Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of state purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, newbie here, not sure if this has already been answered.

How does out of state purchase from existing inventory works? Looks like Tesla doesn't allow delivering it to your state as it clearly says that the car can only be registered in certain nearby states. I am fine going there and getting it but then would they provide temporary registration? I believe trade in will work as usual, anybody to confirm?

they have to collect taxes, until you provide them the state you are registering, they can' deduct taxes.
You can't just say I will be registering to so and so state, they will ask you to provide your ID and if your ID is not one of the states they says in the listing, I guess you are out of luck.

^^ This is my guess. maybe someone else can provide better answer.

Reactions: randy206
I picked up my car in Utah, and I live in Montana. Told them my situation, and sent them a copy of my DL. They added the Utah sales tax, but by the time I arrived a week later to pick it up - the taxes were deducted from the total. I did have to pay $8 for a tire disposal fee. They had a temp dmv window sticker placed in the back window, and I was off within 30 minutes. This btw was in the height of the covid19 pandemic. In about 3~4 weeks the application for title arrived by mail to my HOME address. I took all the paper work to my local courthouse, and they processed everything and I walked out with my plates. YMMV

Hi, newbie here, not sure if this has already been answered.

How does out of state purchase from existing inventory works? Looks like Tesla doesn't allow delivering it to your state as it clearly says that the car can only be registered in certain nearby states. I am fine going there and getting it but then would they provide temporary registration? I believe trade in will work as usual, anybody to confirm?
Registration varies by state:

Reactions: Cyclone
Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated! I've contacted a few out of state dealers, they're fine with selling me the car to me, as long as I take the local delivery and drive back to my state. If I place order through online inventory purchase, they told me that they will give $250 credit towards the new order, towards the original order I placed and in waiting. They also told me that if I call them when inventory is available, they will be able to map my existing order with that vehicle in the inventory but I think by the time I call them, someone might have already placed the order.

This is my first hand experience buying Tesla and I thought their customer service sucks, may be not at the time of buying the car 😄.

Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated! I've contacted a few out of state dealers, they're fine with selling me the car to me, as long as I take the local delivery and drive back to my state. If I place order through online inventory purchase, they told me that they will give $250 credit towards the new order, towards the original order I placed and in waiting. They also told me that if I call them when inventory is available, they will be able to map my existing order with that vehicle in the inventory but I think by the time I call them, someone might have already placed the order.

This is my first hand experience buying Tesla and I thought their customer service sucks, may be not at the time of buying the car 😄.
Good luck, and enjoy the journey!

Reactions: rrr_land
Thank you all for your responses, much appreciated! I've contacted a few out of state dealers, they're fine with selling me the car to me, as long as I take the local delivery and drive back to my state. If I place order through online inventory purchase, they told me t
Did you end up doing this? I've been trying to do this with Tesla but they keep saying it's too much of a tax and registration problem...I don't have sales tax in my state and registration can't be that complicated is it?

I'm too am wondering if anyone has had luck registering a new car in a state that Tesla's website doesn't say the car can be registered in. In post #3 it seems as though you had luck because Tesla allows purchases in UT to be registered in MT as standard according to the website where the registration zip code is entered. I'm currently in FL for the winter but am a resident of a state that doesn't have sales tax. I ordered a new vehicle that is in stock with FL delivery center and Tesla Advisor is saying that it can only be registered in FL, GA, or AL and that I would have to order a car in my state or a nearby state that allows registration in my state. It seems to me that this should be possible as other dealerships probably do this all the time. Do I just need to keep calling to find an advisor that is willing to go the extra mile or can they literally not do this?

I have ordered one from nearby state, for which my state was not in the "available to register" list. After ordering, I couldn't go past registration information step in the app, because I was putting my home address with the non-listed state. Then I texted this to the support number which sent me the order confirmation text. They contacted the local dealer at the delivery state, got an email asking for ID, address and a few other details. I believe they kicked off registration process manually with that information.

BTW, I canceled that order a day after, as I learnt that out of state delivery will make my purchase ineligible for 2k EV incentives offered by my state! I am back in line, shows me Feb 22 to Mar 29 😒.

I'm too am wondering if anyone has had luck registering a new car in a state that Tesla's website doesn't say the car can be registered in. In post #3 it seems as though you had luck because Tesla allows purchases in UT to be registered in MT as standard according to the website where the registration zip code is entered. I'm currently in FL for the winter but am a resident of a state that doesn't have sales tax. I ordered a new vehicle that is in stock with FL delivery center and Tesla Advisor is saying that it can only be registered in FL, GA, or AL and that I would have to order a car in my state or a nearby state that allows registration in my state. It seems to me that this should be possible as other dealerships probably do this all the time. Do I just need to keep calling to find an advisor that is willing to go the extra mile or can they literally not do this?
I would be careful about assuming an advisor is going to make sure it works. I've been trying to do this and my advisor told me it would be no prob to pick it up out of my range...but after I put in the order she quit returning my calls/messages and it's been a big ordeal ever since, talking to literally prob 20 different people, hours on hold, with it going back and forth over whether they will do it. Still not sure if it's going to work, currently the car is going to out of state location but the app won't allow me to finish registration, no straight answers, worried I'll fly out and arrive and it still won't be figured out and I'll have to fly back empty handed. Really kinda surprising and kinda not, I have low expectations for the car industry in general but this is pretty bad considering I'm still paying the same shipping cost even though it would save them 1200 mi or so AND they charge over $500 for registration!

I am in similar boat; 1) ordered custom in TN on 2-20-23, no vin yet, estimated deliver apr-June 2) order next in OH today from existing inventory, vin issued but it’s not preferred location and configuration 3) order 3rd one in TX, couple of hours later. Have been trying to get hold off of SA to merge the orders and enable registration on #3, as app is not allowing it. They already restricted #2, as I told on chat that I am interested in #3. Just screwed altogether, not sure, how to come out if it. Please suggest, thanks.

Sorry to hear about your struggles. Were you able to get some thing worked out? Folks were able to buy out of state and getting shipped to their local delivery center.
Not sure why they changed it and how it helps Tesla or us the consumer. I also want to buy from a not preferred state but holding on due to no clear answers from my SA.

They might reassign a different car that you can register in FL, if you don't accept they might cancel your order and you will loose your deposit.
Thanks for the information. After reading some posts that's what I'm expecting if I can ever talk to someone at Tesla. They called back but I couldn't answer when they did. Do you have any suggestions on what Tesla phone number I can call. I would be willing to pay for shipping if they will do that

They might reassign a different car that you can register in FL, if you don't accept they might cancel your order and you will loose your deposit.
I also have a home in North Carolina but it is not my primary residence. I can put that address in the registration information and it looks like I can proceed to registration. But I'm not going to register in NC. I'm want to register in Florida, my primary residence