Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our first Everett to Salem trip...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well just completed out first Everett to Salem trip in our Model S. I would describe it in one word, uneventful...

Left Everett with a Range Charge, arrived at Washington Square Mall with 34 miles left. Drove exactly 60 MPH the entire way, heater on ECO and 70 degrees.

Charged up on their HPWC, 204 Volts 72 amps for around 90 minutes, left with 100 miles. 55 miles to Mom's house arrived with around 50 miles left.

Installed our HPWC at Mom's house in Salem giving us a perfect pivot point for all our relatives who live in Salem, Eugene and Creswell. We ended up going back and forth to Lowe's a couple times to get all the right hole saws, wire, breakers etc on the charge I arrived with. The wire run was really short but man that 2 gauge wire is really stiff and unruly to deal with, MUCH more difficult than 6 gauge or 8 gauge my other 14-50s/EVSEs have.

Car was complaining that "your battery is getting cold, you should plug in when you get a chance" when we got there. It was around 45 degrees and raining the whole time, not surprising.

The power at my Mom's house is really hot, 245V, even pulling 80 amps only went down to 243V, that is a rocking 19,440 watts on the twins, awesome!

Range charged when we left, back to Washington Square Mall, took about an hour to fill back up on another Range Charge. I figured we had at least a 50 mile cushion so went ahead and drove 70 in the 70 and 60 in the 60. We for stopped for dinner and charged at Centralia on the West Coast Green Highway L2 companion EVSE and had dinner at Burgerville. We didn't need the charge, but #1 rule in EV road tripping, if your tires are not rolling, be charging. The companion L2s are 240 Volts 30 Amps resulting in 7,290 watts, around 22MPH of charging. We were there for about an hour, did some shopping at the outlet mall, gained 25 miles, left with 170 miles.

Got back home with 50 miles remaining, trip totals: 558 miles, 182 KWh, 25 Wh/mile.

When the adapter is ready at the Burgerville we will just charge there for around 90 minutes then go from there directly to Salem.

We have made this trip around 5 times in our Leaf stopping at each DCFC station along the way. The Model S cuts about 90 minutes to 2 hours of charge time off compared to the Leaf doing the same trip.

It was raining like crazy when we got onto the 405 in Tukwilla. Very dark, blowing mist, though the Renton S-Curves, I must say, the Model S is the best handing most confident feeling car in the dark, raining, curvy conditions like this. It simply inspires confidence that in any of my older cars would have scared the crap out of me. :biggrin:

Well just completed out first Everett to Salem trip in our Model S. I would describe it in one word, uneventful...

Left Everett with a Range Charge, arrived at Washington Square Mall with 34 miles left. Drove exactly 60 MPH the entire way, heater on ECO and 70 degrees.

Charged up on their HPWC, 204 Volts 72 amps for around 90 minutes, left with 100 miles. 55 miles to Mom's house arrived with around 50 miles left.

Installed our HPWC at Mom's house in Salem giving us a perfect pivot point for all our relatives who live in Salem, Eugene and Creswell.
Neat report, Froggy. Uber cool setting up a HPWC at your Mom's house.

Did you make prior arrangements at Washington Square? Or, just a cold stop. What do they have available?

Did you make prior arrangements at Washington Square? Or, just a cold stop. What do they have available?

As somebody who goes by the Washington Square store much too often for absolutely no reason at all, I've seen 2 charging stations at the Tesla parking area. Typically one side is occupied with the test drive car, and the other side is open. I've parked and charged on the open side (Roadster) without giving them any heads up. If I was counting on it, I would probably call ahead as I'm sure they'd move the test drive car over (there is probably space to park 4 or 5 cars in that area) if that was needed. (See how free I am with their resources! :))

Yep what adiggs said. The chocolate test-drive car was plugged into the HPWC on the way back however on the way down it was available. It was full so they came down to move it right away. The Tesla associate even brought down a customer with us and we shuffled the cars, showed plugging in and unplugging. Quality Tesla Time(tm), easily talked the guy into a test drive. There is a HPWC, 14-50 and a HPC there. Best to call ahead however if you just show up I would recommend showing up during business hours so if they are using the HPWC you can get someone to move the demo.