worth extra expense for 48A charging (which would need 60A breaker)

Now that makes sense, which means that your charging at 32A max. which is the rated current for the UMC cable and a NEMA 14-50 outlet. That was my original intent but I have a 200A service so I went with 60A breaker/48A rated HPWC. When you go 60A or more, you require a safety switch (where as below 60A you can use a NEMA 14-50 outlet as the disconnect).
View attachment 311234

Correction to what I said - breaker is 40A (not 50A) and yes, I'm therefore charging at 32A. I was a little worried that might be slow but it seems to work great with my usage - I charge at night on cheaper rates and have plenty of range for even my busiest days. Typically it's charging 3-5 hours at around 47km/hr. I guess winter might be slightly different but all seems to be working out really well.

I just wanted to give an update on my situation that I posted about previously in this thread (Ottawa Model 3). Hopefully this is informative for other Ottawa owners on what to expect if you do have a serious issue with your car and the current experience with Tesla Montreal.

I think everyone has different tolerances/opinions for customer service with this type of thing, so I will just give a factual timeline of what has happened so far:
- June 9, picked up the car from International Centre in Toronto. Drove back to Ottawa the following day, no issues.
- June 16, while driving car starts showing errors and braking issue as I described in my post. Car has approx. 700km on it at this point.
- June 17 morning car is back to normal, but problems reoccur again in the afternoon. Tow truck dispatched from Tesla Roadside Assistance comes to get the car.
- June 18, car arrives at Tesla Montreal around 7am. I call them later in the morning and am informed they are looking at it. I call them again at the end of the day. They don't know what's wrong, still looking into it. I had left them notes on issues found at delivery (scratched steering wheel, tear in speaker grill fabric), and they are going to order parts for that as well.
- June 19, was told I'd hear back by 5pm but haven't so I call them at end of day to get an update (took 3 times to get through). Am told they think it's wiring, and still working on it.
- June 20, get a call from them near end of day. They think they have it fixed but the tech needs to take it for overnight testing (I'm assuming bring it home). Around 80km will be put on the car. The Tesla app is disabled for me until the following morning. I assume for privacy of the tech that has the car.
- June 21 (today), just called them again near end of day. I couldn't get a hold of the service advisor that is dealing with my car so they didn't provide me any information other than it's still being worked in.

I just wanted to give an update on my situation that I posted about previously in this thread (Ottawa Model 3). Hopefully this is informative for other Ottawa owners on what to expect if you do have a serious issue with your car and the current experience with Tesla Montreal.

I think everyone has different tolerances/opinions for customer service with this type of thing, so I will just give a factual timeline of what has happened so far:
- June 9, picked up the car from International Centre in Toronto. Drove back to Ottawa the following day, no issues.
- June 16, while driving car starts showing errors and braking issue as I described in my post. Car has approx. 700km on it at this point.
- June 17 morning car is back to normal, but problems reoccur again in the afternoon. Tow truck dispatched from Tesla Roadside Assistance comes to get the car.
- June 18, car arrives at Tesla Montreal around 7am. I call them later in the morning and am informed they are looking at it. I call them again at the end of the day. They don't know what's wrong, still looking into it. I had left them notes on issues found at delivery (scratched steering wheel, tear in speaker grill fabric), and they are going to order parts for that as well.
- June 19, was told I'd hear back by 5pm but haven't so I call them at end of day to get an update (took 3 times to get through). Am told they think it's wiring, and still working on it.
- June 20, get a call from them near end of day. They think they have it fixed but the tech needs to take it for overnight testing (I'm assuming bring it home). Around 80km will be put on the car. The Tesla app is disabled for me until the following morning. I assume for privacy of the tech that has the car.
- June 21 (today), just called them again near end of day. I couldn't get a hold of the service advisor that is dealing with my car so they didn't provide me any information other than it's still being worked in.

I hope it gets sorted out quickly and effectively for you soon! I remember reading about a story a couple of years back that happened in Europe where they had to fly in an engineer from Fremont in order to diagnose an error which ended up being a faulty cabling harness after 3 months of testing.

Likely they've learned from those mistakes... hopefully!

I hope it gets sorted out quickly and effectively for you soon! I remember reading about a story a couple of years back that happened in Europe where they had to fly in an engineer from Fremont in order to diagnose an error which ended up being a faulty cabling harness after 3 months of testing.

Likely they've learned from those mistakes... hopefully!

Thanks, me too! More updates and information from the service centre would be nice, but I know they are working on it and honestly they are probably pretty swamped over there. Not an ideal situation but not a lot I can do but wait. I haven't pressed them for a loaner yet, they unfortunately did not offer. But I will ask if this starts dragging on.

Richyrich:
Model 3 maximum is 32amps
You only need a 40amp breaker (always use 80% rated capacity) charges at a rate of around 50km/hr which is more than plenty

Are you sure? That might be my maximum on a 40A breaker but I'm pretty sure the 3 can go higher - see the table at this URL (scroll down) - Home Charging Installation. Looks like no increase in kms added per hour beyond 60A/48A but it does seem you can go higher than my 40/32?

EDIT: OK, I see where the confusion is - further down that page it shows that 32A is the max for the short range, 48A for long range like mine. Regular readers are probably rolling their eyes but I'm still learning! :)

Are you sure? That might be my maximum on a 40A breaker but I'm pretty sure the 3 can go higher - see the table at this URL (scroll down) - Home Charging Installation. Looks like no increase in kms added per hour beyond 60A/48A but it does seem you can go higher than my 40/32?

EDIT: OK, I see where the confusion is - further down that page it shows that 32A is the max for the short range, 48A for long range like mine. Regular readers are probably rolling their eyes but I'm still learning! :)

All new Model 3 maximum is 32amp, they did have 40amp for LR in early production but cables and adapters were melting, so everything is now 32amp across the board

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
You have a Wall Charger, right? , the onboard charger is only 32amp

By the way 32amp 240v is plenty fast, no need for more
I have a Tesla HP wall connector, yes. Note that it is not a technically charger, or a charge controller.

For clarity, let me explain it in more detail.

The charger (inverter and battery charge controller) is in the car (it's part of the battery module in the model 3). The wall connector and mobile connectors are nothing more than fancy cables with some digital control circuitry. They both pass the AC directly to the car and the car converts to DC and controls the charging.

For AC charging, on the LR charge controller has a maximum power input of 240V at 48A. The SR has a maximum of 32A. For DC, it's higher current (and I'm not sure of the numbers) and likely a different voltage also.

I cannot support or contradict the claim that they might have changed this in newer cars, only that in my new car it isn't the case.

The mobile connector is limited to 32A due to it's cable size, etc. This 32A limit is not related to the on-board charger in the vehicle.

32A is fine most uses - not debating that, only the accuracy of the information about the charger capability, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: madmax240
Not sure if this is helpful but many of us went through this same discussion on our Model S's a few years ago.

It appears that at that time, Tesla changed the end of the 14-50 adapter for Ontario to specifically limit it to 32A instead of a previous Ontario version that allowed 40A on a 50A circuit. I kept my old adapter and can still charge at 40A and I know others that have purchased the adapter outside Ontario (e.g. other provinces or states) and can also charge at 40A.

This past thread covered the change and the experimentation many of us did to find out what Tesla had actually changed (in typical Tesla fashion - they didn't tell us the details). The cause was something to do with CSA or UL approval - I can't remember which.

New UMC?

The change is because Ontario apparently allows 40A circuits to have a NEMA 14-50 plug. So you might be plugging into a 40A circuit, and should only draw 32A.

(I’ve got one of the old 40A mobile connectors in my frunk, in case I need it.)

The change is because Ontario apparently allows 40A circuits to have a NEMA 14-50 plug. So you might be plugging into a 40A circuit, and should only draw 32A.

(I’ve got one of the old 40A mobile connectors in my frunk, in case I need it.)
Okay, so we are talking about the 14-50 mobile adapter is limited to 32A...not the charger in the car.

Hence I get the confusion...

Yeah, I have at least one, possibly two, 14-50 socket(s) in the house with 30A and 40A breakers (dryer and stove respectively).

Electrically that doesn't matter (so long as the breaker limits the maximum for the circuit correctly - i.e. so the wires won't melt), but it's not good practice as it encourages larger than available current draw. But it's not a safety issue.

I believe it's not restricted in the Canadian code in general, not just Ontario (I don't recall seeing it on my last reading, but arguably I wasn't looking for such).