Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ottawa Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone had to take their car to the SC at montreal from Ottawa and had to get a loaner. What loaner did you guys get? how long was the car there for? did you have to pay for gas even though its a long trip montreal and Ottawa? and why did you get your car serviced? I am scheduled Mon Aug 3 to get my M3 serviced for buzzing noise, scratches at the trunk lips, trunk flooring is wrinkled, front carpet mat double sided tape not useable, taillight condensation and wind noise.. They said they need to take it to the body shop and could be there for the entire week..

For Model 3 owners we have an Ottawa based Tesla owners club that meets once or twice a year. We missed the spring get together as I was swamped with our house renovation.

Hopefully we will have a get together the last week of August to very early in sept as I am off again on Sept 05.

Interested Model 3 owners let me know and I will add you to the Ottawa list that I have created.

Looking for windshield and windows tinting to reduce heat and have a nice look. Any recommendations in Ottawa? I read a lot about going with a one piece rear windshield film and have seems videos of installation on the inside AND outside, what do you think? Definitely looking for a place that is familiar and have a lot of experience with a model 3.

Reactions: Liquidmetal101
Hi, I was planning to go to the "Race the Runway" but due to work will be unable to attend. I was going to buy the Display Car Pass ($20 covers everyone in car) to show off my Model 3. If anyone is interested, here's some details with a link. Note that you got until August 10th to pickup your passes (note that only 2 driver slots were available as of this post).
Race the Runway - Canada's Fastest, Most Extreme Car Event!

Spectator ride-alongs are back for Race the Runway's 7th Year!

Over 100 exotics, super-exotics, muscle cars and customs running radar clocked top speed runs down the runway while over 100 more cars are on static display. Spectator runway ride-alongs in a variety of exotics and hypercars.

A dream event for car enthusiasts with all proceeds going to charity.
Race the Runway 2018

Looking for windshield and windows tinting to reduce heat and have a nice look. Any recommendations in Ottawa? I read a lot about going with a one piece rear windshield film and have seems videos of installation on the inside AND outside, what do you think? Definitely looking for a place that is familiar and have a lot of experience with a model 3.
I had my 3 tinted at Derand Auto due to price, location and the fact the have worked on quite a few Model 3s. They did a good job, happy with their work. They do a one-piece for the large rear window and I would get the whole rear window tinted (not the sunroof above the driver). I've seen some Model 3s with the half tint and it just looks off from the intside. I spent a little more and went with ceramic tints instead of the regular just to get the added heat protection. Ive never seen tint be applied on the exterior. Installers usually apply the tint on the exterior in order to make measuring and cutting easier then peel it off to install on the interior. There are a number of auto tinting places in Ottawa, look around and get some quotes.

Looks like ill need to have one of my DRLs changed...wont light up. Ive read that this is a common problem with the 3. Anyone have any issues with this? Could it be something the Ottawa Ranger could fix?

I recently got my car serviced and any parts that needs replacement can be done by the ranger. Anything related to body shop requires a drive in to Montreal

Would anyone be interested in buying 15mm or 20mm spacers made specifically for Tesla Model 3? They are hub centric and wheel centric by BloxSports 6061-T6 Forged Aluminum so they are quite high quality spacers. I bought wrong ones as they do not provide enough clearance for my new rims..

I had my 3 tinted at Derand Auto due to price, location and the fact the have worked on quite a few Model 3s. They did a good job, happy with their work. They do a one-piece for the large rear window and I would get the whole rear window tinted (not the sunroof above the driver). I've seen some Model 3s with the half tint and it just looks off from the intside. I spent a little more and went with ceramic tints instead of the regular just to get the added heat protection. Ive never seen tint be applied on the exterior. Installers usually apply the tint on the exterior in order to make measuring and cutting easier then peel it off to install on the interior. There are a number of auto tinting places in Ottawa, look around and get some quotes.

Hi Liquid, you are one of the lucky few that got the tint for the rear windshield done in one piece. I talked to Derand, they will only do 2 pieces going forward.

• Informative
I have heard from my detailer that the top rear glass may crack if tinted, is it true? He said he would require me to sign a waiver saying he is not liable if it does crack. He would offer to install the tint on the nontinted part of the rear glass however

I have heard from my detailer that the top rear glass may crack if tinted, is it true? He said he would require me to sign a waiver saying he is not liable if it does crack. He would offer to install the tint on the nontinted part of the rear glass however

That doesn't make sense. The top portion already has UV/IR filtering on it so what could the tint possibly do to cause it to crack? If the glass was that fragile you would think heavy rain or light hail would also crack it... Sounds like he just doesn't want to tint it in 1 piece.

That doesn't make sense. The top portion already has UV/IR filtering on it so what could the tint possibly do to cause it to crack? If the glass was that fragile you would think heavy rain or light hail would also crack it... Sounds like he just doesn't want to tint it in 1 piece.
If a tint film is applied inside the window, the thermal buildup can cause glass to crack. Tint film blocks light, but also collects heat because of it coloration.

If a tint film is applied inside the window, the thermal buildup can cause glass to crack. Tint film blocks light, but also collects heat because of it coloration.

Right, but that was exactly my point....the model 3 roof above the passengers and drivers already has a UV/IR block applied to it, so I highly doubt significant amounts of IR light would be reaching the tint, and certainly not enough to put enough thermal strain on the glass to cause it to crack. If that were the case, then how could a half window tint (on the back portion only) possibly survive since it has no IR blocking on that portion of the roof, it would be heating up even more.

Plus the thermal energy required to crack glass like that would also be a significant burn hazard (even if it was possible, which it isnt in my opinion)....at the end of the day, if the installer doesn't want to do the job they will make up any excuse, which is what is happening here. But the physics of it aren't possible as it was described above....at least I'm 99% sure of this.

Right, but that was exactly my point....the model 3 roof above the passengers and drivers already has a UV/IR block applied to it, so I highly doubt significant amounts of IR light would be reaching the tint, and certainly not enough to put enough thermal strain on the glass to cause it to crack. If that were the case, then how could a half window tint (on the back portion only) possibly survive since it has no IR blocking on that portion of the roof, it would be heating up even more.

Plus the thermal energy required to crack glass like that would also be a significant burn hazard (even if it was possible, which it isnt in my opinion)....at the end of the day, if the installer doesn't want to do the job they will make up any excuse, which is what is happening here. But the physics of it aren't possible as it was described above....at least I'm 99% sure of this.
That tinting isn’t applied to the inside, as far as I’m aware.