Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of town during delivery window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some travel coming up and I’m concerned I’ll be out of town when my delivery window is offered.

What happens in this case? If I’m unavailable for the 3 day window, will they give my car to someone else? Do I go to the back of the line or could I expect a shorter wait for round two?

I have some travel coming up and I’m concerned I’ll be out of town when my delivery window is offered.

What happens in this case? If I’m unavailable for the 3 day window, will they give my car to someone else? Do I go to the back of the line or could I expect a shorter wait for round two?
Did you speak to your delivery/sales rep? I assume they’ll accommodate if you ask for a reasonable delay.

Reactions: Reborn
My MY was scheduled to get delivered 9/1 and get picked up 9/5 because I was out of town for work. No issue from Tesla. Then it got delivered early and automatically scheduled pick up for on 8/30. Told them I could pick up 9/2 because my trip changed and I was getting back early. Then they said they can't hold it for that long and that I'd be unmatched from my car and something else about not being able to hold it from one month to the next. Back to the end of the line now. Moral of the story is don't be out of town when months change over.

Tesla: “What are you saying that you have a “job” with “responsibilities” and a “schedule”? Just who the hell do you think you are? Can’t you simply tell your boss or customers or whomever might think it concerns them that YOU have a date... with the future, with your destiny, with...a MY!

Lol. I hope they don’t treat everyone like this... my delivery location is 5 hours away and I have a fairly busy work schedule. They shouldn’t schedule delivery until the vehicle is onsite, and then provide a 2 week window to pickup.

I had the same thing happen to me. Was sent a message on Saturday to pick my delivery appointment. I was not going to be available on the dates given and could not reach anyone on phone. By Sunday, I had received another (almost threatening) message to select a window or else the time slot will be automatically assigned. I got assigned to an even earlier date which I wouldn't have been able to make. Now the VIN is unassigned and will be again unpredictable.

Got a 2-4 weeks out text from Tesla. Replied asking if they would hold if it became available while while I was out of town, got the following reply: "Vehicles can be held a maximum of 3 days. If you are not available when a vin is assigned you will be reassigned a new one once you are available."

This happened to me this past weekend... went on vacay Thursday. Got the call on Friday and was super excited, but they couldn’t hold the car past 3 days! I would of picked up the car on Monday and that would of been the 4th day. If I would of known a bit sooner, I would of definitely made travel arrangements to accommodate the Sunday pick up! Now I have to wait another 2-4 weeks...

This happened to me this past weekend... went on vacay Thursday. Got the call on Friday and was super excited, but they couldn’t hold the car past 3 days! I would of picked up the car on Monday and that would of been the 4th day. If I would of known a bit sooner, I would of definitely made travel arrangements to accommodate the Sunday pick up! Now I have to wait another 2-4 weeks...
You have to wonder how much things like this actually cost them. It's certainly not free for them to redirect the vehicle to another buyer, coordinate a surprise delivery, etc. In some cases I'd expect this also actually results in them holding onto the car longer. Bizarre.

Quarter-end approaches. Tesla is in a frenzy to complete sales for EVERY vehicle in the country before the clock strikes midnight September 30. Experience likely shows that a postponed delivery presages trouble.
  • High odds the intended buyer will eventually be unable to complete the deal before quarter ends.
  • More work to complete even later in the quarter when time is limited and workload higher.
  • More vehicles choking the lot, throwing sand in the gears.
You might be able to work Tesla’s impatience to your benefit. If your paperwork - insurance, finance, etc. - is in order try contacting the Delivery team. Explain you could accept delivery as early as (name the date) if that would streamline their logistics.

If there’s a car that meets your specs in hand, they might shift it to you. You enjoy shorter wait, Tesla reduces on-hand inventory.

I used this strategy to get my wife’s Model 3 Stealth Performance 10 days earlier than scheduled delivery September two years ago. Tesla was still ramping up production, the car was in short supply. The new date was far more convenient for us, though that was irrelevant to Tesla.

Last edited: